ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting The Best in PA, Stay in PA -- 2024 RB Quinton Martin commits to Penn State

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Last edited:
COMMITMENT STORY

MARTIN TALKS DECISION TO CHOOSE PSU
Excellent.

Reactions: NedFromYork
This is an awesome get. Everyone has wanted this young man for a couple of years now. If he remains a RB, he would be an awesome next in line around the timeframe when we are likely to be putting 2 top backs into the NFL draft.

Everyone has to be thrilled with this commitment. That being said, I hope the staff continues to go after another back for this class, just in case young Mr. Martin winds up at another position. He will be a player wherever he winds up.

Peyton Lewis, the blazer out of VA would be ideal. However, we no longer appear to be his dream school. They would be a serious thunder and lightning combination!

COMMITMENT STORY

MARTIN TALKS DECISION TO CHOOSE PSU
Awesome

Reactions: NedFromYork
Everyone has to be thrilled with this commitment. That being said, I hope the staff continues to go after another back for this class, just in case young Mr. Martin winds up at another position. He will be a player wherever he winds up.

Peyton Lewis, the blazer out of VA would be ideal. However, we no longer appear to be his dream school. They would be a serious thunder and lightning combination!
They would.

Not sure which is which as Lewis looks like a big thumper himself.

If someone like Quinton Martin wants to stay close to home there really isn't any other choice. The only big time football program within 200 miles of Belle Vernon is Penn State. Other than Penn State you play at a MAC level school.
tOSU is probably closer to Belle Vernon than PSU is........ less than 3 hours to Columbus. Pitt was after him since 8th grade, I get your point about them being a MAC school, but there was local interest and interest from the best of the best football programs.....a great get for PSU. He will bring in the LIneman, and QBs which will make it attractive for WRs..... Martin is shiftier than I would have thought for his size.

tOSU is probably closer to Belle Vernon than PSU is........ less than 3 hours to Columbus. Pitt was after him since 8th grade, I get your point about them being a MAC school, but there was local interest and interest from the best of the best football programs.....a great get for PSU. He will bring in the LIneman, and QBs which will make it attractive for WRs..... Martin is shiftier than I would have thought for his size.
WVU is very close as well. Yeah, not Bama or PSU level but a solid program most years with good fan support

Reactions: bison13

Ummmm....., that's nonsense. Belle Vernon is only 140 miles from State. Columbus, OH is not closer to Belle Vernon than State College, PA.... whoever told you it was, doesn't know what they're talking about.

Ummmm....., that's nonsense. Belle Vernon is only 140 miles from State. Columbus, OH is not closer to Belle Vernon than State College, PA.... whoever told you it was, doesn't know what they're talking about.
well according to google maps you can be at tOSU in 2 hours and 38 minutes.......so not very far. an earlier post said that PSU was the only major program if Martin wanted to stay close to home. To me it sounded lilke the poster was under selling the importance of this win for PSU. This is the kind of athlete who could play RB, TE, LB and maybe DE at the next level.......

well according to google maps you can be at tOSU in 2 hours and 38 minutes.......so not very far. an earlier post said that PSU was the only major program if Martin wanted to stay close to home. To me it sounded like the poster was under selling the importance of this win for PSU. This is the kind of athlete who could play RB, TE, LB and maybe DE at the next level.......

Take the other post for misinformed or misinforming for whatever reason. Martin is a great get for any program coast to coast. Who cares what knuckleheads post here?

This is a crazy argument. Martin’s probably getting enough NIL money to rent a plane or helicopter to get him most places he’d want to go in well less than an hour. 😹

Reactions: tlbakernc
well according to google maps you can be at tOSU in 2 hours and 38 minutes.......so not very far. an earlier post said that PSU was the only major program if Martin wanted to stay close to home. To me it sounded lilke the poster was under selling the importance of this win for PSU. This is the kind of athlete who could play RB, TE, LB and maybe DE at the next level.......
Reports place him anywhere between 185 and 200 lbs.

From 6' to 6'3" (which it seems he is not)

Sure he could use his athleticism to play beyond his size, but TE or DE don't seem realistic unless he grows a good bit in his bone structure.

Some have said he could be a great WR. But RB, Safety or LB seem like the places he fits in best short of some big growth spurt.

I haven't watched enough of his tape to have an opinion. But with some services rating him the #2 RB in the country, possibly a 5 star player at RB, it's hard to see how he ends up somewhere else but RB. If he can play at an All American level as a Safety or LB, I still don't see how he doesn't play RB if he can play RB at an All B10 level.

Fun to speculate, but I just hope he stays healthy, enrolls next January, and takes the field from the first game of 2024 at where ever Franklin and his staff believe he can help PSU win games......

The comparison to Jabrill Peppers at UM are interesting. But was Peppers as good of a RB as Martin?

Actually, according to Google, Belle Vernon is 180 miles from Columbus and 143 miles from State College. I agree that Martin will be a real asset to Penn State.

Actually, according to Google, Belle Vernon is 180 miles from Columbus and 143 miles from State College. I agree that Martin will be a real asset to Penn State.

Well, to put it into context... Belle Vernon is essentially equidistant from Harrisburg and Columbus.

The FBS School closest to Belle Vernon hasn't even been mentioned. Morgantown, WV is less than 50 Miles from Belle Vernon.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Well, to put it into context... Belle Vernon is essentially equidistant from Harrisburg and Columbus.

The FBS School closest to Belle Vernon hasn't even been mentioned. Morgantown, WV is less than 50 Miles from Belle Vernon.
Proximity to WVU appeared to be a factor in PSU losing out on one of it's priority recruits for 2023, Rodney Gallagher a WR/DB from Laurel Highlands HS in Uniontown, PA. He was within 30 miles of WVU campus.

Not sure I'd call the very south-western part of PA as strong Nittany Lion country, but I'm sure we've had some players over the years.

Proximity to WVU appeared to be a factor in PSU losing out on one of it's priority recruits for 2023, Rodney Gallagher a WR/DB from Laurel Highlands HS in Uniontown, PA. He was within 30 miles of WVU campus.

Not sure I'd call the very south-western part of PA as strong Nittany Lion country, but I'm sure we've had some players over the years.

Gallagher could end up here next spring. I think he likes Brown. He was on the brink of being fired and anything less than a bowl he's likely gone.

Hagens is here now as well.

Thanks for the highlights. What versatility and football instincts, great use of cut backs on his runs. Smooth stride so it's hard to tell what his speed is exactly, but he doesn't get caught from behind on these plays.

Definitely want to use his pass catching skills to get him in the open field.

They would.

Not sure which is which as Lewis looks like a big thumper himself.
Lewis is very fast, comparable to Journey Brown's junior year fast. He has some size too. I am going on their listed size to make the comparison.

Roy, You are right, Not the WVU love, but absolutely Lots of PSU people in Greene, Washington & Fayettenam. Early 90’s Derek Bochna - Mapletown High school. About 16 miles from Morgantown, WV. Via Rt. 88 to US 119. The kicker, his high school coach George Messich has a Pitt 1976 National Championship ring.

I will sound football illiterate, but does the kid looks like a Y-Back - one of those elite athletes that has versatility to do multiple things on offense. Similar to Deebo Samuels? He lined up everywhere in his highlight reel.

I feel like Howle/Yurcich have somewhat gone in this direction with their TE room. A bunch of elite athletes that are capable of multiple positions and asks, blocking, catching, running, direct snaps in the WC.

I will sound football illiterate, but does the kid looks like a Y-Back - one of those elite athletes that has versatility to do multiple things on offense. Similar to Deebo Samuels? He lined up everywhere in his highlight reel.

I feel like Howle/Yurcich have somewhat gone in this direction with their TE room. A bunch of elite athletes that are capable of multiple positions and asks, blocking, catching, running, direct snaps in the WC.
Gotta give his High School coach for deploying him in so many different ways. Yeah, pretty obvious a talent like that is going to play offense, defense, and special teams for a 3-A school, but they've been pretty creative on offense.

Slow day on the board, other than the DB commit a few minutes ago.

So here's some entertainment as it contains a mostly head in sand discussion of Franklin's ownership of Duzzy when they actually go head to head for a WPIAL player. A couple of their posters try posting facts but get belittled and basically swore at:

One interesting post, almost rational:

I made this prediction back on Christmas Eve and just about everyone agreed... There is no "meltdown". This was expected:

Quinton Martin - Belle Vernon - 6-3, 205, running back

4 Star prospect. P5 Offers: Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, Florida State, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Texas, Boston College, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin

Note: Quinton has a team of advisors… No chance for Pitt

Anthony Speca - Central Catholic - 6-3, 220, inside linebacker

4 Star prospect. P5 Offers: Nebraska, LSU. Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Boston College, Cincinnati, Colorado, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, and Wisconsin.

Note: Has shown some interest in Pitt. Likely going elsewhere…For now…. Pitt will be fall back plan….

Cameron Lindsey – Aliquippa - 6-3, 203 - outside linebacker

4 Star prospect. P5 Offers: Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Maryland, and Syracuse.

Note: Pitt has a good chance

Ryan Cory - Pine-Richland - 6-4, 290, offensive line

3 Star prospect. P5 Offers: Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville and Oregon.

Note: Pitt has a good chance

Peter Gonzalez - Central Catholic - 6-3, 200, wide receiver

3 Star prospect. P5 Offers: Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Maryland, Miami (Fla.), Syracuse, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin.

Note: Pitt has a good chance. However, he is a legacy. Pitt has not done well in this department

Pitt has a good chance of landing 3 out of the 5 kids listed. Outside chance with Speca. Little chance with Martin...

The above poster got berated for being rational. But the fact is that:
Lindsey, although PSU is keeping in tough with him, is likely down the list of LB's PSU is going after for the 3rd LB in the 2024 class
Cory is not an OT which is the focus PSU's 2024 Oline class which is why PSU would not get despirate enough to offer him.
Gonzalez has been to PSU numerous times and probably would jump on a commitable offer, but PSU is going hard after more talented WR's. It will be interesting to see what happens with Gonzalez if he's still uncommited late in the cycle and PSU hasn't filled their WR class with their top targets.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Paris Ford rips Nardoooozi and his recruiting.

I can't read it. Could you please tell me what Paris Ford said. I'd LOVE to hear it.
Paris Ford rips Nardoooozi and his recruiting.

What does it say? I can't read it. I'd love to know what Ford said about Nardouche.

Basically Paris is saying that the Asst Coach is keeping Pitt at a level in spite of Doozie.

Paris feels like Doozie was not supportive of Paris when at Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT