ADVERTISEMENT

The consequences of Kirk Herbstreit's bias

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Should Ohio State and Penn State win tomorrow and the selection committee does what he advocates (i.e., NOT take the B1G champion whether it be Wisky or PSU) then it establishes a dangerous precedent and that is, conference championship games mean nothing. For what's the point in exposing the players to unnecessary injury if the game doesn't matter?! To Mr. Herbstreit I say, it doesn't matter who's better on paper. It's why we play the game. At least Joey Galloway shows a modicum of common sense. Moreover, it's okay for USC to have early season losses in this 'beauty contest' but not Penn State. He and other talking heads need to address this point but alas, it will never get to them. Thank God their opinions are less relevant now. Thanks for playing.

Should Ohio State and Penn State win tomorrow and the selection committee does what he advocates (i.e., NOT take the B1G champion whether it be Wisky or PSU) then it establishes a dangerous precedent and that is, conference championship games mean nothing. For what's the point in exposing the players to unnecessary injury if the game doesn't matter?! To Mr. Herbstreit I say, it doesn't matter who's better on paper. It's why we play the game. At least Joey Galloway shows a modicum of common sense. Moreover, it's okay for USC to have early season losses in this 'beauty contest' but not Penn State. He and other talking heads need to address this point but alas, it will never get to them. Thank God their opinions are less relevant now. Thanks for playing.
Do you really think Barry Alvarez cares in the least about what Homer Herbie thinks?

21Eiqck.png

not many are giving us consideration of the situation in our losses - or even what this team has had to endure due to not having adequate depth. our defense had no LBs with experience playing vs UMich. in the loss to sPitt Cabinda was missing - which had a dramatic impact on the game.

I think some on the committee are looking at our OL situation and also making some deductions.

At full strength and with Trace actually running off the RPO, we would beat Pitt and give UMich a much different game.

It would be a lot easier if the commmitee would just read this board.

They jumped Ohio State over both Baylor and TCU two years ago, and Herbstreit campaigned for it for 6 straight weeks. Repeatedly. It might have made a difference, might not have made a difference, but he shilled for it the same way he is shilling for Ohio State again, two years later. For the record, he shilled for them last year also.

I don't buy into the committee being swayed by it, but it violates the principal of unbiased commentary on the highest pulpit of media. Yet Herbstreit is untouchable.

This committee has actually been rather fair. They don't give a shit what the talking heads say, as of yet. If they did, USC would be #2 in last week's poll.

Watch that shit go right out the window after Oklahoma runs up the score on Oklahoma State.

They jumped Ohio State over both Baylor and TCU two years ago, and Herbstreit campaigned for it for 6 straight weeks. Repeatedly. It might have made a difference, might not have made a difference, but he shilled for it the same way he is shilling for Ohio State again, two years later. For the record, he shilled for them last year also.

I don't buy into the committee being swayed by it, but it violates the principal of unbiased commentary on the highest pulpit of media. Yet Herbstreit is untouchable.
When did sports ever have unbiased commentary? As long as they're going to use former athletes, those athletes are going to have biases toward the teams they played for.

When did sports ever have unbiased commentary? As long as they're going to use former athletes, those athletes are going to have biases toward the teams they played for.

Bullshit and you know it: Herbstriets' CALLING CARD is his "unbiased" viewpoints on the game. Whether you think so or not, that is his image, in the national media.

Bullshit and you know it: Herbstriets' CALLING CARD is his "unbiased" viewpoints on the game. Whether you think so or not, that is his image, in the national media.
And I don't think he's as biased as you make him out to be. It would be different if he was the only one who thought the way he does, but many people have the same opinion. He's been way fairer to Penn State than most other announcers. He doesn't hate Penn State like Mark May and Mushmouth do, but he does think other teams are better. That's his opinion and he's entitled to it. I would much rather listen to him do a game than pretty much any other announcer.

And I don't think he's as biased as you make him out to be. It would be different if he was the only one who thought the way he does, but many people have the same opinion. He's been way fairer to Penn State than most other announcers. He doesn't hate Penn State like Mark May and Mushmouth do, but he does think other teams are better. That's his opinion and he's entitled to it. I would much rather listen to him do a game than pretty much any other announcer.

He's about shilling for Ohio State, he doesn't "hate" anyone, he's a shill.

He's about shilling for Ohio State, he doesn't "hate" anyone, he's a shill.
Would you have this big of a problem if he hadn't played for Ohio State? So he's not supposed to think Ohio State is one of the four best teams because he went to school there? I know a lot of people who didn't go to school there that think the same way.

Part of me wants to see Michigan win just to totally eliminate the Buckeyes from any playoff consideration.

Do you really think Barry Alvarez cares in the least about what Homer Herbie thinks?

I think Alvarez (and the rest of the committee) do get influenced by any constant drum beat that ESPN/ ABC talking heads spew on tv and radio.

I don't think they say "Well, Herbie said...." but when you get into grey areas like which 2 loss team deserves/ does not deserve to go or is Ohio St so much better that they should jump the big ten champion (even if they lost the head to head to that big ten champion)......then I think the week long ESPN drum beat does have an affect.

Reactions: royboy
Ohio State is in providing they win. No way, #2 after beating #3 in the last game falls out of Top 4. Looking at it objectively, not sure you can say how it would be fair. You first have to challenge why they are #2 currently before you start arguing any further. But they are 2 and won't fall further if they beat Michigan.

So, I don't even waste the time. If OSU wins, they are in. The issue us how PSU gets in as 4. Bama, Clemson, and OSU are in if OSU wins, Bama loses at most 1 game, and Clemson wins out. It's all about the 4 spot, nothing more nothing less. Right now, hard to see PSU jumping Washington.

Reactions: bjf1991
Kirky Herbstreit's opinion will carry as much weight as the opinion of his fellow ESPN Mimbo, Jesse Palmer

Condoleezza Rice is as likely to take World Diplomacy pointers from Erin Andrews as the committee is to be influenced by the Herbstreit/Palmer Bros

There are many who go to bat for him on this board.

I can hear the selection committee deliberating now as one of the members chimes in "Well based on what Kirk Herbstreit says, we should...."

Actually they don't do that. They invite Kirk to dinner and turn over the decision to him. 100% Herbstreit's call. And then they pick up the dinner tab and send it to PSU BOT for reimbursement.

Actually they don't do that. They invite Kirk to dinner and turn over the decision to him. 100% Herbstreit's call. And then they pick up the dinner tab and send it to PSU BOT for reimbursement.
Where it's intercepted by Barry, who is screaming and yelling at four old ladies about god knows what and nobody cares what, about somebody's sister or uncle's fourth cousins business practices related to somebody who might have been in the BoT 23 years ago.

Kirk is a punk. He says just enough to keep fan bases happy with him and national media in his corner, but sometimes, a lot during this time of year, his true colors show. Still thinks PSU win was a fluke.

Reactions: bplionfan
Ohio State is in providing they win. No way, #2 after beating #3 in the last game falls out of Top 4. Looking at it objectively, not sure you can say how it would be fair. You first have to challenge why they are #2 currently before you start arguing any further. But they are 2 and won't fall further if they beat Michigan.

So, I don't even waste the time. If OSU wins, they are in. The issue us how PSU gets in as 4. Bama, Clemson, and OSU are in if OSU wins, Bama loses at most 1 game, and Clemson wins out. It's all about the 4 spot, nothing more nothing less. Right now, hard to see PSU jumping Washington.
So, if things align, the B1G Champion would not get in, but a team that didn't win it's division, the division won by said B1G Champion, gets in. If all of that were to take place, justify playing the season.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
So, if things align, the B1G Champion would not get in, but a team that didn't win it's division, the division won by said B1G Champion, gets in. If all of that were to take place, justify playing the season.

IF we beat both mich st AND Wisconsin, we still won't get in. It's absurd, but that's how it's set up. We should be three time national champs (at minimum) but random media virgins decided otherwise. Pitt just claims national titles when they aren't selected. Maybe we should just claim to be 25x national champs also.

IF we beat both mich st AND Wisconsin, we still won't get in. It's absurd, but that's how it's set up. We should be three time national champs (at minimum) but random media virgins decided otherwise. Pitt just claims national titles when they aren't selected. Maybe we should just claim to be 25x national champs also.
Don't laugh. There is a movement among historians right now to officially recognize Penn State as national champions in 1911 and 1912.

Don't laugh. There is a movement among historians right now to officially recognize Penn State as national champions in 1911 and 1912.
I'm still waiting for the Pottsville Maroons to get back the NFL title stolen from them in 1925.

I am not disagreeing with you but the real question should then be how and why are they currently rated 2? They are what they are rated and if/when they beat UM, there is zero chance they fall from 2 to say 5. My take-

1- install a rule that you only get admittance to playoff if you are conference champion.

2- in conjunction with 1, make first and only announcement of playoff teams after consideration and determination of best 4 conference champs.

3- in conjunction with 1-2, what determination is then made for our favorite independent team? Don't think for a second that excluding them from consideration until they become aligned with a conference would ever be acceptable based on either their on field results or the ratings they bring. So, if you imposed conf cham requirement, either ND sits on the outside or is forced to join a conference

4- based on 3 alone, either expand to 8 teams to allow for some "at large bids" which likely won't happen or simply do what is now done which is to simply select the 4 teams you determine are the best 4 teams in CFB and provide the best 3 games from a TV, ratings, or competitive perspective.

The argument has to begin and end at OSU being rated 2. Once they are 2, no way they fall after beating 3.

Reactions: EPC FAN

I think you're making an assumption about OSU. If we assume PSU, Wisc, and OSU Win tomorrow, they will be ranked 2, 5, and 6. The folling week, 5 of the top 6 teams will be playing in a conference championship. Ohio State will be watching on TV. The final poll is the only one that will factor in conference champions. If the 6th ranked team beats the 5th ranked team to win a conf champ, they could easyliy justify dropping OSU out and just include the 4 conf champs. Alabama, Clemson, Washington and Penn State.

I think you're making an assumption about OSU. If we assume PSU, Wisc, and OSU Win tomorrow, they will be ranked 2, 5, and 6. The folling week, 5 of the top 6 teams will be playing in a conference championship. Ohio State will be watching on TV. The final poll is the only one that will factor in conference champions. If the 6th ranked team beats the 5th ranked team to win a conf champ, they could easyliy justify dropping OSU out and just include the 4 conf champs. Alabama, Clemson, Washington and Penn State.

Hey, I would love for that to be the case, but it would NEVER happen. 2 beats 3 and then they fall from 2 to 5 the following week without playing. Aint happening but you get my vote.

Why would a 2 loss PSU get in over a 1 loss OSU? Conference title or loss, they had a better record than us.

Assuming they win, they'll have beaten Oklahoma, Michigan and Wisconsin. We'll have beaten Ohio State, Iowa and Wisconsin. So their best 3 wins are better than ours, and they have 1 loss less than us.

Now, if you argue, "why even play the conference title game then," that argument can easily be turned around on you. Ok, well of you put 2 loss PSU in over 1 loss OSU, then why even play any OOC games? We lost to Pitt, while OSU beat Oklahoma. You're now arguing that's irrelevant based on what happened in conference play. So what's the point in anyone even playing an OOC schedule then? What if PSU lost 3 OOC games, but won the Big Ten. Do they still deserve to get in the playoff over OSU? Obviously not, or at least if hope you'd agree.

If both teams have 2 losses, it's a no brainier, PSU should get in over OSU, but if we end the season with 2 losses, one of which is to an unranked team and the other a blowout, and OSU ends with only a single loss to a top 6 team, then I don't even get the argument for us over them.

Still think Herbie is OK I understand his argument, but don't agree with it. Who wins the game is always the most important thing. I have to say the look on his face after we beat OSU was priceless though. Just win baby.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT