ADVERTISEMENT

The key to the season was.....

BobE

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2001
Our offensive preparation from the BW game through the summer. ALL that work and coaching ( with a young, inexperienced OL, among others) totally blew up in our faces in Game 1. Temple perfectly exposed our weaknesses, and the rigors of the regular season made making changes with a severely limited depth chart very hard to accomplish.So we were mostly stuck with what the OC had designed during the off-season. Ugh.

Hack on the other hand, after being nearly taken out by the barrage of the Temple game, began getting involved in more and more complex reads and adjustments that did very little to improve the O's chances of success, but only slowed him waaaay down when it came to doing everything else. I believe he suffered from brain overload with all the offensive changes and challenges. But he hung in there and did his best, under difficult circumstances. And the coaches didnt do a lot to get him back in the groove by rolling him out, changing the drops, etc. Perhaps they couldnt do it fast enough considering the lack of OL cohesion, and issues with TE/RB blocking. But in any case, the past two years have been an offensive nightmare.

The kids rarely knew what they were doing, or why. That's how it seemed to me. So, blame the OC? Sure. His schemes were unworkable with the current talent/experience level. Make a change? Sure. Why would next year be any better with the same play calling tendencies - even with a running QB.

To me, it all boiled down to 24 games without developing a clear offensive strategy that they could implement with the talent at hand.

Thanksgiving means we should count our blessings. That starts with the D Line. Without them we lose a couple more games. And it finishes with the OL who hung in and did their best under trying circumstances, and perhaps a mis-use of their talents. It seemed we were trying to match the OCs idea of his perfect offense, rather than use our available talent to best advantage.

Now its Next Coach Up. Let's hope he's a good one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News