ADVERTISEMENT

The documentary mini series “Grant” on The History Channel

Mudge1026

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/mar/29/is-grant-or-lee-greatest-general/

Has anyone been watching the miniseries on US Grant?

General Grant is probably my most favorite, historical figure in American history. He is somewhat unknown if that’s even possible in that he has never been given proper credit for his role in the Civil War until recently. And that’s because he always seems to be overshadowed by Robert E Lee as presented by historians. Well, that’s because for the first 100 years after the war most of the books written were by Southern historians. It hasn’t been until the past 50 that a more accurate assessment has come about.

He and, of course, President Lincoln were the two pivotal figures in the war. And it’s doubtful the Union army could have prevailed without Grant. He won battles on 3 major fronts something Lee never accomplished. And his Vicksburg campaign is studied by cadets at West Point til this very day. Simply put, the man was brilliant.

Grant originated the term, “Unconditional Surrender”, a concept the Allies employed against the Nazis and Imperial Japan. He waged “total war” going as far as making the Southern civilians so uncomfortable (the burning of Atlanta) that they lost their will to fight. The endless bombings of Japan in WW2 seemed to follow the same pattern. Again, General Grant was brilliant. He may be possibly the greatest general in US History.

On top of that he was a high character “soldier” and even more importantly, a high character “human being” who cared deeply for his family. The stories of Grant being a drunkard are overrated. When he was sent to the Oregon territory after West Point there was nothing to do there, and he missed his wife terribly so he drank. Too many drunk nights forced him to resign his commission so he went back to civilian life. It is well known that Grant was a poor businessman who went meandering from job to job doing anything to take care of his family. No job was too low for him to do if it meant taking care of them. This speaks to his character.

And while he had problems feeding his family, he gave the one slave he possessed (given to his wife by his father n law) his freedom when, no doubt, he could have reaped the rewards of a sale. Again, a high character human being.

When most of the politicians and officer corp of the Country came from the Elites, General Grant came from a more humble background. I would consider him to be the first truly “Blue Collar” general. I like him better than Patton or McCarthur because those two were elitists coming from elitist families.

I encourage you guys to read the article I linked. Its a short read and gives one perspective, and of course please watch the mini series tonight at 9 pm. Its highly entertaining and the fighting is vicious, it is so life like that it’s eerie. Leonardo DeCaprio directed it and did a very good job.

Guys, let me know what you think.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News