ADVERTISEMENT

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC | Update: UT & OU announce departure

Supposedly Texas and Oklahoma are going to notify the big 12 they won’t continue signing their guarantee of media rights next week and then officially ask the spec for admission after.

Wasn't the issue between the Big Ten and Texas based on the Longwhorn Network? How will the SEC deal with that?

Wasn't the issue between the Big Ten and Texas based on the Longwhorn Network? How will the SEC deal with that?
I think ESPN wants out of the LHN deal, I believe it hasn't worked out very well. If UT is willing to drop it, it might be a non issue this time around for possible expansion talks.

IMO, raid the ACC. Get VT and UVA and push for ND. UNC or GT would be nicel and there is always Pitt and maybe Syracuse. Kansas, Iowa State, etc. - add nothing save bball.
Raiding the ACC does sound like the best option.

I think this round of realignment may be even worse than the last round. USC has been sniffing around and looking at its options the last couple of years. If they leave and take UCLA or UO, then the P12 is in deeper doo doo than they are now.

If the dominos fall the right way, we may, unfortunately, be forced into 4 superconference model. I guess the superconference model would be better than having emaciated P12, Big12 and possibly ACC sticking around.

Do you believe PSU would want Pitt in the Big Ten. I don’t.
At one time I would have said no but now I'm not sure.
If there’s going to be expansion I wouldn’t mind having PITT and CUSE in the BIG. Expansion would probably mean few if any OOC games. So having a couple of conference tomato cans to kick around and build the win total wouldn’t be a terrible thing.

Reactions: BobPSU92
This seems like a revenue only decision but its possible a 16 team SEC could double the revenue the BIG12 currently gets. So I understand it from that angle.

If there’s going to be expansion I wouldn’t mind having PITT and CUSE in the BIG. Expansion would probably mean few if any OOC games. So having a couple of conference tomato cans to kick around and build the win total wouldn’t be a terrible thing.
Forget about those two. Why should PSU do anything to enhance recruiting for them? Western PA and NY are already lighter on D1 caliber talent which PSU has been able to do pretty well signing. Adding PITT gives them a new recruiting pitch. No thanks.

Reactions: We Are . . .
IMO, raid the ACC. Get VT and UVA and push for ND. UNC or GT would be nicel and there is always Pitt and maybe Syracuse. Kansas, Iowa State, etc. - add nothing save bball.

ND and UNC would be the best pair. Then UVa. VaDreck is just another mouth to feed and I'm not sure how much traction GaTech has in Atlanta or the rest of the state

Reactions: Midnighter2
I like UVA, VT, GT, and Syracuse. All would fit well in the BIG academic culture and are athletically competitive enough. One article I read mentioned UCF to make a Florida inroad but they would be an outlier and are not a very old university.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I like UVA, VT, GT, and Syracuse. All would fit well in the BIG academic culture and are athletically competitive enough. One article I read mentioned UCF to make a Florida inroad but they would be an outlier and are not a very old university.

What's this "BIG academic culture?" You've been listening to too many university presidents bloviate. It's all about the money and nothing other than money.

F' Syracuse. They should live with their decision to screw Joe and the All Sports conference for eternity

A Clemson/Notre Dame/Florida State/Miami join of the B1G would be pretty cool.
I predict all the major football powers are going to consolidate into 3 conferences: SEC, Big, and Pac 10. All other conferences will become clones of the MAC. Look for Clemson and Notre Dame to pick either the Big or SEC. Maybe Miami and Florida State will pick the SEC too. Some of the Big, SEC, and PAC 10 bottom feeders will move to the lesser conferences. All 4 and 5 star recruits will ultimately pick between teams in the 3 major conferences. Once the playoffs are expanded, they will slot teams from the 3 major conferences with maybe one or two from the lesser conferences as "wildcards".

Life will become simpler with this setup.

ND and UNC would be the best pair. Then UVa. VaDreck is just another mouth to feed and I'm not sure how much traction GaTech has in Atlanta or the rest of the state

All good choices since academics and AAU membership are the top priorities for the b1g.

Raiding the ACC does sound like the best option.

I think this round of realignment may be even worse than the last round. USC has been sniffing around and looking at its options the last couple of years. If they leave and take UCLA or UO, then the P12 is in deeper doo doo than they are now.

If the dominos fall the right way, we may, unfortunately, be forced into 4 superconference model. I guess the superconference model would be better than having emaciated P12, Big12 and possibly ACC sticking around.
Raiding the ACC is the most likely option.

Texas is going to jump out of a Big 12 *that pays more* than the ACC right now. The ACC's terrible media deal lasts through 2036.

Big Ten can pull schools like UNC/UVA/Clemson/FSU or whoever in 10-12 years when the gap between Big Ten and ACC is $20-25 million a year.

So, who does the B10 add now? I doubt they will stand still.

Kansas for BB? Iowa State, who is R1 and AAU??
Most likely the Big Ten will wait a couple years until we get close to the ACC's contract ending. The ACC's contract ends in 2036 but it's a terrible contract (paid like $8 million less per year than the Big 12 contract that Texas wants to get out of...).

ACC contract is as bad as the Pac-12. Schools like Clemson/FSU as well as UNC/UVa would have to consider how big the revenue gap will be between the Big Ten and ACC by 2030.

Issue is just that that's a long time away, but might as well be patient. Big Ten won't rush into this considering we have a way better TV contract and the ACC is locked through 2036. That's a long time for the Big Ten to grow the revenue gap.

Why in the world would the Big want pitt?!?!? No fan base. Rented stadium. Lousy teams with no end in sight because of poor recruiting. No TV market. Rutgers and pitt would become bookends with a top team in the middle. pitt in the Big makes no sense at all. Why not just take Bucknell or Lehigh or Toledo?

I'm not sure UNC will do anything without duke

Most likely the Big Ten will wait a couple years until we get close to the ACC's contract ending. The ACC's contract ends in 2036 but it's a terrible contract (paid like $8 million less per year than the Big 12 contract that Texas wants to get out of...).

ACC contract is as bad as the Pac-12. Schools like Clemson/FSU as well as UNC/UVa would have to consider how big the revenue gap will be between the Big Ten and ACC by 2030.

Issue is just that that's a long time away, but might as well be patient. Big Ten won't rush into this considering we have a way better TV contract and the ACC is locked through 2036. That's a long time for the Big Ten to grow the revenue gap.
First, contracts are made to be broken. If the time to strike is now, B1G must make a move. 2nd, the smart move would be to go after TAMU. That puts B1G in Texas. TAMU is not happy with the Texas to the SEC and would be more than happy to get the bigger B1G payout. Then go after the ACC schools in VA and NC. Finally ND would have no choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown

Only included VT since I think the state may mandate they be together (is that still a thing?).

First, contracts are made to be broken. If the time to strike is now, B1G must make a move. 2nd, the smart move would be to go after TAMU. That puts B1G in Texas. TAMU is not happy with the Texas to the SEC and would be more than happy to get the bigger B1G payout. Then go after the ACC schools in VA and NC. Finally ND would have no choice.
Sure, but we have to wait and see how the Grant of Rights argument plays out. All ACC schools have a Grant of Rights that grants all TV rights to the conference through 2036.

Texas/OU have a Grant of Rights with the Big 12 through 2025.

So if Texas/OU break their GoR, then yes we can go and grab the ACC schools now. But if Texas/OU wait until 2025 to move, then the Big Ten will likely wait. We're not going to give hundreds of millions of dollars to the ACC just to get a couple of their schools.

If Texas/OU don't break their GoR with the Big 12, then we have to sit and wait. There's no reason to be impatient, the ACC's TV contract gets worse every year since it gets more undervalued every year. There's no rush.

Why in the world would the Big want pitt?!?!? No fan base. Rented stadium. Lousy teams with no end in sight because of poor recruiting. No TV market. Rutgers and pitt would become bookends with a top team in the middle. pitt in the Big makes no sense at all. Why not just take Bucknell or Lehigh or Toledo?
You forgot about those stupid yellow seat costumes the fans wear.

Forget about those two. Why should PSU do anything to enhance recruiting for them? Western PA and NY are already lighter on D1 caliber talent which PSU has been able to do pretty well signing. Adding PITT gives them a new recruiting pitch. No thanks.
Did both of you check leave your sense of humor in the other room before posting? No sane person would ever consider PITT or CUSE for BIG membership considering they bring nothing to the table. I really thought my comment would be considered tongue in cheek. Having said that, the idiot Commissioner Warren is probably on the phone with them right now. And hopefully that is a joke.

Reactions: zeek55
Since we are shuffling the deck.....

My ACC divestiture (football only):

BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, Louisville, WF, NC State >>>>>> a New Big East (add Temple, Cincinnati, Navy, USF, UConn from the AAC)
ND, UVA, VT, UNC, GT >>>>>> Big 10
UM, FSU, Clemson >>>>>> SEC

The MAC and the remainder of the AAC merge to form the MAACO.

Your the only one that thought it was funny. Others took it too seriously, I guess I’m losing my touch. “Touch” now that should give you an opening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT