ADVERTISEMENT

The odd nature of "jitters" regarding Trace last week..

BisbeeMike

Jul 6, 2017
Trace has played in many big games in his career, including the run last year to the title, OSU, MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, the Rose Bowl, etc, and yet he said he had jitters for the Pitt game. I immediately thought of a comparison to someone from the entertainment world who just recently described the same thing. Noel Gallagher, who has played countless stadium concerts for what was at one time the biggest group in England, Oasis, who recently described how he was more nervous and jittery for the concert for Manchester, for the tragedy. Gallagher of course is from Manchester, and it meant so much to him, something personal and more to him. This comparsion I thought rang true somehow, in that I do not think this is anything of a pattern or of that nature, but rather an odd occurance that can happen to great athletes, performers, etc, when the situation strikes so intensely personal and intimate to them. I think the fact that it was Pitt, it was that horror last year, the comeback and then the tragic ending, then Dorsett and his classless, vile remarks, etc.

I'll go ahead and call it now: You won't see that again from Trace. Glad we got that out of the way. Now it's all about business.

He's may be one of those kids who settles down and plays his best after he takes a good hit! Anyway, that's my take.

Athletes get jitters, performers get jitters, heck I was more nervous about the game Sat than I've been in a long time. Humans with human nature.

Played in a club event at my club today, played the best I've played in 4-5 years with an 83.....and my knees are both still sore from knocking into each other over those two foot putts that are usually given (or taken) week after week.

I also think JoMo left the playbook pretty vanilla - no sense wasting the good plays on Akron/Pitt - I think Trace is best when we open it up which was not needed with the bottom feeders we played the first 2 and soon to be 3 weeks.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Trace has played in many big games in his career, including the run last year to the title, OSU, MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, the Rose Bowl, etc, and yet he said he had jitters for the Pitt game. I immediately thought of a comparison to someone from the entertainment world who just recently described the same thing. Noel Gallagher, who has played countless stadium concerts for what was at one time the biggest group in England, Oasis, who recently described how he was more nervous and jittery for the concert for Manchester, for the tragedy. Gallagher of course is from Manchester, and it meant so much to him, something personal and more to him. This comparsion I thought rang true somehow, in that I do not think this is anything of a pattern or of that nature, but rather an odd occurance that can happen to great athletes, performers, etc, when the situation strikes so intensely personal and intimate to them. I think the fact that it was Pitt, it was that horror last year, the comeback and then the tragic ending, then Dorsett and his classless, vile remarks, etc.

I'll go ahead and call it now: You won't see that again from Trace. Glad we got that out of the way. Now it's all about business.
It has to be said that it's kind of a thing with him. Certainly happened in the Rose Bowl where he looked terrible early on and I think it's been one reason that we've struggled to get the offense going until the second half of games.

I have told others this....Trace wanted this game badly. More than I did...more than most of us. Don't forget the way Tony dorsett disrespected this kid. This was a big deal for Trace. Monkey off his back now.

Reactions: denniskembala
Credit where due, Pitt played a good game defensively and was well coached. Trace missed four throws by my count. We played a conservative game down the stretch and couldn't get our offense on the field. We only had something like 60 offensive plays.

He had the jitters because even though no one can admit its a big rivalry- its a big rivalry. He couldn't lose to Pitt again. At home.

The game plan was more at fault than Trace. Barkley with 5 touches in the first half? Come on.........

Reactions: denniskembala

A lot of athletes have the jitters until they get hit and the jitters leave. Maybe he should have called his number first with a QB drawl?

After two games, from my perch, Trace seems to be throwing a lot of high fastballs that are sailing on him. I know he worked hard to improve arm strength but did he improve it too much? Just have to corral that in time for the B1G season.

I also think JoMo left the playbook pretty vanilla - no sense wasting the good plays on Akron/Pitt - I think Trace is best when we open it up which was not needed with the bottom feeders we played the first 2 and soon to be 3 weeks.
Worried Moorhead is not a .........genius. Especially since he hasn't figured out how to get TM off to a better start. Is a 7 yard out in his vaunted .......playbook?

All you have to do is read Callahan's breakdown of the offense to realize how great an OC Moorhead is.

To me he was obviously jittery in his play compare to his usual self. Normally he will step forward to pass the ball when pressured but he ran away from it towards the sidelines in this game and through the ball away a lot. I think he'll be fine moving forward.

The term "Jitters" was used by Trace himself. It's not my words, nor anyone else's, just Trace's. Take it up with him.

Athletes get jitters, performers get jitters, heck I was more nervous about the game Sat than I've been in a long time. Humans with human nature.

Played in a club event at my club today, played the best I've played in 4-5 years with an 83.....and my knees are both still sore from knocking into each other over those two foot putts that are usually given (or taken) week after week.
An 83 at your age is to be admired. A friend recently told me, "Face it. At our age we aren't getting any longer so we have to get better shorter." Still working on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT