ADVERTISEMENT

Texas gulf coast

Texas folks:

My brother-in-law lives in Austin and is scheduled to fly home on Sunday (very early morning out of Pittsburgh). We're trying to figure out what to do with regards to staying a couple of extra days or not.

He's only been in Austin for about a year and while it's far inland, is unsure of whether he'll be able to get into town on Sunday at all, let alone have power, etc.

Do you think it's best to stay in PA for a couple of extra days until things clear up?

Texas folks:

My brother-in-law lives in Austin and is scheduled to fly home on Sunday (very early morning out of Pittsburgh). We're trying to figure out what to do with regards to staying a couple of extra days or not.

He's only been in Austin for about a year and while it's far inland, is unsure of whether he'll be able to get into town on Sunday at all, let alone have power, etc.

Do you think it's best to stay in PA for a couple of extra days until things clear up?

Latest Austin forecast for Sunday is winds of about 30 MPH and an inch or so of rain/heavy thunderstorms.. we're right on the edge of the area predicted to get about 15 inches over the weekend (that will be southeast of Austin - and airport is on southeast part of town.. so it could be worse due to flooding - Airlines are changing flights without penalty for Austin this weekend because they expect a large number of flight cancellations, so even if he wanted to travel, there's a good chance he won't be able to until Monday or so anyhow...

So he can get ahead of the curve and call airlines now and probably get on a good flight Tues AM- or he could try it, probably wind up stuck (and maybe sitting at airport all day watching flights get delayed/cancelled) and then get thrown on whatever flight they stick him on...

If it was me, I'd call the airline, get a flight Tues and enjoy a few more days in Pittsburgh.

Latest Austin forecast for Sunday is winds of about 30 MPH and an inch or so of rain/heavy thunderstorms..
Have they downgraded our rainfall forecast that much? I don't think winds are a concern here but I've been reading that the storm track is a bit of a gray area and that we could be in the range of anywhere from 5" to 15" of rain this weekend. Those pointing out the 15" number have said that only a couple of computer models indicate that, so it's pretty unlikely. I think they are expecting more in the 5"-10" range. I'd imagine we'll see some flooding here in the typical spots (for other readers, flooding in the Austin area isn't that uncommon) but hopefully nothing catastrophic.

Texas folks:

My son is flying out of Austin today with a Philly destination. His flight was just delayed 5 hours due to mechanical problem. He too is supposed to return to Austin on Sunday. He plans to park his car on high ground and take UBER to the airport, today. If that problem is solved.

Given what the folks all along the Texas are facing, I thought it might be appropriate to start s thread sending them prayers and well wishes. I hope as many gold get way inland as possible.

Prayers sent.
I would just delay a few days and stay if I were him. The potential is for it to get ugly here! I'd bet there will be delays.

Texas folks:

I lived in Austin for 13 years, am now in Pittsburgh, and all the "stuff" like this usually fizzled out before getting that far inland. Not that there won't be delays. Play it safe a delay a day or two if you can. I always tried to fly through Dallas so I never got stuck too far from home.

It looks like they changed the forecast. Instead of storm going inland, it is going to turn and rake the coastline toward LA. So that has changed Austin's forecast. I am still hearing up to 12 inches of rain though.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Thanks guys. Some recent reports have it heading back out to the gulf and slamming Galveston on Wednesday. Lots of rain and some wind now at my place just south of Houston.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Texas folks:

I agree with AustinLion. Fly on Tuesday, otherwise expect delays and cancellations on Sunday. The latest NWS forecast is 6-12 inches over the weekend for the Austin area with the worst weather east of the I-35 corridor (i.e. parking lot).

A wobble WNW it looks like. Corpus Christi might not be out of the western eye wall woods yet.

It looks like they changed the forecast. Instead of storm going inland, it is going to turn and rake the coastline toward LA. So that has changed Austin's forecast. I am still hearing up to 12 inches of rain though.
Yep, that's the latest on the storm track but they keep emphasizing that they are uncertain because there aren't any strong winds right now that will guide the storm one way or another. The most recent Austin forecast I saw is calling for 6-8" of rain total. All of that changes if the storm stays on more of a NW course. All that said, unless it's a major hassle I'd probably advise your BIL to stay in Pittsburgh until all of this is over. Even if we don't get hit hard in Austin travel logistics are going to be a mess around here for the next few days.

Yep, that's the latest on the storm track but they keep emphasizing that they are uncertain because there aren't any strong winds right now that will guide the storm one way or another. The most recent Austin forecast I saw is calling for 6-8" of rain total. All of that changes if the storm stays on more of a NW course. All that said, unless it's a major hassle I'd probably advise your BIL to stay in Pittsburgh until all of this is over. Even if we don't get hit hard in Austin travel logistics are going to be a mess around here for the next few days.
I hope no one has a flight into Rockport. I hope Texas still has a Rockport tomorrow night. Re-con showing sustained 131 mph surface winds w/ 941 mb pressure.

My Mom's in Nursing Care at Querencia in Austin. I got a call yesterday afternoon, Querencia's sister facility in Corpus Christi is being evacuated and everyone's being moved up to Austin for a few days. So my 90 year old Mom will have a roommate over the weekend! That could be a natural disaster, too!

My brother and his family are in Austin, my niece is in Austin, my nephew is just north of San Antonio. Fortunately all live on high ground with the only danger being a pool overflowing.

All you Texans - let's be careful out there! :)

130 mph winds with 8-12' of storm surge + waves heading for Port Lavaca. Then it's going to rain for 5 days.

hSSutE6.jpg

Last edited:
Just upgraded to cat 4. I was supposed to go to Port Aransas for Labor Day. I'm guessing that's out. The home we planned to stay in might not exist in 48 hours.

Wow. If it slows a bit more, is Cat 5 out of the question?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone, and prayers to all affected by the storm.

My brother-in-law made arrangements for work on Monday and will make a final decision on travel tomorrow. I'd imagine he'll be flying out of somewhere late Monday or Tuesday.

130 mph winds with 8-12' of storm surge + waves heading for Port Lavaca. Then it's going to rain for 5 days.

hSSutE6.jpg
When I moved from PA as a teen, we moved to Port Lavaca. Grew up there before moving to San Marcos and then Austin area. Praying for family and friends there and all along the Texas coast.

I'm due to fly back to Austin on Sunday through Dallas. We'll see. Staying with family so no extra expense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT