ADVERTISEMENT

The Guys That Stayed.

I’m a good example of injuries. I played college baseball. I tore my UCL (as a result of pitching with a torn labrum all season) and labrum my senior year of college. I recovered, joined the USMC, learned a few skills and have provided well for my family and myself.

It’s always a choice.

Were you an MLB draft pick?

Were you an MLB draft pick?
I had a chance to be a late round draft pick or play independent ball (before the injuries occurred). Obviously not the same as a high round draft pick. My selling point as a player was grit, determination, toughness, and team first above all else. That’s where my value was.

I played with a lot of players who were “elite”, but my coaches always made sure those players were committed to the team. If they weren’t committed to the team, they didn’t play or eventually left on their own. Tough lessons to learn in life, but lessons that are required to be taught at all costs.

I had a chance to be a late round draft pick or play independent ball (before the injuries occurred). Obviously not the same as a high round draft pick. My selling point as a player was grit, determination, toughness, and team first above all else. That’s where my value was.

I played with a lot of players who were “elite”, but my coaches always made sure those players were committed to the team. If they weren’t committed to the team, they didn’t play or eventually left on their own. Tough lessons to learn in life, but lessons that are required to be taught at all costs.
Frankly speaking, I didn’t play with many teammates who had the idea they were better than others. It’s just not something that was as prevalent in the culture during my years of playing.

From an article in The Athletic by Audrey Snyder about the opt outs, a reader wrote a salient reply which I totally agree with:

"The way the opt-outs happened suggests CJF lost this team. To do it at the last minute and still have the gall to stand on the sidelines like you’re still part of the team is the utmost disrespect."

Hard to disagree, and unfortunately, seems like his soft coaching and the day camp that he runs doesn't allow guys to respect him -- hence why he loses the team. This certainly would not be the first time.

I don’t disagree. It’s still a choice. If you’re that worried about concussions then don’t play. Develop a skill and use it to make a living for yourself. Problem solved.
Many of us struggle in old age with physical/health problems but don't have millions in the bank from playing a game.

Reactions: hoflane
From an article in The Athletic by Audrey Snyder about the opt outs, a reader wrote a salient reply which I totally agree with:

"The way the opt-outs happened suggests CJF lost this team. To do it at the last minute and still have the gall to stand on the sidelines like you’re still part of the team is the utmost disrespect."

Hard to disagree, and unfortunately, seems like his soft coaching and the day camp that he runs doesn't allow guys to respect him -- hence why he loses the team. This certainly would not be the first time.
Oh good lord.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Those who opted out are being advised by people offering them big money. It's difficult to blame the players but it shouldn't be allowed. The NCAA has allowed college football to become a disaster.
I dislike the NCAA as much as anyone. The current fiasco exists because the NCAA stuck its head in the sand (or somewhere else) and thought it could maintain the status quo rather than make some concessions in the face of several lawsuits which were successful and resulted in NIL and the associated problems with that. Per usual, the NCAA was a day late and a dollar short and there is little if anything it can do now.

Reactions: bdgan
Oh good lord.
You got it the clueless haters must stay awake at night making up stuff to criticize Franklin about. Question for the dim wits, if Franklin “lost” the team wouldn’t it be more likely that the players would have opted out immediately rather than consider playing up to the last minute and players would have entered the portal in droves? Oh well you can’t fix stupid or biased.

They are now paid like professionals. They need to act like one and play. How about the other young men on the team that do want to win that they are abandoning. And the thousands of fans that spent all that money to hopefully see the team win.

So really, as soon as you have enough highlight film in your third year of college you should stop playing. Correct? Is that next?

You got it the clueless haters must stay awake at night making up stuff to criticize Franklin about. Question for the dim wits, if Franklin “lost” the team wouldn’t it be more likely that the players would have opted out immediately rather than consider playing up to the last minute and players would have entered the portal in droves? Oh well you can’t fix stupid or biased.
Exactly. The transfer portal would be full.

and how about the last minute bait and switch RE opt outs? Was it intentional on anyone’s part to get people to show up? Man, if I paid good money to travel I would be pissed.

and how about the last minute bait and switch RE opt outs? Was it intentional on anyone’s part to get people to show up? Man, if I paid good money to travel I would be pissed.
Maybe it was not to give information to the other team to make the job that much more difficult, much like keeping injury info a secret.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT