ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman claims these three names are the leading candidates for UNL job (link)

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
Here's the LINK. O'Brien would be an awful choice - Nebraska has very little local talent and they're just aren't many kids around these days who are huge UNL fans.... they're glory days are too far long gone. O'Brien doesn't have the recruiting chops to bring UNL back from the death bed.

Here's the LINK. O'Brien would be an awful choice - Nebraska has very little local talent and they're just aren't many kids around these days who are huge UNL fans.... they're glory days are too far long gone. O'Brien doesn't have the recruiting chops to bring UNL back from the death bed.
Stadium capacity: 85,458

Even with the down years that the Huskers have endured recently, that hasn't stopped Nebraska fans from continuing to pack Memorial Stadium on Saturdays in the fall, and 2021 was no exception. The Huskers were one of only a select number of schools that averaged not jut a sellout but a standing-room audience that was beyond the stadium's official capacity.

Even with the down years that the Huskers have endured recently, that hasn't stopped Nebraska fans from continuing to pack Memorial Stadium on Saturdays in the fall, and 2021 was no exception. The Huskers were one of only a select number of schools that averaged not jut a sellout but a standing-room audience that was beyond the stadium's official capacity.

Full stadium is not going to make great recruits want to go there when they have seen them stink up the place for years and have no familiarity whatsoever with UNL being a factor on the national scene.

I can see going after an existing D1 head coach (especially one coaching in the lower midwest) - at least they are already interacting with triple digit top HS athletes. But they're nuts if they go with O'Brien given his lack of proven recruiting ability.

Reactions: diontechristmas
Bill is a great offensive coach. He doesn’t seem to like any of the other tasks associated with being a college head coach, especially at Nebraska. The recruiting, the boosters, dealing with being the face of a program. Especially so at Nebraska, a state with no pro teams and no other FBS football programs. The head coach at Nebraska is the most famous and talked about dude in the state. For those of us that “know” Bill, does that sound like something he’s interested in? The man just wants to coach football.

Full stadium is not going to make great recruits want to go there when they have seen them stink up the place for years and have no familiarity whatsoever with UNL being a factor on the national scene.
Agreed. I just disagree with the suggestion that Nebraska lacks a large fan base.

Reactions: 84Lion and Obliviax
Agreed. I just disagree with the suggestion that Nebraska lacks a large fan base.

Don't disagree with you at all on that point - UNL has a very dedicated and loyal fan base. Honestly, they should try to hire UM - he is incredible at rebuilding programs from scratch and given his national profile, he can recruit anywhere; kids just want to play for him.

Reactions: bdgan
Bill is a great offensive coach. He doesn’t seem to like any of the other tasks associated with being a college head coach, especially at Nebraska. The recruiting, the boosters, dealing with being the face of a program. Especially so at Nebraska, a state with no pro teams and no other FBS football programs. The head coach at Nebraska is the most famous and talked about dude in the state. For those of us that “know” Bill, does that sound like something he’s interested in? The man just wants to coach football.
Oh I don’t know, he also wanted to be GM with the Texans. O’Brien has a big ego; otherwise he wouldn’t be a success. I just think it will be hard to lure recruits there.

The only reason I can see Matt Campbell going is because of uncertainty over the Big 12's direction. Football-wise Nebraska isn't much of an upgrade. He kind of reminds me of Bo Pelini, maybe slightly less rough around the edges. He'd probably have a better relationship with the fanbase, but I would see similar levels of success. Has had a lot of buzz at ISU, but lost to Iowa every year they were highly ranked and supposed to win.

I see Billo either going back to the pros or going somewhere that almost recruits itself. That is not UNL today. I feel like it would be the return of Bill Callahan. That didn't work out too well.

Lance Leipold would be the best pick in my view. I see him as the kind who could return Nebraska to some semblance of what it was.

Reactions: diontechristmas
Unless they go big $$$ not sure that they get any of those guys......Kansas Coach might look at it as a stepping stone. He does run a very good offense.

Hard to win at Lincoln in this day and age........especially if you can't get top players from Texas and So. Cal like in the 70s.

Unless they go big $$$ not sure that they get any of those guys......Kansas Coach might look at it as a stepping stone. He does run a very good offense.

Hard to win at Lincoln in this day and age........especially if you can't get top players from Texas and So. Cal like in the 70s.

They need a proven, know quantity with the recruits - someone with a national profile - like Urban Meyer. But like you said, it would cost them a lot of scratch.

The only reason I can see Matt Campbell going is because of uncertainty over the Big 12's direction. Football-wise Nebraska isn't much of an upgrade. He kind of reminds me of Bo Pelini, maybe slightly less rough around the edges. He'd probably have a better relationship with the fanbase, but I would see similar levels of success. Has had a lot of buzz at ISU, but lost to Iowa every year they were highly ranked and supposed to win.

I see Billo either going back to the pros or going somewhere that almost recruits itself. That is not UNL today. I feel like it would be the return of Bill Callahan. That didn't work out too well.

Lance Leipold would be the best pick in my view. I see him as the kind who could return Nebraska to some semblance of what it was.
Coach speak is coach speak, but locally LL just said he didn’t move his family all the way to Lawrence to move again after two years. The pressure to win in Lawrence is far less than Nebraska and the boosters have far less influence on the football program.

Reactions: john4psu

Offense hasn’t been kNU’s problem this year, they can’t stop anyone.

Offense hasn’t been kNU’s problem this year, they can’t stop anyone.

Really not about Offense or Defense imo - it's 100% about the ability to recruit; they need someone who has the ability to rebuild this program from scratch. They need a high-profile hire or they're in deep doo-doo.

I was watching the B1G and the announcer took some interesting shots at Frost. He basically said that he had a source who was stating that Frost was phoning it in, took little interest, and was late for meetings. What? you are making several million and you are late to meetings?

If so, anyone is a lift from that.

I think Billo would be a great hire as he is certainly a "name". They've got tradition, money and facilities with a large fan base. It certainly isn't a tier one school like ND, tOSU or Alabama. But not far off. Hell, OK continues to do OK.

If you were a good coach, would you consider Auburn or Nebraska to be the better choice? One thing I noted was a not-so-full stadium at Auburn, which was pretty shocking to me. I'd actually go to Neb over Auburn given the level of competition (on the field and recruiting) in the SEC west.

I was watching the B1G and the announcer took some interesting shots at Frost. He basically said that he had a source who was stating that Frost was phoning it in, took little interest, and was late for meetings. What? you are making several million and you are late to meetings?

I think Billo would be a great hire as he is certainly a "name". They've got tradition, money and facilities with a large fan base. It certainly isn't a tier one school like ND, tOSU or Alabama. But not far off. Hell, OK continues to do OK.

If you were a good coach, would you consider Auburn or Nebraska to be the better choice? One thing I noted was a not-so-full stadium at Auburn, which was pretty shocking to me. I'd actually go to Neb over Auburn given the level of competition (on the field and recruiting) in the SEC west.

Auburn's stadium looked filled to me - not sure what you're referring to. Auburn has a great recruiting Profile in the Southeast - O'Brien might be a good hire there coming from Bama.

Just don't agree with you that they're are many recruits that view UNL as a great program.

Auburn's stadium looked filled to me - not sure what you're referring to. Auburn has a great recruiting Profile in the Southeast - O'Brien might be a good hire there coming from Bama.

Just don't agree with you that they're are many recruits that view UNL as a great program.
the entire top of the stadium was not full. I'd say that it was only ~ 90% full. quite a shock for a game billed as one of the most important of the year. I am 100% sure that is the case unless people dressed in the same colors as the seats for some reason. :)

the entire top of the stadium was not full. I'd say that it was only ~ 90% full. quite a shock for a game billed as one of the most important of the year. I am 100% sure that is the case unless people dressed in the same colors as the seats for some reason.

Just because you say it, doesn't make it so. This article on the topic - LINK - has a picture. The upper level is PSU fans dressed in white. In addition, this ESPN game summary says you're wrong - LINK (attendance is listed at bottom of summary). Summary lists attendance as 87,451 sellout capacity for Jordan-Hare.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Just because you say it, doesn't make it so. This article on the topic - LINK - has a picture. The upper level is PSU fans dressed in white. In addition, this ESPN game summary says you're wrong - LINK (attendance is listed at bottom of summary). Summary lists attendance as 87,451 sellout capacity for Jordan-Hare.
OK, Mr. Smarty Pants, I know what I saw. Plus, you first link isn't working. PSU also states that attendance is sold out too. If you've ever gone to a PSU game that isn't a white out, you know that's not true.

$10 says they won’t have to wait very long for Rhule. He would be ideal

There is no hurry at this point. Leipold is an after the season grab and would be a great one.

OBrien would satisfy little to nothing. He was a stepping stone for us. Rallied troops and kept us above water. Good for us. Good for him. Then showed what he really wanted.

If Albert turns out to be full blowhard during his PC after firing Frost and talking about highest character and culture, then he hires Meyer. No one should hire Meyer. If someone does, then just throw a dart into a calendar and an encyclopedia of diseases to guess when he has a scandal and a coincidentally career ending debilitation.

the entire top of the stadium was not full. I'd say that it was only ~ 90% full. quite a shock for a game billed as one of the most important of the year. I am 100% sure that is the case unless people dressed in the same colors as the seats for some reason. :)

Here is another article that says you're wrong - LINK .

This is excerpted directly from article:

The 22nd-ranked Nittany Lions rushed for 245 yards and five touchdowns and pounded Auburn 41-12 before a capacity crowd of 87,451 Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

• Haha
Here is another article that says you're wrong - LINK .

This is excerpted directly from article:
listen, I don't give a shit what you think or what they say. It was clear, in the aerial photos during the game, that there were tons of empty seats in the upper deck. I am not going to take the time to educate you because, in the end, I don't care what you think.

Thanks!

OK, Mr. Smarty Pants, I know what I saw. Plus, you first link isn't working. PSU also states that attendance is sold out too. If you've ever gone to a PSU game that isn't a white out, you know that's not true.

I linked pictures of the stadium and your claim that the top 10% of the stadium was empty is just plain bullshit - I watched the game too and didn't see anything that you're claiming. BTW, I've linked 3 separate articles that all say attendance was at capacity - as far as I can tell, you're the only person claiming the Stadium was only 90% full, but your statements are gospel, LMAO. What an arrogant dope.

• Haha
I linked pictures of the stadium and your claim that the top 10% of the stadium was empty is just plain bullshit - I watched the game too and didn't see anything that you're claiming. BTW, I've linked 3 separate articles that all say attendance was at capacity - as far as I can tell, you're the only person claiming the Stadium was only 90% full, but your statements are gospel, LMAO. What an arrogant dope.
your link didn't work. On ignore you go...life is too short for me to waste time with people like you.

listen, I don't give a shit what you think or what they say. It was clear, in the aerial photos during the game, that there were tons of empty seats in the upper deck. I am not going to take the time to educate you because, in the end, I don't care what you think.

Thanks!

No, it wasn't clear twit, I watched the same "aerial shots" and the seats weren't empty. PSU fans in white were in much of the upper portions of the stadium - just like the picture I already sent you shows and proves you're wrong. The seats are not empty.

Auburn job better than Nebraska job. More players to pull from: Alabama, Florida, LA, Texas, Tennessee, GA......... Auburn's roster should be loaded with 6-8 drafted NFL guys a year.....

Don't disagree with you at all on that point - UNL has a very dedicated and loyal fan base. Honestly, they should try to hire UM - he is incredible at rebuilding programs from scratch and given his national profile, he can recruit anywhere; kids just want to play for him.

I could see UM taking it too.

Really the only hurdle at Nebraska is Wisconsin.

Beat them and they are placing in the Big Ten championship.

He can almost certainly get enough talent there for that.

The Nebraska sell out streak is one of those ‘true, but….’ stories. It’s taken a life of its own over the years at Nebraska but there’s some cooking of the books to keep it going. From what I’ve read, local businesses or rich alumni would reportedly buy up the unsold seats each week just to keep the streak alive. They may donate them to groups or eat the cost. Last I heard they still have several games this year still not sold out.

The Nebraska sell out streak is one of those ‘true, but….’ stories. It’s taken a life of its own over the years at Nebraska but there’s some cooking of the books to keep it going. From what I’ve read, local businesses or rich alumni would reportedly buy up the unsold seats each week just to keep the streak alive. They may donate them to groups or eat the cost. Last I heard they still have several games this year still not sold out.
Maybe but on TV the stadium looks pretty full.

It looked full. Our side looked full as did the endzones. This photo was taken before kickoff.

HGoiHZE.jpg

It looked full. Our side looked full as did the endzones. This photo was taken before kickoff.

HGoiHZE.jpg

It was full, the arrogant a-hole is mistaking PSU fans dressed in all-white for empty seats at the very top of the upper-deck. No big deal but for him lecturing me on how wrong I am when I gave him multiple sources citing it was at capacity (and multiple pics). Knew it was full based on pictures they showed on TV - now we have your eyewitness account to add to the multitude of sources I've already provided.

• Love

O’Brien sure has fallen far since leaving Penn State

Never questioned BOB's coaching ability or acumen....but he's about as thin skinned as they come at a high level. He's a better profane version of Bo Pelini..... I just can't see him with much of a shelf life there.

Reactions: john4psu
O’Brien sure has fallen far since leaving Penn State
That is why he is with the master. When he completes his rehabilitation with Saban he will be ready for his reward, and it will be significant.

That is what is absolutely amazing about Saban, he does it all at a level never before seen. Not only does he develop players, he develops coaches as well.

IMO, Auburn is the better job recruiting wise, however, from what I have read, they need a facilities upgrade.

$10 says they won’t have to wait very long for Rhule. He would be ideal

There is no hurry at this point. Leipold is an after the season grab and would be a great one.

OBrien would satisfy little to nothing. He was a stepping stone for us. Rallied troops and kept us above water. Good for us. Good for him. Then showed what he really wanted.

If Albert turns out to be full blowhard during his PC after firing Frost and talking about highest character and culture, then he hires Meyer. No one should hire Meyer. If someone does, then just throw a dart into a calendar and an encyclopedia of diseases to guess when he has a scandal and a coincidentally career ending debilitation.
Meyer would not and will not go to Nebraska. He said as much when questioned about what it would take to revive the program. Very difficult place to recruit four and five stars in this day and age.

It was full, the arrogant a-hole is mistaking PSU fans dressed in all-white for empty seats at the very top of the upper-deck. No big deal but for him lecturing me on how wrong I am when I gave him multiple sources citing it was at capacity (and multiple pics). Knew it was full based on pictures they showed on TV - now we have your eyewitness account to add to the multitude of sources I've already provided.
Would it be full without the Penn State fans?

IMO, Auburn is the better job recruiting wise, however, from what I have read, they need a facilities upgrade.
In 2009, they lost their top outside funding when Bobby Lowder and Colonial bank got hammered in "the great recession". Lowder was in real estate development. He gave a lot of money to the Auburn program. He was also a trustee. So he'd give money to the sports programs, increase the Auburn brand, raise campus value, suggest new construction, then bid on that construction. he was making money coming and going. It was all run through Colonial Bank and kind of "laundered" there. As long as the football program stayed strong, values went up. When the recession hit, he got caught over extended.

BTW, if you've ever heard the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail (which is some great golf) had substantial ties to Lowder too. So, it ended up being a great value.

My bet is, now a decade later, the chickens are coming home to roost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT