ADVERTISEMENT

"The Big Ten will become the first college conference to eclipse $1 billion per year"

Chickadee34

Gold Member
May 2, 2018
Mahanoy, PA
"The Big Ten will become the first college conference to eclipse $1 billion per year when it negotiates its next media-rights deal later this year. That’s the opinion held by several well-placed sports business sources, who expect the conference to more than double the $440 million in annual rights fees that Fox and ESPN currently pay."

Reactions: NedFromYork
If I was leading the B1G negotiation, I would be prioritizing years. I have no doubt that the payday will be huge as legacy media does everything it can to remain relevant, but I think whoever "wins" is gonna be a lose in the end.

If I was leading the B1G negotiation, I would be prioritizing years. I have no doubt that the payday will be huge as legacy media does everything it can to remain relevant, but I think whoever "wins" is gonna be a lose in the end.
Who knows. The ACC had that philosophy and locked in with ESPN for many years anticipating media rights’ value to decrease and now look to be big losers as other conferences have surpassed their payouts.

The Big Ten specifically signed a shorter deal last cycle that allowed them to come up to market earlier and it looks like it will pay off handsomely. If sports broadcast revenue continues to climb, a shorter deal makes sense. And there’s a lot more buyers these days now that streamers are in the market in addition to legacy broadcasters

"The Big Ten will become the first college conference to eclipse $1 billion per year when it negotiates its next media-rights deal later this year. That’s the opinion held by several well-placed sports business sources, who expect the conference to more than double the $440 million in annual rights fees that Fox and ESPN currently pay."

Great. Amazon just raised their yearly prime membership partially dues to NFL rights, now Big Ten will be demanding higher rates from cable, dish, streaming.

Who knows. The ACC had that philosophy and locked in with ESPN for many years anticipating media rights’ value to decrease and now look to be big losers as other conferences have surpassed their payouts.

The Big Ten specifically signed a shorter deal last cycle that allowed them to come up to market earlier and it looks like it will pay off handsomely. If sports broadcast revenue continues to climb, a shorter deal makes sense. And there’s a lot more buyers these days now that streamers are in the market in addition to legacy broadcasters
Completely agree. My thesis is that interest in CFB and revenues will decline due to NIL, portal, opt outs, b/c this is amateurs acting like pros, and no one cares about the minor league pro team. Amateurism has appeal and CFB is losing amateurism.
Time will tell...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT