ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Big Thing

Serious question (and open to anyone with knowledge).....what drone are you flying. Recommendations, what to look for on a purchase, dos and donts, experiences, etc.

We do a lot of traveling and i was thinking of getting into this type of thing.

Sorry ahead of time for my (non-wrestling) ramble. One of my few hobbies....at least its not politics.

I’m far from an expert, but flying drones has got me into photography (used to hate it). I have a DJI Mavic pro (4K) and a DJI Spark, both of which are very portable and I carry in my backpack….together. If you are just starting it depends on how much you want to spend, just like with camera’s. You can get the spark with what you need for about $550. That is the entry point price (imo) for something that will meet most anyone’s needs, be easy to fly, and get decent video, multiple batteries, etc.

The Mavic pro will cost $1000 or more (with extra battery, etc). I love the Mavic and it is my favorite (I also have a Phantom 3), but there is a new Mavic Air that is a few hundred cheaper and at this point pretty much just as good.

Could go on and on, but right now DJI rules the air. The Mavic or the Spark are small, portable, easy to fly, great pic/vid. There is not much price differential (few sales) no matter where you buy. Get the Mavic if you want (and are "allowed" ;)) to spend that kind of money (Air until the new Pro comes out and save a few hundred), Spark if you can't justify to yourself the extra $$.

I flew at the Great wall in China back in March, Iceland last year, and of course here at home all over. Lot of fun. I never leave home without a drone just in case. Going to Alaska in Aug (driving inland) and looking forward to some cool places and to get some good video. Have had zero issues with customs or taking it anywhere. Mostly you need to know batteries have to be carried with you when you fly (can’t be checked), and you just need to know where you are allowed to fly, stay away from the crowds, follow the rules and be courteous. Most people won’t even notice or care if you do that.

I really enjoy flying, but also gives a different view of places and allows a non-camera type person like me to contribute to remembering a trip.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
The Hawks are not going to be the favorites in 2019/20.
Teske
Teasdale (RBY RS)
Lee
Verk
Berge
Cenzo
Hall
Brooks
Beard
Seth or AC

That is more than a year out, but it is certainly a lineup that will likely be favored to continue the roll.

We will definitely be strong in 2 years; any team with 2 returning national champions and an AA, with the three returning from this past year's team, is one to be reckoned with.

Next season will tell us a lot about the future of the bottom half of the lineup, and I am in the camp that they will do quite well. Brooks will be huge right out of the gate. Teske and Verk are two of the bigger question marks in tough weight classes. I would be surprised however if they don't AA.

That said, the projected lineup still includes 7 kids we haven't yet seen, so a 70% uncertainly factor is a lot.

Last edited:
Right on queue.

For those who had Turk with a response before lunch, see the pretty lady at the counter and collect your winnings.

#nottiredofwinning
What, do you think I go away? I'm here on the daily. Don't be so surprised when I post a message

I don't really think it is any big deal that an Iowa centered media outlet wrote a very PRO Iowa article about a young athlete that they have high hopes for. You have to do something in the off season to keep the fans excited and anticipating the upcoming season. As far as him thinking he would have won NCAAs, I don't think he would have but as an aspiring athlete you can't go into things thinking about losing. You go in thinking about what you need to do to win.

As long as he isn't against PSU and as long as Iowa doesn't beat PSU at NCAAs I am perfectly happy if he does win plenty of matches.

We will definitely be strong in 2 years; any team with 2 returning national champions and an AA, with the three returning from this past year's team, is one to be reckoned with.

Next season will tell us a lot about the future of the bottom half of the lineup, and I am in the camp that they will do quite well. Brooks will be huge right out of the gate. Teske and Verk are two of the bigger question marks in tough weight classes. I would be surprised however if they don't AA.

That said, the projected lineup still includes 7 kids we haven't yet seen, so a 70% uncertainly factor is a lot.
All future peaks are guesses dealing with uncertainties. The thing that makes me feel pretty good about those Penn State uncertain guesses is the Sanderson track record. Unless the successes this program has enjoyed has been due to repeated dumb-ass good luck I would expect elite talent to continue to develop top flight skills and succeed at extraordinary levels.

In other words. It isn't all just guessing.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I don't really think it is any big deal that an Iowa centered media outlet wrote a very PRO Iowa article about a young athlete that they have high hopes for. You have to do something in the off season to keep the fans excited and anticipating the upcoming season. As far as him thinking he would have won NCAAs, I don't think he would have but as an aspiring athlete you can't go into things thinking about losing. You go in thinking about what you need to do to win.

As long as he isn't against PSU and as long as Iowa doesn't beat PSU at NCAAs I am perfectly happy if he does win plenty of matches.
+1

Why all the vitriol?
Most of the vitriol is not directed at the article, but rather at our HR guest who for some bizarre reason feels compelled to police the content of this board. You know, the same guest who says he is "bowing out" of the thread (thankfully), then comes back later, and then apparently doesn't understand when folks poke fun at him for coming back. :confused:o_O

Most of the vitriol is not directed at the article, but rather at our HR guest who for some bizarre reason feels compelled to police the content of this board. You know, the same guest who says he is "bowing out" of the thread (thankfully), then comes back later, and then apparently doesn't understand when folks poke fun at him for coming back. :confused:o_O
I "bowed" out for the night 6 days ago last Sunday. Big difference between policing and defending btw

I submitted a request that his Mod over on HR come here and demand that the Hawkeye fan base grow thicker skin and quit being crybabies.

I’ll let ya know when I hear something....

I submitted a request that his Mod over on HR come here and demand that the Hawkeye fan base grow thicker skin and quit being crybabies.

I’ll let ya know when I hear something....
If you had thicker skin you wouldn't have got banned multiple times on HR.

I mean if he wouldn't have lost his cool and lashed out multiple times due to his thin skin he wouldn't have been banned. Attack? or defend?

I mean if he wouldn't have lost his cool and lashed out multiple times due to his thin skin he wouldn't have been banned. Attack? or defend?
You have a distorted memory of what went on over there. Tell me who I lashed out at or when I lost my cool. Ya see, doing that more than likely means I’d be breaking rules. That’s where your mod was stuck between a rock and hard place. He had your crybaby fan base over there begging him to “delete” me yet I wasn’t giving him a reason to do so. What was he to do?

Not sure his decision to call you all out as being thin skinned was the right decision but it sure made for some sweet entertainment..... To me anyway. He did ban me soon after but he pretty much admitted it was easier to just go ahead and do that instead of listening to you whine. His post didn’t solve anything....in fact, it made it worse for him so he gave in.

And so you you know, being banned was well worth it. Absolutely loved one of your guys finally admitting many of your fans there can’t stand hearing opposing views and opinions. I mean it was something everyone already knew but it was quite refreshing having your moderator validate it for the rest of us.

You have a distorted memory of what went on over there. Tell me who I lashed out at or when I lost my cool. Ya see, doing that more than likely means I’d be breaking rules. That’s where your mod was stuck between a rock and hard place. He had your crybaby fan base over there begging him to “delete” me yet I wasn’t giving him a reason to do so. What was he to do?

Not sure his decision to call you all out as being thin skinned was the right decision but it sure made for some sweet entertainment..... To me anyway. He did ban me soon after but he pretty much admitted it was easier to just go ahead and do that instead of listening to you whine. His post didn’t solve anything....in fact, it made it worse for him so he gave in.

And so you you know, being banned was well worth it. Absolutely loved one of your guys finally admitting many of your fans there can’t stand hearing opposing views and opinions. I mean it was something everyone already knew but it was quite refreshing having your moderator validate it for the rest of us.
As I've told you before, I too broke no rules over there (still waiting for someone to show me where I broke a rule) but was banned, I assume, due to the similar types of crying that was directed at you.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I do enjoy the 'geez I get so tired of HR saying all the same things about us' now it's the banging the 'cry baby, I didn't do anything' drum

Absolutely loved one of your guys finally admitting many of your fans there can’t stand hearing opposing views and opinions. I mean it was something everyone already knew but it was quite refreshing having your moderator validate it for the rest of us.

Pretty sure that happens here often.

This thread must be a example of "banter" between fan bases o_O.

ban·ter

(băn′tər)
n.
Good-humored, playful, or teasing conversation.
v. ban·tered, ban·ter·ing, ban·ters
v.intr.
To engage in banter: bantered with her colleagues during a coffee break.
v.tr.
To speak to in a playful or teasing way: "

Apparently this is needed for more than one measurement in this thread.

FUJISAN-Digital-Vernier-Calipers-0-150mm-0-01-Stainless-Steel-Micrometer-Gauge-Electronic-Measurement-Instruments.jpg_640x640.jpg

As I've told you before, I too broke no rules over there (still waiting for someone to show me where I broke a rule) but was banned, I assume, due to the similar types of crying that was directed at you.

If I remember correctly, you thought Johnny Jimenez would give Spencer Lee a good test at the UNI Open. That’s enough to get banned on every wrestling message board. ;)

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
If I remember correctly, you thought Johnny Jimenez would give Spencer Lee a good test at the UNI Open. That’s enough to get banned on every wrestling message board. ;)
Yes, I did, because of three factors at that time. Jimenez was a bit of a veteran and Lee had not even had his first collegiate match yet. Second, and relatedly, wrestlers in high school and wrestlers in college can be two different animals. Three, and, to me, most importantly, I follow high school wrestling NONE, so I didn't know Spencer Lee from the man on the moon, other than the hype I was hearing about him that very day of the UNI Open.

So, what's your point? That I was wrong thinking that Jimenez would give him a test? So, if I can still make my life go on after such an egregious error, why can't you?

Ah, I forgot! I WAS right either the same day or a couple of days later about one thing said on HR about Lee: two people said that he'd never lose. I called them out, and, guess what happened not long after? ;)

Yes, I did, because of three factors at that time. Jimenez was a bit of a veteran and Lee had not even had his first collegiate match yet. Second, and relatedly, wrestlers in high school and wrestlers in college can be two different animals. Three, and, to me, most importantly, I follow high school wrestling NONE, so I didn't know Spencer Lee from the man on the moon, other than the hype I was hearing about him that very day of the UNI Open.

So, what's your point? That I was wrong thinking that Jimenez would give him a test? So, if I can still make my life go on after such an egregious error, why can't you?

It was a joke, hence the wink. Thanks for the clarification on your reasoning though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT