ADVERTISEMENT

the most random summertime non-wrestling post ever

Conewago

Jul 10, 2017
Folks, I am desperate for information on a certain subject and I figure this forum could be a good place to ask because this forum should have people from across all of Pennsylvania.

Here in south-central PA, I'm convinced I'm seeing fewer fireflies aka lightning bugs with each passing year. For context, my area is rural, primarily agricultural. There are few things more pleasurable than sitting outside getting buzzed while watching fireflies. Tonight it's Glenmorangie La Santa on the rocks.

I want to know what the rest of you are seeing in either rural or suburban areas of Pennsylvania.

I've noticed a downward trend--though this year it may be in part because temps have been quite cool so far. Peak here in State College is typically around the 4th of July or so.

Reactions: hlstone and ccdiver
Folks, I am desperate for information on a certain subject and I figure this forum could be a good place to ask because this forum should have people from across all of Pennsylvania.

Here in south-central PA, I'm convinced I'm seeing fewer fireflies aka lightning bugs with each passing year. For context, my area is rural, primarily agricultural. There are few things more pleasurable than sitting outside getting buzzed while watching fireflies. Tonight it's Glenmorangie La Santa on the rocks.

I want to know what the rest of you are seeing in either rural or suburban areas of Pennsylvania.

I have noticed a drop off in recent years with fireflies or lightning bugs. Here in Lycoming County the mountains are brown from spongy (gypsy) moth infestation. We have only received about ⅓ " of rain in May and 1" so far in June. That can't help the little buggers.

I have noticed a drop off in recent years with fireflies or lightning bugs. Here in Lycoming County the mountains are brown from spongy (gypsy) moth infestation. We have only received about ⅓ " of rain in May and 1" so far in June. That can't help the little buggers.
God I hate those gypsy moths. The turn the woods to November in June.

They first invaded in 1981 as a I recall and we used to sleep with open windows as folks had no A/C. You could hear them munching at night and then they would be all over the road and then were like green ice because they were engorged with semi-digested leaves.

The worst was when we had a fairly rare for the area tornado 42 years ago today (6/21/81). We saw the funnel and couldn't quite believe what we were seeing.

(there was a high end EF-2 in Wilkes Barre five years ago, and another in Mountaintop in Dec 2006.)

As I recall the twister blew the damn things all over somebody's siding with the green semi-digested leaves staining the hell out of the siding and there was a rumor that the insurance company tried to deny coverage on the basis that it was insect damage-typically excludable as opposed to wind damage, which is generally covered with the right sort of policy.

What I haven't seen this year, either is those disgusting lantern flies that make multiple appearances.

Last edited:
Reactions: creamery freak
Explanation:
I have a few grandkids. I have recently shown them a summer time activity from when I was younger. On nice summer evenings, we would go out back with our whiffle ball bats and use the fire flies and moths as BP. The other day the bats were littered with remnants of moths and fireflies. We thinned the herd significantly.

Explanation:
I have a few grandkids. I have recently shown them a summer time activity from when I was younger. On nice summer evenings, we would go out back with our whiffle ball bats and use the fire flies and moths as BP. The other day the bats were littered with remnants of moths and fireflies. We thinned the herd significantly.
giphy.gif

The fantastic Stuff You Should Know Podcast did an episode on fireflies, well worth the listen:

They talk about why there are less around in modern times.

Explanation:
You didn't smear them on your face like glow-in-the-dark war paint?

Reactions: hlstone and SJP80
of course we did. However the daughter in law would not appreciate passing that down to the grandkids

I’m pretty sure it’s just your Flo feed buffering, making it seem like there’s less.

Reactions: Ski
I think you’re a little early in the season. Usually the peak time that I see them is when the corn is chest high. So beautiful!!!
But then again, I’m in Iowa.

I miss Pennsylvania fireflies. The firefly species in California don't light up. (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere.)

I think you’re a little early in the season. Usually the peak time that I see them is when the corn is chest high. So beautiful!!!
But then again, I’m in Iowa.
Fireflies in this part of the country generally get more active in mid to late June. It has been rather cold for a Pennsylvania June, but I wonder how much the seemingly nonstop growth in herbicide or pesticide application affects them. I can say that changes in life since the second World War ultimately devastated a few larger species, like the bobwhite quail (I've never heard this once-abundant bird in my life).

For the record, I think Iowa is a really beautiful state, although I would like to have seen it (and PA) 80 years ago when family farming - and draft horses - was still a thing.

saving power by keeping their lights off!havent been out much in the dark but we usually have them here in Erie well I am in Girard!

Explanation:
Anyone have the local phone number for PETA?

This is bullshit. I just said the same thing to my wife last night and I live in central pa.

Reactions: creamery freak
Fireflies in this part of the country generally get more active in mid to late June. It has been rather cold for a Pennsylvania June, but I wonder how much the seemingly nonstop growth in herbicide or pesticide application affects them. I can say that changes in life since the second World War ultimately devastated a few larger species, like the bobwhite quail (I've never heard this once-abundant bird in my life).

For the record, I think Iowa is a really beautiful state, although I would like to have seen it (and PA) 80 years ago when family farming - and draft horses - was still a thing.
I laugh (not at you). There is a saying about corn: “knee high by the 4th of July”. With modern technology here in Iowa… the farmers are disappointed if the corn isn’t over chest high by the 4th 😂😂😂.
Quail here in Iowa took a big hit as the farmers got rid of all the fence rows. Fence rows are where the quail thrive, unlike pheasant that like open fields of prairie grass.

quail also took a hit when trapping tailed off. A lot of quail predators would be trapped or accidentally trapped. Now we need folks to realize mature forests don't provide a lot of habitat - especially since I'm a grouse pursuer

I noticed that several years ago here in Central Missouri. However, this year seems to be a recovery season as the woods are loaded with them. Happy to see them lighting up the darkness.

God I hate those gypsy moths. The turn the woods to November in June.

They first invaded in 1981 as a I recall and we used to sleep with open windows as folks had no A/C. You could hear them munching at night and then they would be all over the road and then were like green ice because they were engorged with semi-digested leaves.

The worst was when we had a fairly rare for the area tornado 42 years ago today (6/21/81). We saw the funnel and couldn't quite believe what we were seeing.

(there was a high end EF-2 in Wilkes Barre five years ago, and another in Mountaintop in Dec 2006.)

As I recall the twister blew the damn things all over somebody's siding with the green semi-digested leaves staining the hell out of the siding and there was a rumor that the insurance company tried to deny coverage on the basis that it was insect damage-typically excludable as opposed to wind damage, which is generally covered with the right sort of policy.

What I haven't seen this year, either is those disgusting lantern flies that make multiple appearances.
Just some info they changed the name to spongy moth the term gypsy is offensive to some I guess

While I have heard of diminishing numbers (I think lawn chemicals is a major cause), last year here in Lancaster County the display was quite spectacular. A few nights (I can't remember the month) it was so amazing I had to take a seat and watch it from my patio. Seeing a fair amount so far this year, especially in my neighbor's yard who doesn't treat her lawn.

When I was a kid my brother and his friends used to do the whiffle ball game with these poor critters......I always despised that senseless act towards such a beautiful, peaceful little creature. It especially makes no sense as their numbers are dwindling in so many places.

Reactions: drock1971

I noticed that several years ago here in Central Missouri. However, this year seems to be a recovery season as the woods are loaded with them. Happy to see them lighting up the darkness.
This. I was home over Memorial Day weekend ( I travel a lot for work) and I noticed probably more than I have ever seen across my fields.

Reactions: KCLion and hlstone
My neighbors all get their lawns sprayed for mosquitoes, ticks, lantern flies. unfortunately, it rids the area of fireflies as well

Lawn chemicals have decimated fireflies as well as bees and butterflies. Things you can do:

Allow logs to rot. Fireflies spend up to 95% of their lives in larval stages. They live in rotting logs, soil/mud/leaf litter and spend from 1-2 years growing until finally pupating to become adults.

Turn your lights off at night (lights can confuse them when they’re trying to mate).

Refrain from using lawn chemicals.

Plant a garden! Gardens are meccas for fireflies, helping to replace lost habitat. They also supply fireflies with lots of food sources. If you have garden snails, slugs, worms, and other insects, fireflies can lend a hand by helping to control these pests. Plus, females need a place to lay eggs and gardens offer an oasis with a source of soil moisture for larval development.

I laugh (not at you). There is a saying about corn: “knee high by the 4th of July”. With modern technology here in Iowa… the farmers are disappointed if the corn isn’t over chest high by the 4th 😂😂😂.
Quail here in Iowa took a big hit as the farmers got rid of all the fence rows. Fence rows are where the quail thrive, unlike pheasant that like open fields of prairie grass.
Hmmm…What is this “Iowa“ you speak of?

quail also took a hit when trapping tailed off. A lot of quail predators would be trapped or accidentally trapped. Now we need folks to realize mature forests don't provide a lot of habitat - especially since I'm a grouse pursuer
These are good points. In the rural US, we've seen a homogenization of sorts in forests and on farms.

As for Iowa, that's a state where quail have had an interesting history, and it's one you see for quail in most of the Midwest as well as in the farming counties of south-central PA:
- they were light in numbers before European settlement; they lived in brushy areas after fires and in oak savanna type habitat - there was not a lot of either of these sorts of transition zones
- after European settlement, farm rows were huge, there were still some fires, people trapped, and there were few or no pesticides or herbicides so quail numbers were huge
- After the government incentivized industrialization*, fences were removed, farm rows became extremely tight, 'cide usage dramatically increased, and insect numbers plummeted

Today there are still more quail in Iowa than in PA, but my understanding is that their numbers are very hit or miss. Oklahoma and Texas are said to still have very good quail hunting.

*for those interested: the book 'Industrializing the Corn Belt' by JL Anderson is good

I saw a show on this a few years ago. lighting bugs need leaf litter for their eggs. I started sheading my leaf and spreading around my bushes and a waste area the last 3 years. I would guess the lighting bugs have increased by 10x over the last three years. I can look out my back window and see a yard full of them. I live in the Harrisburg area.

Just some info they changed the name to spongy moth the term gypsy is offensive to some I guess

I had about as much of this name changing crap as I could stand when the Government Accounting Standards Board changed the name of what was called the "Comprehensive Annual Financial Report" to "Annual Comprehensive Financial Report" because it was commonly called a "Caffer" and that was a homophone of a South African racial slur.

"This Statement was developed in response to concerns raised by stakeholders that the common pronunciation of the acronym for comprehensive annual financial report sounds like a profoundly objectionable racial slur. This Statement’s introduction of the new term is founded on a commitment to promoting inclusiveness."

I saw a show on this a few years ago. lighting bugs need leaf litter for their eggs. I started sheading my leaf and spreading around my bushes and a waste area the last 3 years. I would guess the lighting bugs have increased by 10x over the last three years. I can look out my back window and see a yard full of them. I live in the Harrisburg area.

Know anybody at Gannett-Fleming?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT