ADVERTISEMENT

The Fans; The New Powers of CFB

atcorona27

Jan 22, 2016
Raleigh, NC
This morning on my commute into work, I had an opportunity to listen to a very well thought out discussion about Rutgers and their commitment to football on The First Team. The discussion ranged from the fallout between Rutgers and Schiano and eventually evolved into a broader discussion, where they also likened the Arkansas job to Rutgers, and how coaches these days are unable to spend any sort of meaningful time at a school before they are dismissed because they may not achieve a level of success that is just unrealistic to begin with.

The most fascinating part of the discussion as it went on for myself was the unrealistic expectation portion of the discussion, and what some programs or fans believe to be true that are not. So my question to you all, have we reached a point of time where the perception, and fate of a football program and its head coach are now more determined by the fans "boosters"?

I am of the opinion, fans and their voice now hold a degree of value to the higher ranking officials at most if not all universities, which has created an a false sort of expectation at some schools that are just not realistic and actually stunt the growth of the football programs, and do more harm than good for the school or program they want to be successful. Social media in large part has also created this environment, where if a program struggles or fails to win a meaningful game the sky is going to fall, and rapid overreaction after the fact is immediately there for all the discuss. Has this all just become to much and added another layer for a coach to have to deal with on top of the 100 other more important things factored into running a successful program?

Reactions: Gorki24 and NOLADan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News