ADVERTISEMENT

Thank You Phil Grosz

THEEHMANN

Apr 20, 2003
I just read where Phil G. has sold Blue-White Illustrated. I have been with him since the very beginning with your Catch Lions Fever publication. He gave us die-hard fans great information on our beloved Nittany Lions throughout all these 40 years. His commitment, passion and love for our Lions will be missed. Thank you Phil on a great career and I wish you and your wife the best of health. Enjoy your well deserved retirement.

I just read where Phil G. has sold Blue-White Illustrated. I have been with him since the very beginning with your Catch Lions Fever publication. He gave us die-hard fans great information on our beloved Nittany Lions throughout all these 40 years. His commitment, passion and love for our Lions will be missed. Thank you Phil on a great career and I wish you and your wife the best of health. Enjoy your well deserved retirement.

The sheer number of guys who made (and continue to make) a living off his work/brand is remarkable. Includes the guys here plus Fitz at a minimum.

Makes me feel old. The end of an era. I remember in the early 90’s at the old Foster Ave Apartments my roommates and I would listen to him and Dean Devore I believe.

Reactions: therod and TheGLOV
We tailgated ext to Phil at a PSU event before a Philadelphia Stars game featuring Chuck Fusina and Scott Fitzkee. That's the first time I'd heard of him. Like Joe J. Vs the Eagles....

Well Said.
giphy.gif

When did BWI originate? Was the transition from Plotit the cut off date? If so that was a long time ago.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Where did you read that? Thx.

Reactions: brupsu and TheGLOV
Yeah how about that

I was a Catch Lions Fever subscriber and then moved on to BWI through late 90s. My recollection of the eternal optimist Phil is the every preseason prediction over that era was 11-1 at worst.
Very good! We should broaden this thread in honor of Phil with our favorite “Philisms”.
I like when Phil described a recruit, he was a “carbon copy” of this player. Or when Tom Lemming would write some low piece in recruiting. Man, you could tell Phil got pissed. Good stuff Phil! We’’ll miss your insight and articles, especially downtime between schoolwork.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Very good! We should broaden this thread in honor of Phil with our favorite “Philisms”.
I like when Phil described a recruit, he was a “carbon copy” of this player. Good stuff!

When talking about a recruit Phil would get deep into the woods on the player’s coach, town, etc. Was more genuine than the ‘recruiting bros’ we have now and you could tell he spent a lot of time building those relationships. He also called Al Golden to PSU and that will never be lived down. Huge swing and miss.

When talking about a recruit Phil would get deep into the woods on the player’s coach, town, etc. Was more genuine than the ‘recruiting bros’ we have now and you could tell he spent a lot of time building those relationships. He also called Al Golden to PSU and that will never be lived down. Huge swing and miss.
Actually that call was more like a line drive down the left field line that passes a hair's breadth to the left of the foul pole before exiting the stadium. PSU and Golden had a deal. Uncle Fester couldn't get it closed before the powers that be at Miami brought pressure to bear so that Golden had to back out. Sometimes you just get lucky, I guess.

Actually that call was more like a line drive down the left field line that passes a hair's breadth to the left of the foul pole before exiting the stadium. PSU and Golden had a deal. Uncle Fester couldn't get it closed before the powers that be at Miami brought pressure to bear so that Golden had to back out. Sometimes you just get lucky, I guess.
Holy crap I never heard the entire store.
We dodged a bullet on that one.

I like when Phil described a recruit, he was a “carbon copy” of this player. Or when Tom Lemming would write some low piece in recruiting. Man, you could tell Phil got pissed. Good stuff Phil! We’’ll miss your insight and articles, especially downtime between schoolwork.
It sounds like he will still be on this site and is still going to have his weekly chat. He also said he was going to write special articles from time to time. I am not sure if those will be in BWI magazine or on this site.

Holy crap I never heard the entire store.
We dodged a bullet on that one.
Phil knew what happened and didn't disclose it for his own reasons. I really hate seeing him catch shit for being honorable. I can't substantiate it, but I'm reasonably sure I'm not the only person who heard the story.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV and 91Joe95
I wish good health and happiness for Phil and his wife. I attended lots of Phil Grosz nights in the Lehigh Valley. He was as passionate as anyone could have been about the Lions.

I knew it was very close to happening but him blurting it out (think the thread title was in all caps too) before it was final final was what I was mostly referring to. Lucky indeed.

Freshman year at PSU (1987) living in Geary every Monday (may have been Tuesday) walked to the commons store to buy BWI each week. Great memories.

Once Phil spoke at the Crystal city sports pub (just outside D.C.) and my buddy and I dropped him off at his hotel afterwards.

phil is def a good guy and loved his passion and optimism. Glad to hear he will still have a role from time to time.

An excellent time to pull the plug. Thank you Phil!

I am another original subscriber to Catch Lions Fever - one of the first 500. I used to read that mag and the first few years of printed Blue White Illustrated cover to cover then count the days to the next issue. I still subscribe to the printed version all these decades later. When we were going through the "dark years" and most people were writing us off, Phil was the one guy that consistently gave us an optimistic hope, and of course his predictions that Joe would turn things around came true. I can't say I read every article anymore - just don't have the time - but i always read Phil's articles. Keep writing Phil!

Phil missed a golden opportunity to sell some great pics as posters - the Terri Zemaitis two-page centerfold stands out as a favorite. Cannot find a pic of that anywhere…

Reactions: bison13
A true pioneer, or trailblazer in the world of major college football recruiting coverage in every sense. Clearly he’s the reason almost everyone on the BWI Lions Den and other spin-offs (247, etc) are still active on this site. I still have many of my hard copy preseason BWI magazines and weekly paper BWI recaps from years ago in storage in my garage back to the 90’s minimum.

Congrats Phil and well done sir ! WE ARE and YOU ARE PENN STATE !

I believe I received my first (complimentary) copy of Catch Lions Fever at a Blue/White game some 40 years ago, not sure if it was Phil passing them out at a table in front of the Beav'. Been a follower of the print and digital version ever since.

edit: I used to sneak onto the plotit message board from work, when I was on a break.

Last edited:
I’ve been a customer in one way or another for a long time and, for many, many years, before the internet took over, Phil’s paper was the only connection to PSU football and other sports. Last week we discussed his appearances on a Philly radio show early Saturday mornings to talk about recruiting and it was like an oasis in the desert.

So congrats to Phil, time to relax a bit, take care of the Mrs., play some golf and hope his legacy carries on.

Reactions: BBrown
If memory serves, that happened 1998 or thereabouts. It was right around the Chris Simms debacle. There was an interim board before rivals became a thing.

Sounds about right. I distinctly remember being on BWI in the summer of 1999 with the lead up to the game with Arizona. A bunch of their fans were on here talking about how Penn State wouldn't be able to handle AZ's speed. Western speed, I guess! Didn't they call their preseason camp Camp Kochise (sp?) or something like that?

I have been following Phil since the "Catch Lions Fever" days and subscribed to the recruiting publication he put out with another guy, who I believe subsequently passed away. I appreciate the community he started that evolved into the board.

Thanks, Phil.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT