ADVERTISEMENT

The Morning After

I flew home with the Cornell team (along with Moore/Lock Haven as well) - it was amusing to see the Cornell guys have to shove their team trophy into the overhead storage compartment wrapped in a t-shirt.

Sat next to Vito’s mom on the plane. Vito said “I’m going to the very back to get some sleep.” I would say he earned it.
I was on that flight too.

Reactions: PAHURDLER
This seems like as good a thread as any for my recap from KC.

My son and I attended our first ever Nationals, and man, did we pick a good one! New record, 4 champs, and a runaway National Championship! But that barely scratched the surface for us. 4 days of just the two of us, no work computer/phone, and nothing but quality time made for the best four days we may have ever had together!

Since this was our first one and a bucket list trip for me, we sprung for the On Location All-Access package, and it did not disappoint. Free food/drinks before every session, opportunities to meet Zack Esposito, Yianni, Bruce Baumgartner, and Bill Zadick, among others, as well as early access to the arena, photo ops, etc., we definitely got our money's worth (the best part I'll save for later).

Outside of the free food, we ate some BBQ at Burnt Ends BBQ (we were going to try out Jack Stacks, but there was a 2.5-hour wait!), some tacos at the Guy Fieri Dive Joint across the street from the arena (son's favorite, so we actually ate there twice), and got some sushi around the corner from the arena. I'd imagine I saw some of you at the Taco joint before the Finals all making your picks and making bets. While we were there, the Little Rock team was there and highlighted Erisman being selected as Coach of the Year. It was cool to get to celebrate with them. They brought me in even though I was in my PSU gear. Helps to know Pat Smith! Ha.

The wrestling was phenomenal! Thursday was a meat grinder and Friday was unbelievable. Sat in the upper deck next to two PSU fans from Florida and they made for great company. The drunk guys behind us made for good comedic relief between the four of us, and they were much better the rest of the way. I didn't think Friday could be beat, but Saturday was absolutely electric!

On to the best part. My son and I showed up for the Finals and were notified that our All-Access package included seating on the floor! We sat front row, right next to the red walk-out carpet. Absolutely surreal! Sat right next to Cary Kolat! My son got pictures with just about everyone! Got to talk a bit with Starocci, Vito, Cael, Casey and Cody, and others after the Finals.

My personal highlights:
  • 4 days of hanging out with the teenage son
  • A PSU National Championship with 4 individuals
  • New Scoring Record
  • Little Rock with 2 AAs
  • Erisman getting COTY
  • Kasak's run (unbelievable!)
  • Seeing two 4-timers
  • Carter rolling through 2 National Champs on one leg to make the Finals
Absolutely amazing weekend. Best part is my wife saw how much fun my son and I had and suggested we make it an annual trip (I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was hoping to make the same suggestion!). Now, to recover for the next four weeks and then do it again in State College at OTT's!
Love this - thank you!

• Love
Reactions: OzarkLion
Wasn't sure if there'd be a new thread for KC reports, but just saw Ozark's post, so here goes.

Man, what a weekend. This was my sixth, and my Dad's fifth nationals, and it was great. We talked to a guy in SCE who was going to his first, and I told him he's going to get hooked. Then, when we arrived back in SCE, we ran into each other at baggage claim, and he said, "Remember what you said? We're already planning on Philadelphia." It really is a great experience.

Got to meet Kerry McCoy, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He made it seem as though we'd still be standing there talking today, if we had wanted to. For those who don't know, he's the Director of the Lehigh Valley Wrestling Club, which also serves as the RTC.

Saturday afternoon, we were finishing up lunch at Jack Stack (sorry @OzarkLion, we had a reservation), when we heard that Kasak and his family were in the next room. So, we went over to their table and congratulated him. Of course, he was receiving all of the love, when I realized Braeden was sitting on the other side of Tyler. I got his attention, and said, "Next year." He responded with a nod that showed me he appreciated the recognition, and that he left unfinished business in the arena. I predict young Mr. Davis comes back with a vengeance.

Jack Stack was great. Bordeaux and his buddies said Q39 was better, but that you get more food at Jack Stack. I'll have to try Q39 the next time.

On the way home, we sat in the gate area to Chicago with NC State. They were laughing and cutting up, including Trent. While boarding the plane, I had a chat with Adam Hall, who told me they fell short of their goals, but they'll use the losses as growth opportunities, and bounce back. Was able to tell Trent that he had a hell of a career as he walked back to his seat.

I also got to meet Mr.-Likes-to-Messages-Ratio-Man himself, @Johnbrooks, Mrs. Brooks and two of Aaron's younger brothers. They were way calmer walking into the arena than I would have been, that's for sure.

The great thing about the tournament is that, while PSU travels well, you can strike up a conversation with virtually anyone (even Iowa fans). Had breakfast with Kyle Biscoglia's (graduated UNI last year) parents. They happened to sit down beside us, and we easily struck up a conversation.

Final story for this message...I looked down at Carter before his Mekhi match, and I didn't like his body language, facial expression, nor the facial expressions on Cael and Casey, who were kneeling on either side of him, to the point where I told my Dad about it, and that I didn't have a good feeling about it. There were some ISU fans there, who are family friends of the Varners, and one of them was rooting for PSU as much as he was for ISU. I put my head down on the rail in front of me, which this guy saw, and he came over and prayed over me, maybe for the both of us, but I think mostly for me. I don't think God picks sides in sporting events (well, maybe in some cases, like the finals of the Soldier Salute), but it definitely helped me through the match.

Anyway, as always, Nationals was a great time, and I hope to see many more.
It was nice to meet you and your father in the Marriott Lobby.

Reactions: pawrestlersintn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT