ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Mauti

I think that's rewriting the past but to each their own. A playoff was the best thing to ever happen to football.
The so-called playoffs (they are not legitimate and will always be) are not the worst thing to ever happen to the game but they aren't very far off. The playoffs have made a mockery of college football. Even more so than the BCS. Not as bad as NIL but close. The playoffs are a joke. The BCS was a joke. The Bowl Alliance was a joke. The Bowl Coalition was a joke. The fact of the matter is, college football, beyond the regular season, is pathetic and the regular season has been damaged beyond repair by everything mentioned above. What was once the great event in sports is now a shadow of its former selves.

The so-called playoffs (they are not legitimate and will always be) are not the worst thing to ever happen to the game but they aren't very far off. The playoffs have made a mockery of college football. Even more so than the BCS. Not as bad as NIL but close. The playoffs are a joke. The BCS was a joke. The Bowl Alliance was a joke. The Bowl Coalition was a joke. The fact of the matter is, college football, beyond the regular season, is pathetic and the regular season has been damaged beyond repair by everything mentioned above. What was once the great event in sports is now a shadow of its former selves.
This is so false it's comical. A 12 team playoff is halfway to where we need to go.
Bowl games are just much of a joke as the Bowl Alliance, BCS and a 4 team playoff.
College football is as good, if not better, than ever, you're just stuck in the past.

This is so false it's comical. A 12 team playoff is halfway to where we need to go.
Bowl games are just much of a joke as the Bowl Alliance, BCS and a 4 team playoff.
College football is as good, if not better, than ever, you're just stuck in the past.
BS. Pure BS. We need to get rid of the current post-season and go back to the old bowl system. Much better. Much less controversy. College football is a shadow of its former self. It was much better in the early 90s than it is now. It isn't close. The alliance/coalition/bcs killed the out of conference schedule. The four team invitational is a joke. A 12 team invitational will be worse. The game as we know it is on its death bed. The worst thing is we knew what would happen when the game moved into the BCS phase. We knew there would be more controversy on an annual basis. We knew the sheeple would not shut up and scream for a playoff. We knew that would be worse given how different D1 football is from every other level of football. These were not unknowns.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
BS. Pure BS. We need to get rid of the current post-season and go back to the old bowl system. Much better. Much less controversy. College football is a shadow of its former self. It was much better in the early 90s than it is now. It isn't close. The alliance/coalition/bcs killed the out of conference schedule. The four team invitational is a joke. A 12 team invitational will be worse. The game as we know it is on its death bed. The worst thing is we knew what would happen when the game moved into the BCS phase. We knew there would be more controversy on an annual basis. We knew the sheeple would not shut up and scream for a playoff. We knew that would be worse given how different D1 football is from every other level of football. These were not unknowns.
Your seriously cannot believe half the crap you write.

What you are saying is the old bowl system worked well and was proof that none of PSUs undefeated teams deserved a chance. You, my friend, are certifiably a lunatic

Less controversy before? lmao There was no reason to read past that lie

Reactions: mn78psu83
Less controversy before? lmao There was no reason to read past that lie
Never mind that is a fact. We had far less controversy on a year to year basis before we attempted to build a mythical championship game. It wasn't perfect, but it was considerably better than the annual controversy that has ensued since.

Your seriously cannot believe half the crap you write.

What you are saying is the old bowl system worked well and was proof that none of PSUs undefeated teams deserved a chance. You, my friend, are certifiably a lunatic
It wasn't perfect but it did in fact work quite well. Significant controversy less than 20% of the time is considerably better than significant controversy greater than 80%.

Never mind that is a fact. We had far less controversy on a year to year basis before we attempted to build a mythical championship game. It wasn't perfect, but it was considerably better than the annual controversy that has ensued since.
You couldn't be more wrong. If you honestly believe that I'm terrified. Actually that's not true. Based on your posts you probably believe that nonsense. 12 finally gets us closer to where we need to he. Every step was an improvement over bowl games.

Reactions: mn78psu83
You couldn't be more wrong. If you honestly believe that I'm terrified. Actually that's not true. Based on your posts you probably believe that nonsense. 12 finally gets us closer to where we need to he. Every step was an improvement over bowl games.
Try again. 12 will be worse. Every step we have taken has diminished the game. The only way a playoff will ever be better is if the power five conferences break away from the rest of D1, and align themselves into neat and tidy conferences. Until that happens, the results are not legitimate. Even then, there is work to be done. All schools must play by the same rules.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
Try again. 12 will be worse. Every step we have taken has diminished the game. The only way a playoff will ever be better is if the power five conferences break away from the rest of D1, and align themselves into neat and tidy conferences. Until that happens, the results are not legitimate. Even then, there is work to be done. All schools must play by the same rules.
Hence the playoff needs to be 24 with auto bids for all conferences. We're getting there....slowly. More is the answer. Not less or none.

He loved it because it gave mediocrities like Bo Schembechler regular chances at lucking into a title shot by playing 1 team with a pulse and leveraging Michigan’s history to get votes in the popularity contest known as the UPI poll.

And who can forget BYU’s joke title

Reactions: LandoComando
He loved it because it gave mediocrities like Bo Schembechler regular chances at lucking into a title shot by playing 1 team with a pulse and leveraging Michigan’s history to get votes in the popularity contest known as the UPI poll.

Poor Bo. “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”

Exactly

Love the cherry picking. Always makes for a credible argument. The funny thing is, this is the path to a title that was created by failed attempts to create a mythical champion and has gotten worse during the playoff era.

that is not true really at all. Jay wasn't a great coach but better than many of Franklin's boys (better QB coach than Ricky Rahne and better OC than John Donovan by a country mile). Jay is well regarded, not for being a football coach but for being a Penn Stater.
Being a better OC than Donovan is not exactly a hard task to pull off.

Well wait a minute. I pretty sure Jay coached MRobinson and D.Clark to 1st team All-Big-10 and offensive players of the year. I don't think we have had a QB coach since Jay to do that. He was not a bad coach. If he wanted to continue in coaching I am sure he would have been hired. He has plenty of cash do not have to work for the rest of his life. I am tired of hearing that Joe hired his son! Oh the nepotism!! EVERY COACH I can think of always hired their sons. Bobby Bowden, Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Pete Carroll, Kirk Ferentz, Dennis Erickson, Frank Beamer, Greg Schiano, Tom Allen, etc.
And Jeff Bowden was massively worse than Jay ever was at Penn State. Frankly, considering FSU's talent pool, Jeff Bowden was dramatically worse than Brian Ferentz too.

I think Jay actually did have the lead on recruiting Clark

and i'm no fan of Jay, but credit where due.
Jay Paterno's first recruiting class, for which he was heavily responsible as officially in charge of that part of the program, was the #1 class in the country. People blame Jay's recruiting for the Dark Ages. This is nonsense. A lot of those guys were potentially mis-evaluated, but, if they were, that error was by every recruiter and every other college (Which all offered them too). Many of the others that didn't pan out were for injuries and all sorts of random reasons.

Jay was a fine recruiter, in all reality.

Jay Paterno's first recruiting class, for which he was heavily responsible as officially in charge of that part of the program, was the #1 class in the country. People blame Jay's recruiting for the Dark Ages. This is nonsense. A lot of those guys were potentially mis-evaluated, but, if they were, that error was by every recruiter and every other college (Which all offered them too). Many of the others that didn't pan out were for injuries and all sorts of random reasons.

This is delusional

In all reality Jay has been a smashing failure in every single thing he has done.

In all reality Jay has been a smashing failure in every single thing he has done.
AHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!! He was offensive coordinator and QB coach at PSU. He coached 2 All Big 10 1st team QBS and Big 10 Offensive Players of the Year. You didn't. He knows more about football and how to coach it than you ever will. By his early 40s he amassed so much money he never has to work again! He was elected to the PSU BODs. You weren't. I find him a surprisingly good writer in everything I have read from him. His wife is also hotter than yours! He got you beat every which and coming and going!

AHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!! He was offensive coordinator and QB coach at PSU. He coached 2 All Big 10 1st team QBS and Big 10 Offensive Players of the Year. You didn't. He knows more about football and how to coach it than you ever will. By his early 40s he amassed so much money he never has to work again! He was elected to the PSU BODs. You weren't. I find him a surprisingly good writer in everything I have read from him. His wife is also hotter than yours! He got you beat every which and coming and going!
Daddy's money
And I won't respond to the comment about his wife as that's not fair to her as she never asked for this world. Although she likely only married him for the money--smart girl

Uhhh...no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT