ADVERTISEMENT

The case for Rahne....

VaNtyLion

Jul 11, 2001
A lot of big names being thrown around for this opening but there are a lot of reasons why I think if it came to Rahne getting the nod I'd be confident.

1 - He's been around Franklin for a long time and knows what he wants to do and his vision for the offense. Franklin has commented more than once that Rahne will be an OC someday.

2 - He was probably the closest to Moorhead in terms of in-game process and being JoMo's eyes in the press box as passing game coordinator. He's had two years to absorb the system and learn from Moorhead.

3 - Maybe most underrated factor here - Rahne was the primary recruiter of Trace (going back to his Vandy verbal), Tommy (when he was an Indiana verbal) and Clifford. He knows the QB mold needed to run this system, which is probably the single most important factor to making it click.

Is it a 5-star type of promotion/hire? No, but I think it would be a very safe and stable pick with little downside.

The case for Rahne for me is that if Franklin wants him, then he is the best choice.

I know people rolled their eyes when I brought up his ivy league education but that worked out well with our last two Ivy coaches.

I also think he was being groomed for this and really studied with Moorhead. I don't understand why some people are so against it.

The case for Rahne for me is that if Franklin wants him, then he is the best choice.

I know people rolled their eyes when I brought up his ivy league education but that worked out well with our last two Ivy coaches.

I also think he was being groomed for this and really studied with Moorhead. I don't understand why some people are so against it.

My thoughts exactly. Keeping this system in place is the primary objective. Continuity for the players and knowing they're not going to be installing a new system is basically making this JoMo Year 3.

Exactly

In CJF we trust

All other "reasoning" is B.S.

My thoughts exactly. Keeping this system in place is the primary objective. Continuity for the players and knowing they're not going to be installing a new system is basically making this JoMo Year 3.

No, the primary objective is getting a coach who knows his stuff and is his own man. You stand still in this business you are toast

Reactions: m48tank
No, the primary objective is getting a coach who knows his stuff and is his own man. You stand still in this business you are toast

That is fair enough, and I don't think we are saying Rahne isn't his own man. But he is young and you have to learn the trade somewhere.
Most people who are great at what they do had a mentor along the way who helped them along.

Now, if you don't think Rahne is ready yet, I can understand that argument. But if Franklin does, how can you argue with him on that?

Is it fair to say you don't think Rahne is the man? If not, then who do you think is?

That is fair enough, and I don't think we are saying Rahne isn't his own man. But he is young and you have to learn the trade somewhere.
Most people who are great at what they do had a mentor along the way who helped them along.

Now, if you don't think Rahne is ready yet, I can understand that argument. But if Franklin does, how can you argue with him on that?

Is it fair to say you don't think Rahne is the man? If not, then who do you think is?

No, I don't think that Rahne is the man. But if Franklin chooses him, what...argue? No I'll wait to see how it plays out.

I kind of agree. I don't think you want to reinvent the wheel on offense again. The kids have been in this system for 2 years. But if there is some stud coordinator out there that can recruit and wants to come, what the heck.

A lot of big names being thrown around for this opening but there are a lot of reasons why I think if it came to Rahne getting the nod I'd be confident.

1 - He's been around Franklin for a long time and knows what he wants to do and his vision for the offense. Franklin has commented more than once that Rahne will be an OC someday.

2 - He was probably the closest to Moorhead in terms of in-game process and being JoMo's eyes in the press box as passing game coordinator. He's had two years to absorb the system and learn from Moorhead.

3 - Maybe most underrated factor here - Rahne was the primary recruiter of Trace (going back to his Vandy verbal), Tommy (when he was an Indiana verbal) and Clifford. He knows the QB mold needed to run this system, which is probably the single most important factor to making it click.

Is it a 5-star type of promotion/hire? No, but I think it would be a very safe and stable pick with little downside.

Sounds like the same reasons Jay and Donovan were hired. If that is all you got then NOOOOO thanks. IF you want Rahne then you better bring more to the table than that.

If we used those same reasons then Moorehead never would have been hired.

I tend to think Rhane was the OC in waiting ever since JoMo was hired.
I will miss JoMo, but I will not miss his run package.

It's rather simple for me. I believe Franklin has his list. He will interview multiple guys, likely to include Rahne & Gattis, and make his pick based on HIS criteria and his reading of who the best guy is, regardless of what OUR criteria is. And that is good enough for me.

Reactions: 46DavePSU
Mhh. I don't think you should look at this as a light switch. Rahne isn't "on" or "off". He is a candidate with a finite list of positive and negative attributes. Franklin needs to sit down, digest those, see what else is available, and make a decision oh whom he wants. This is what happened when he fired Donovan.

Reactions: politics blah
No, I don't think that Rahne is the man. But if Franklin chooses him, what...argue? No I'll wait to see how it plays out.

Art, Art. Have you learned nothing since Sunday? If Franklin names Rahne the next offensive coordinator, immediately take to social media to EXPRESS. YOUR. EXTREME. OUTRAGE. :eek: . If we all do that, I'm sure Sandy will take swift and appropriate action.

:eek:

Not a big Rahne fan and never was. IMO he's just been an average QB coach and PSU is not a program to be used as a training ground for offensive coordinators. There are coaches who post here who have also echoed these sentiments. PSU needs someone who is an experienced coordinator with a history of achievement. And quite frankly, a coach with a first name of Ricky just doesn't breed confidence in me.

Art, Art. Have you learned nothing since Sunday? If Franklin names Rahne the next offensive coordinator, immediately take to social media to EXPRESS. YOUR. EXTREME. OUTRAGE. :eek: . If we all do that, I'm sure Sandy will take swift and appropriate action.

:eek:

What, Rahne knew, too?:confused:

Maybe he is ready now. He, obviously, was not when Donovan was fired.

I know that getting Moorhead was a somewhat unusual step for Coach Franklin. I think he'd prefer to promote within given his loyalties.

I'm actually of the school of thought that changing coordinators every so often is not a bad thing. Two years in the case of Moorhead might be a little soon, but new coordinators can help to fight tendencies.

Not a big Rahne fan and never was. IMO he's just been an average QB coach and PSU is not a program to be used as a training ground for offensive coordinators. There are coaches who post here who have also echoed these sentiments. PSU needs someone who is an experienced coordinator with a history of achievement. And quite frankly, a coach with a first name of Ricky just doesn't breed confidence in me.
Having a policy as a head coach, or an expectation as a fan base, that you do not promote talented coaches from within the program will not get you a lot of young coaches standing in line. Sure, an existing OC from another program would have some advantages over an internal guy who hasn't yet done the job, but every OC had to have their first OC job. Look at Jim Leonhard, the Wisky DC... he was very young but was given a shot at Wisconsin and is doing a fantastic job. Not everyone deserves a shot, but you seem to categorically want to disqualify any internal promotions.

Be careful what you wish for and keep in mind that things only changed after some coaches outside the inner circle were brought in. I don’t feel where the program is currently at that this is a job for a first timer.

Rahne would not be my first choice, but like most, I'll trust Franklin to select whoever he thinks will be the best man for the job.

In the meantime, if it is Rahne, I'd encourage Franklin to replace him as tight ends coach with former Nittany Lion TE, the legendary Hingle McCringleberry!

Having a policy as a head coach, or an expectation as a fan base, that you do not promote talented coaches from within the program will not get you a lot of young coaches standing in line. Sure, an existing OC from another program would have some advantages over an internal guy who hasn't yet done the job, but every OC had to have their first OC job. Look at Jim Leonhard, the Wisky DC... he was very young but was given a shot at Wisconsin and is doing a fantastic job. Not everyone deserves a shot, but you seem to categorically want to disqualify any internal promotions.

All I can say is that if Franklin though he had someone on the staff who he thought could do the job, he never would have brought Moorhead in from the outside two years ago. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I think Franklin will again go to the outside and wouldn't be surprised if he reaches out to people like Jaworski and Gruden for advice and recommendations

Again, Franklin has a $4.5M/yr personal vested interest for not using PSU as a training ground for coordinators. With that said, he'll probably promote someone from within and make me look bad. :>)

All I can say is that if Franklin though he had someone on the staff who he thought could do the job, he never would have brought Moorhead in from the outside two years ago. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I think Franklin will again go to the outside and wouldn't be surprised if he reaches out to people like Jaworski and Gruden for advice and recommendations

Again, Franklin has a $4.5M/yr personal vested interest for not using PSU as a training ground for coordinators. With that said, he'll probably promote someone from within and make me look bad. :>)
Agree. This hiring/appointment is important for both PSU Football Inc and CJF. If Franklin had made a mistake 2 years ago, PSU might very well be looking for a new Head Coach today.

One thing to consider. Penn State is now a top 10 program. JoMo put up a lot of points with an exciting scheme. There is pressure to perform with talent and expectations. If he is promoting from within, that person better be ready.

Two years ago penn state's offense was a mess, and the OC was let go. In that situation it was imperative that someone from outside the program be brought in to fix things. Now the offense and the program are in a pretty good place, so promoting from within makes more sense.

I bet rahne puts in a short yardage smash mouth package.... which is the sole reason for the 2 losses. That and losing out on Christian Wilkins and the other DTs. (in ability to get pass rush). But yeah you gain a few first downs and we are in the playoff picture and saquon is gets the trophy he doesn’t care all the much about.

The offense isn’t broke, so he doesn’t need someone to come in and fix it, like when Moorhead replaced Donovan. I’m not saying he will promote Rahne, Limegrover, Gattis, or Huff, but I doubt that Franklin would be upset with continuing with the same offensive scheme.

Two years ago penn state's offense was a mess, and the OC was let go. In that situation it was imperative that someone from outside the program be brought in to fix things. Now the offense and the program are in a pretty good place, so promoting from within makes more sense.

Makes sense considering an internal candidate already knows the players and schemes. There is something to be said for familiarity and consistency in which case Rahne and Limegrover would be logical internal candidates. However, OL play and TE blocking were average at best under these guys. Consequently, do either of them warrant a promotion to a coordinator position? Franklin will eventually let us know but I hope he doesn't let loyalty and friendship dictate the decision. The last time someone did that we ended up with an offense coined "spread HD" that went nowhere fast.

I think there is a 50% chance or better that it’s an outside hire... but I don’t think that there is a direct correlation between performance of a position group and ability to run an offense. Surely, having a high performing O line or TE group would be a feather in their cap, but you have to also look at talent and scheme.

This is actually quite simple. Franklin has coached with Rahne for 7 years. Chef does not have to now sit around agaonizing over whether he can be the OC and play caller. Would a one day interview override 7 years?
IMO if there are interviews RRs will be strictly as a courtesy. If CJF feels he is the man for the job he will be named very soon.

I want Ricky Rahne. I like the fact that it would make the transition virtually zilch.

Bring on Ricky Rahne! But regardless, Franklin has proven he can pick winners.

Ehh. I'd personally use the current OSU model of established coordinators. Pry made sense because you had a proven coordinator opposite him. He was also mentioned several times as a "Head Coach" in waiting which in CJF speak is greater than "Offensive Coordinator" in waiting. I think we need to find this year's Kevin Wilson. Former head coach we can recycle back into an OC, Mark Helfrich comes to mind. Some flyers simply don't work out and tend to rise more frequently at less established programs.

I think he's leaning to an outside hire with the understanding that the current system in place fits the players in it, so someone who ran a similar system would be a home run.

Usually the internal heir apparent has the title of assistant ____________ coordinator. My guess is if Rahne does not get the promotion to OC he will be the assistant OC and be next in line when the job opens again.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT