ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving Jukebox: Songs with “Thanks” in them

Now you've gone and made me cry again......
The Holidays are such a mixed bag for me. I recall years ago reading about people and how challenging and depressing they are for many. I scoffed at this and watched them all race by. This until 24 years ago, when my mother died on Thanksgiving Day. She was the first loss that I thought I would never recover from. It took about a year and The Holidays were always difficult with my Dad who survived her for another 5 years. But eventually, you accept the cycle of life and parents are "supposed" to pass before their children.
But Nine years, one month and 11 days ago, my wife succumbed to cancer. We don't celebrate the holidays any more. Our boys come home and I put on a buffet that would feed an army for the Thanksgiving Weekend. At Christmas, which my Wife made so special for our boys, we travel to the Penn State Bowl and wrap our thoughts around that.
So today, when I think of my song it is Lionel Richie..."Thanks for the times you have given me...." " You're once, twice, three times a lady....and I love you."

Our family went to my mom's today for Thanksgiving dinner. She puts out a nice spread (mostly bought at Costco). She's 81 years young. While my wife and daughter went over to Penney's to shop a bit, my mom and I sat and talked awhile (son buried in his cellphone all the while but that was OK). It was nice. Your post made me very thankful that she's still with us. And I'm also very thankful that my wife and I have a wonderful relationship and that we're both reasonably healthy. Your post made all that just a bit more special and made me not take all of that so much for granted.
My best wishes to you and your family and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

Our family went to my mom's today for Thanksgiving dinner. She puts out a nice spread (mostly bought at Costco). She's 81 years young. While my wife and daughter went over to Penney's to shop a bit, my mom and I sat and talked awhile (son buried in his cellphone all the while but that was OK). It was nice. Your post made me very thankful that she's still with us. And I'm also very thankful that my wife and I have a wonderful relationship and that we're both reasonably healthy. Your post made all that just a bit more special and made me not take all of that so much for granted.
My best wishes to you and your family and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.
Thank you for taking the time to share with me. I'm so happy to hear that perhaps something I said made a difference today. While I suppose I knew that I'd probably outlive my parents (most of us do) I never imagined a world without my wife. I can tell you it really sucks. May you and your family be blessed this holiday season and in the new year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT