ADVERTISEMENT

The irony of Spanier's conviction

NewEra 2014

Jan 3, 2014
First of all, let me say that I think that Spanier got railroaded, and that he did not deserve the "conviction" that came from a jury of his peers.

But I also think that education at all levels has deteriorated greatly over the past few decades, and Spanier was a part of the cult of academia that made it happen. Critical thinking is just not emphasized in society anymore, and the moral outrage over Sandusky overwhelmed the weak legal case against Spanier. The type of thinking promoted by Spanier and those like him eventually led to his unjustified conviction.

Not a good day for those who wish to maintain a civil society.

Your argument is that Penn State doesn't promote critical thinking? Huh? Doesn't seem to apply to a lot of posters here.

First of all, let me say that I think that Spanier got railroaded, and that he did not deserve the "conviction" that came from a jury of his peers.

But I also think that education at all levels has deteriorated greatly over the past few decades, and Spanier was a part of the cult of academia that made it happen. Critical thinking is just not emphasized in society anymore, and the moral outrage over Sandusky overwhelmed the weak legal case against Spanier. The type of thinking promoted by Spanier and those like him eventually led to his unjustified conviction.

I was never a Spanier fan and did not like the direction he was taking this University. That said, I do not think he was guilty of anything other than bad judgment. The result in his case runs contrary to the facts and the law. I hope it will be overturned on appeal, but I don't have the same confidence as many here.

Your argument is that Penn State doesn't promote critical thinking? Huh? Doesn't seem to apply to a lot of posters here.
I would disagree, but that's beside the point.

Higher education has become a liberal echo chamber where opposing ideas are shouted down. Group think is the norm these days. Say something that's not popular and watch the triggered snowflakes attack.

I would disagree, but that's beside the point.

Higher education has become a liberal echo chamber where opposing ideas are shouted down. Group think is the norm these days. Say something that's not popular and watch the triggered snowflakes attack.
Not my experience. I've found that US students in high school in general may lack critical thinking skills, but they are taught in university, at least in the liberal arts. I was at Penn State for three years during Spanier's reign and didn't feel the way you do. Critical thinking is usually promoted by individual faculty and has nothing to do with the President or administrators.

I don't agree with Spanier's politics either, but this is definitely an issue where we must put our differences aside. A liberal (Spanier) and a conservative (Paterno) both got railroaded and it was both conservatives (Corbett) and liberals (most of the Media and now apparently Shapiro) that are doing the railroading.

Not my experience. I've found that US students in high school in general may lack critical thinking skills, but they are taught in university, at least in the liberal arts. I was at Penn State for three years during Spanier's reign and didn't feel the way you do. Critical thinking is usually promoted by individual faculty and has nothing to do with the President or administrators.
I'm pretty sure Nebraska's student body president warned Penn State about Spanier's social agenda when he was hired.

In any case he's been in higher education since the late 70's (IIRC). To act like he wasn't part of the rise of identity politics in higher education is a bit naive IMO.

That's certainly what OP was referring to.

Reactions: NewEra 2014
The student body at Oral Roberts, Liberty University all thought Spanier was too liberal.
By liberal standards PSU wouldn't make the top 10 in PA.

Reactions: BoulderFish

New Era is a political hack. He's one of those people that thinks education = indoctrination against his political party. Someone said that only one juror had a college degree.

So, "the irony is" ... the truth is the complete opposite of what the OP thinks is true and deemed "irony."

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT