ADVERTISEMENT

The rebels have the plans to deathstar....Tom ryan speaks on tO$U 16-17 lineup

Nato staying at 125 makes Iowa stronger point-wise imo. I think Nato beats Clark, but loses to Gilman.

Nato staying at 125 makes Iowa stronger point-wise imo. I think Nato beats Clark, but loses to Gilman.

And Micic, Dance could beat either on any given day. I know they wouldnt be favored, but to project all that is just too much at this point IMHO

Last edited:
Considering Tomasello is the only guy that will be at 125 that has shown to be capable of defeating Gilman, I'd say this is clearly not beneficial to Iowa. Now whether it benefits PSU or not, that's another question that may not be answered until Saturday at nationals because at this point I consider it just as likely that we may need Gilman to beat Tomasello.

Wait a minute.. Tom Ryan says Tomasello is staying at 125? 21guns told us it was a FACT he would go 133? Who do we believe!?! Maybe 21guns has a friend of a friend that is closer to the program than Tom Ryan? Head scratcher i tell ya

Considering Tomasello is the only guy that will be at 125 that has shown to be capable of defeating Gilman, I'd say this is clearly not beneficial to Iowa. Now whether it benefits PSU or not, that's another question that may not be answered until Saturday at nationals because at this point I consider it just as likely that we may need Gilman to beat Tomasello.
That is certainly one take on it, but to me, Gilman is less vulnerable than Clark would be with regard to Nato. I think Gilman wins a title if Nato is in the mix. I don't think that way with Clark. But anything is possible in June.

Certainly Gilman could beat Nato again making the point moot, but even then that may be his only decision win of the tournament. Gilman has the potential to score a ton of points next year. In regard to 133, the way I see it Nato is a complete unknown and there's no reason to think he could beat Clark or Richards until he proves himself up a weight.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
Certainly Gilman could beat Nato again making the point moot, but even then that may be his only decision win of the tournament. Gilman has the potential to score a ton of points next year. In regard to 133, the way I see it Nato is a complete unknown and there's no reason to think he could beat Clark or Richards until he proves himself up a weight.

That and I don't see Pletcher as an AA next year at 133 for the Tans

That is certainly one take on it, but to me, Gilman is less vulnerable than Clark would be with regard to Nato. I think Gilman wins a title if Nato is in the mix. I don't think that way with Clark. But anything is possible in June.

Certainly entitled to your opinion, but have a hard time in how you are arriving at it. I get that many prefer Gilman's style over Clark's - count me among them - but I've got to go off what the wrestlers have done on the mat - including the most recent history.

Gilman and NATO have faced off 3 times in the past 2 years. Gilman winning twice in OT, NATO once by a point.

Meanwhile, Clark has been established at a weight higher for a year already and has a appearance in the finals there.

NATO vs. Clark at 133 - I'm picking Clark.
NATO vs. Gilman at 125 - coin flip.

Certainly entitled to your opinion, but have a hard time in how you are arriving at it. I get that many prefer Gilman's style over Clark's - count me among them - but I've got to go off what the wrestlers have done on the mat - including the most recent history.

Gilman and NATO have faced off 3 times in the past 2 years. Gilman winning twice in OT, NATO once by a point.

Meanwhile, Clark has been established at a weight higher for a year already and has a appearance in the finals there.

NATO vs. Clark at 133 - I'm picking Clark.
NATO vs. Gilman at 125 - coin flip.
Like you said, you're entitled to your opinion. We only have 9 months to find out.

If Pletcher can't make 125, then I think tOSU's line-up is stronger with NaTo at 125. I don't see NaTo's chances as being much different at either weight--he'll definitely be in the title mix at either weight. But, Pletcher could score some points at 133 that could help them out.

BTW--I think NaTo had somewhat of a sophomore slump. I'm not just talking of his non-repeat. In tough matches he looked a lot more cautious (including against Nico) than he looked as a FR. He may get back to being more aggressive against tough competition this year--and I think that works to his favor.

C. Clark is a 2x finalist @33

Nato had 1 O.T. loss in the ncaa semi's and beat the champ 2x. Some slump

Poor Micah Jordan, we hardly knew ye.

11667418.jpeg

If Pletcher can't make 125, then I think tOSU's line-up is stronger with NaTo at 125. I don't see NaTo's chances as being much different at either weight--he'll definitely be in the title mix at either weight. But, Pletcher could score some points at 133 that could help them out.

BTW--I think NaTo had somewhat of a sophomore slump. I'm not just talking of his non-repeat. In tough matches he looked a lot more cautious (including against Nico) than he looked as a FR. He may get back to being more aggressive against tough competition this year--and I think that works to his favor.
I thought NaTo was having trouble making 125? He looked big.

I thought NaTo was having trouble making 125? He looked big.

He's big but he's on the shorter side. Super Strong.

NaTo staying at 25 is necessary for Ohio State to compete this year. Same with Jordan to 49. Ke-Shawn is good, but I have trouble seeing him do better than Micah at the Big Show this year. I'm also not entirely sure if the move up will work for Jordan either. Micah lost to guys who could neutralize his length, and he didn't set the world on fire when he was at 49 his redshirt year. Granted that was 2 years ago. It's a weird amount of questions for four guys who have such ridiculous talent down low. But if you're Ohio State, what other choice do you have?

I would’ve thought the middle lineup problem would be solved with Isaiah White but he wasn’t mentioned. Odd. It’s either that or you have a hole at 65 or 84 depending on choice.

Reactions: TexasLion1979
Poor Micah Jordan, we hardly knew ye.

11667418.jpeg
Get ready for some trumped-up concussion protocol shenanigans right CJ and Pucillo?

After all, both of you are still hanging on to the Stieber flu and average official excuses.

Man, I would have loved to see a 21-22 year old Zain against the 23 year old Stieber he beat almost 3 years ago

NaTo staying at 25 is necessary for Ohio State to compete this year. Same with Jordan to 49. Ke-Shawn is good, but I have trouble seeing him do better than Micah at the Big Show this year. I'm also not entirely sure if the move up will work for Jordan either. Micah lost to guys who could neutralize his length, and he didn't set the world on fire when he was at 49 his redshirt year. Granted that was 2 years ago. It's a weird amount of questions for four guys who have such ridiculous talent down low. But if you're Ohio State, what other choice do you have?

I would’ve thought the middle lineup problem would be solved with Isaiah White but he wasn’t mentioned. Odd. It’s either that or you have a hole at 65 or 84 depending on choice.
Good post. More questions than answers, normal for this time of year.

NaTo going 125 was a question mark, even for Ohio State forum posters, appears that question has been answered.

Ke-Shawn went 26-1 last year (redshirt), two-third's by bonus, but his best win was against Ronnie Perry of Lock Haven. A much-better-than-average wrestler, but 141 is stacked with all but Mecate back from the top-8 as well as Jack and Gross from R12. He'll take some losses, and any prediction for AA is pure speculation.

M. Jordan at 149 is a good move for their team, but again, pure speculation re. success at this new weight. He was 26-4 at 141, with almost all close decisions (wins and losses) against the top guys, and 149 returns everyone except DePalma, as well as Lugo, Finesilver and Cimato from R12. Moves up to a more comfortable weight many times works out for guys, but predicting a high AA finish here is speculation too.

My sense is that White is a guy who might need a year to get his feet under himself academically before he's ready for the grind of a D1 season.

By the way (and sorry if someone mentioned this in another thread) there was an excellent story in the New York Times yesterday about the last days of Kosta Kostageorge, the tOSU heavyweight who went missing and was eventually found dead a few years ago. Sad tale with no PSU connection whatsoever, but it's worth a read if you have the time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/27/sports/kosta-karageorge-cte-concussions-suicide.html?_r=0

In a PSU vs OSU dual meet I see a five/five split against that lineup.

Key tossups being Bo vs Bo, Hayes vs Jimmy, Cortez vs Pletcher, although Id give us a slight edge in each of those. I'd give the Bucks 125, 184, Hwt. I like our chances.
In a PSU vs OSU dual meet I see a five/five split against that lineup.

I feel like the Pokes would present the greatest dual challenge next year. They matchup real well with us

Most wrestlers coming out of redshirt would be classified as "speculation". Ke-Shawn Hayes also split with Matthew Kolodzik who also split with Anthony Ashnault. Kolodzik is also a threat to reach the podium this year. Micah Jordan moving up to 149# should be interesting for the reasons already mentioned.

no proof or evidence, just my own opinion, I take this as simple coach speak. Too early to tell if he can suck down to 25. I will be surprised if he does and if so, will be anxious of what his 3rd periods will look like.

NaTo Dec Siriano 3-0
Cortez Dec Pletcher 3-3
Hayes Dec Gulibon 6-3
Zain MD Jordan 6-7
Nolf TF Ryan 6-12
Joseph MD Kresevic (would be a toss up with White) 6-16
Bo Dec Bo 6-19
Martin Dec Cutch/Rasheed 9-19
Moore Dec Cassar 12-19
Snyder MD Nevills 16-19

NaTo Dec Siriano 3-0
Cortez Dec Pletcher 3-3
Hayes Dec Gulibon 6-3
Zain MD Jordan 6-7
Nolf TF Ryan 6-12
Joseph MD Kresevic (would be a toss up with White) 6-16
Bo Dec Bo 6-19
Martin Dec Cutch/Rasheed 9-19
Moore Dec Cassar 12-19
Snyder MD Nevills 16-19

Moore over Cassar, that's high praise for the kid if Cassar is healthy. I know, Big IF.

Moore over Cassar, that's high praise for the kid if Cassar is healthy. I know, Big IF.

Agreed - I don't see that IF Cassar is healthy.

Pletcher could give Cortez some issues in neutral, although I know Cortez will give him big issues on the mat.

IF Cassar is healthy, I'd take him. That is far from a certainty though, so I went with Moore.

I think most of us are high on a healthy Cards are (I am), but he's far from a proven commodity. The tournament he won to advance to world's was not a deep tourney at all. I guess all I'm saying is, Moore and Cassar do not have vastly different resumes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT