ADVERTISEMENT

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC | Update: UT & OU announce departure

Only included VT since I think the state may mandate they be together (is that still a thing?).

Who knows? It's almost inconceivable that the two together bring in enough incremental revenue to be non-dilutive. If that's the case, I'd tell UVa and the Virginia legislature to go pound sand.

Reactions: Midnighter2
ND and UNC would be the best pair. Then UVa. VaDreck is just another mouth to feed and I'm not sure how much traction GaTech has in Atlanta or the rest of the state
UNC and NC State won’t be split because they are both part of the UNC system.

Reactions: bison13
Either way best thing Big Ten can do right now is not overreact. The ACC is sitting there ripe for the picking with a terrible contract unless they convince/beg ESPN to toss them $100+ million more per year to divide up (fat chance lol, Disney ain't giving away money right now).

The ACC has this terrible deal through 2036. Big Ten just needs to get a big deal done and make the next one expire around 2032-2034 which is when we'd go hard for ACC schools.

That way we can have a new contract with ACC schools in it for 2034 and beyond.

Reactions: BBrown and Madman_1
It looks like Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC is a done deal. I thought the "grant of [TV] rights" they made to the Big XII was going to be an impediment, as it would apparently cost each school a cool $80 million to jump ship right now. But if rumors in the attached CBS report are correct, Texas' and Oklahoma's grant of rights expires in 2025, and they are prepared to simply announce the move now and wait until then if necessary. The thinking is that this announcement may lead to a much earlier dissolution of the Big XII, and with it the grant of rights restriction. Time will tell.

It looks like Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC is a done deal. I thought the "grant of [TV] rights" they made to the Big XII was going to be an impediment, as it would apparently cost each school a cool $80 million to jump ship right now. But if rumors in the attached CBS report are correct, Texas' and Oklahoma's grant of rights expires in 2025, and they are prepared to simply announce the move now and wait until then if necessary. The thinking is that this announcement may lead to a much earlier dissolution of the Big XII, and with it the grant of rights restriction. Time will tell.

The Austin newspaper also reported that aTm was in the dark as discussions took place over the last six months. Betcha that makes them happy.

Texas & OU make formal announcement

They will not review their Big XII grant of rights after it's expiration in 2025. No mention of movement to SEC. Could this be a ploy for renegotiation of existing Big XII TV contract while dropping LNH or are they going to seek out highest bidder for these two programs?

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds in next few years

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see Colorado being added. They meet the Big Ten academic criteria, they add a large and growing market to the conference, there are a lot of Big Ten alums in Colorado (based on a Frank the Tank blog a couple of years ago), they are contiguous with the Big Ten footprint in Nebraska, and they are reportedly not at all happy with the Pac 12 financial return.

Fun times.

Big Ten not interested in non-AAU schools like Oklahoma. Good one.
I don’t get the AAU fixation. If it’s so critical for your conference then why vote to remove it from Nebraska? And now that Nebraska isn’t AAU why aren’t they voted out of the big ten since it’s an absolute must to be in the conference?

Last edited:
They will not review their Big XLL grant of rights after ut's expiration in 2025. No mention of movement to SEC. Could this be a ploy for renegotiation of existing Big XII TV contract while dropping LNH or are they going to seek out highest bidder for these two programs?

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds in next few years
college football MUST go one of two ways:
  • expand the playoff list from 4 to 8 or 16. If you do this, you make the regular seasons into a "play in" where having one or two tough games is all you need to do to get in. So this benefits teams like Clemson, ND, USC and Oregon.
  • Continue with the current "strength of schedule" scam which benefits the SEC who will get two of the four teams in almost every year but really hurts anyone who does not win the B1G, ACC or Pac10. Even if you win, there is no guarantee to getting an invitation if you have a single loss.
SEC dominates college football. If they are smart, the SEC can make them the only real game in town. It will be the SEC super conference and the other people. That's it. If I am PSU, I am trying to get a ticket on that train because, if not, you may get left at the station. The NCAA is history, toast, tail-lights...and they will be of no help moving forward. It is a free for all.

Total load of horeshit. So I guess they wouldn't consider adding Notre Dame.

Sounds like the face-saving move of a six year old who lost out on the ultimate prize.

I could see Colorado being added. They meet the Big Ten academic criteria, they add a large and growing market to the conference, there are a lot of Big Ten alums in Colorado (based on a Frank the Tank blog a couple of years ago), they are contiguous with the Big Ten footprint in Nebraska, and they are reportedly not at all happy with the Pac 12 financial return.

Fun times.
I think UC and Oklahoma St would be solid additions and could help form a strong Midwest division. UW might not like OSU in their division.

Reactions: bison13
I hated Jim Delany, but feel he would handle this better than current yahoo. Don’t like Barry A, however he will have best interest of B1G in mind if league expands. Probably good he is in his role now that official OU and Texas are leaving.
Delany probably would have handled it better. About the only person who I can think of that could handle it worse is Ms. Excellence.

Don't expect much from Alvarez. he's a fvcking yayhoo.

It’s more big ten hypocrisy. AAU is a must. We won’t take inferior schools (just don’t look at non AAU Nebraska).

However, if Notre Dame wants in the conference? Absolutely, we were just joking about needing that AAU thing! It was more of a ‘guideline’ than a rule. 🙄

First, contracts are made to be broken. If the time to strike is now, B1G must make a move. 2nd, the smart move would be to go after TAMU. That puts B1G in Texas. TAMU is not happy with the Texas to the SEC and would be more than happy to get the bigger B1G payout. Then go after the ACC schools in VA and NC. Finally ND would have no choice.
I like that idea of goin after T A&M. Not heard that before. I like UVA too

Reactions: BBrown

Fun times.

If you're going after the Pac 12, go after the big dog.

49ca7223bde9f468f7b9f09215bb9a42.gif

A&M will be next potential shoe to drop if they decide they do not want to remain in SEC if Texas joins. Will A&M stay in SEC, lead charge to go back to Big XII and add teams, or will they look for another conference completely? 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

So, the money from being in the conference (SEC) is better than a near guarantee in the playoff every year (which is what Oklahoma was doing for the most part)? Or is this move in anticipation of a playoff expansion? Even in it's worst year, no more than two teams from one conference will get into a four team playoff. And with OSU likely the B1G Champ/rep for the foreseeable future, along with Clemson and the ACC, that leaves one spot for a strong Pac 12 champ (likely USC or Oregon) or a second SEC team. After the SEC cannibalizes itself, there isn't enough room for Texas, Georgia, Bama, Oklahoma, Florida, and LSU.

Reactions: Shadow99 and BBrown

Fun times.

iwwnUZwOmSsOY3MgAjqu21cQDQs9DTJKxFNtSM_H2GP-mZGTifMJ69gQ_2G3QkZCT0rJcebl1pAnH5Sr6f6DPFV5vz-UAZhERPFkHr7LP4PSR9k7xSOhkCZUn18r3BSeJEv4jmGBYe_xkqc-Oq4bHLi0W_1Z247OEEI

I don’t get the AAU fixation. If it’s so critical for your conference then why vote to remove it from Nebraska? And now that Nebraska isn’t AAU why aren’t they voted out of the big ten since it’s an absolute to be in the conference?
I think the AAU "requirement" is a smokescreen to weed out schools which aren't seen as adding value. If Northeast Western State Univ. had a competitive football program and wanted to join the conference, the suits could fall back on, "Sorry, we'd love to have you but we have an AAU preference". OTOH, if Texas said they wanted to join but only on the condition Oklahoma could come too, the AAU preference would be overlooked.

Reactions: stf110 and BBrown
A&M will be next potential shoe to drop if they decide they do not want to remain in SEC if Texas joins. Will A&M stay in SEC, lead charge to go back to Big XII and add teams, or will they look for another conference completely? 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿
A&M won't go anywhere, they will stay where the $$$'s are. This has only been about one thing ever....$$$$'s. This idea that academic ties still factor into any of this anymore sure sounds good at a PC, but it's all about $$$$'s and TV contracts. A&M may be butt hurt the Horns are coming after that promise, but they aren't going to save the B12 somehow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT