ADVERTISEMENT

Televised/Streamed Wrestling 1/24-26

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
This weekend's scan of BTN & ESPN networks (all times Eastern), with television coverage bolded . . .

Friday 1/24
• Clarion @ Michigan St (6:00 PM, BTN+)
• Cleveland St @ SIUE (7:00 PM, ESPN+)
• North Carolina @ Virginia Tech (7:00 PM, ACCN) [replay @ midnight]
• Virginia @ NC State (7:00 PM, ACCNX)
• Purdue @ Maryland (7:00 PM, BTN+)
• Indiana @ Rutgers (7:00 PM, BTN+)
• Penn State @ Nebraska (7:00 PM, BTN TV)
• Michigan @ Northwestern (8:00 PM, BTN+)
Ohio St @ Iowa (9:00 PM, BTN TV)

Saturday 1/25
• Pittsburgh @ Duke (10:00 AM, ACCNX)
• Presbyterian vs. Oregon St (12:00 PM, ESPN+)
• Harvard @ Cornell (1:00 PM, ESPN+)
• Presbyterian vs. Campbell (1:30 PM, ESPN+)
• Oregon St vs. Campbell (3:00 PM, ESPN+)
• Northern Illinois @ Missouri (3:00 PM, ESPN3)
• Cleveland St @ Missouri (5:30 PM, ESPN3)
• Brown @ Cornell (6:00 PM, ESPN+)
• Emmanuel vs. Presbyterian (6:30
PM, ESPN+) [women]
• George Mason @ Rider (7:00 PM, ESPN+)

Sunday 1/26
• Purdue @ Rutgers (1:00 PM, BTN+)
• Michigan @ Illinois (2:00 PM, BTN+)
• Edinboro @ Pittsburgh (2:00 PM, ACCNX)
• Indiana @ Maryland (3:00 PM, BTN+)
• Michigan St @ Nebraska (3:00 PM, BTN+)
Ohio St @ Minnesota (8:30 PM, BTN TV)

Individual matchups to watch:

F 1/24:
Iowa vs. Ohio State:
141 - Murin vs. Pletcher
149 - Lugo vs. Sasso
197 - Warner vs. Moore

VT vs. North Carolina:
165 - McFadden vs. Monday

Sat 1/25:
UNI vs. OKST:
184 - Lujan vs. Montalvo

Sun 1/26:
Goofers vs. Tanners:
141 - McKee vs. Pletcher
149 - Lee vs. Sasso

2 other things I noticed while scanning the upcoming matches:

Remember when people thought Grant LaMont would be our 125 because he was a Mormon lightweight? He is now all the way up to 174 for Utah Valley.

Also, is this (125 Pitt vs. Duke) the first WrestleStat match prediction of its kind?
WrestleStat Prediction:
Louis Newell win by forfeit

Reactions: hlstone
Individual matchups to watch:

F 1/24:
Iowa vs. Ohio State:
141 - Murin vs. Pletcher
149 - Lugo vs. Sasso
197 - Warner vs. Moore

VT vs. North Carolina:
165 - McFadden vs. Monday

Sat 1/25:
UNI vs. OKST:
184 - Lujan vs. Montalvo

Sun 1/26:
Goofers vs. Tanners:
141 - McKee vs. Pletcher
149 - Lee vs. Sasso

May I add 184 - Jordan vs. Assad to your list?

Remember when people thought Grant LaMont would be our 125 because he was a Mormon lightweight? He is now all the way up to 174 for Utah Valley.

Also, is this (125 Pitt vs. Duke) the first WrestleStat match prediction of its kind?
WrestleStat Prediction:

i'm thinking duke doesn't have a 125er. i noticed a similar line on the flo 'live on flo this week' article last week:

Projected Lineups
125: Duke will forfeit vs Destin Summers (Fresno State)

edit: i looked up their official roster and they've only got one guy listed at 125 (doolittle). however, he hasn't wrestled 125 since 11/9, having 7 matches at 133 since then. considering they've only once more than one match in a dual once this year, seems like they're perfectly comfortable punting that weight.

Last edited:
i'm thinking duke doesn't have a 125er. i noticed a similar line on the flo 'live on flo this week' article last week:

Projected Lineups
125: Duke will forfeit vs Destin Summers (Fresno State)

edit: i looked up their official roster and they've only got one guy listed at 125 (doolittle). however, he hasn't wrestled 125 since 11/9, having 7 matches at 133 since then. considering they've only once more than one match in a dual once this year, seems like they're perfectly comfortable punting that weight.

If my memory is correct, I believe Duke’s squad may be non- scholarship.

WrestleStat Prediction:
It was his brother Taylor LaMont at 125. He wrestles 133 for them.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
If my memory is correct, I believe Duke’s squad may be non- scholarship.

it's nuts to me that they had 4 brothers on the team at once. that family must be swimming in debt, or very well off, or they got a bulk discount from duke haha

Reactions: danoftw
I DVR'd the UNC-VaTech dual
last night and am watching it now. Halfway through, I have to say it has been very entertaining.

It seems like the rise of the ACC paused for a bit in the past year or so -- it would be great to see it gap up again. Imagine a world where UNC, NC State, VaTech, UVA, and Pitt (currently in #10-25 range) all inched up into the Top 15, with a couple pushing Top 5 and a couple more 5-10. It could make for some killer intraconference duals like we see in the B1G.

last night and am watching it now. Halfway through, I have to say it has been very entertaining.

It seems like the rise of the ACC paused for a bit in the past year or so -- it would be great to see it gap up again. Imagine a world where UNC, NC State, VaTech, UVA, and Pitt (currently in #10-25 range) all inched up into the Top 15, with a couple pushing Top 5 and a couple more 5-10. It could make for some killer intraconference duals like we see in the B1G.
Seriously.

From a purely demographics viewpoint, it is unfathomable that Nebraska can win CKLV and PItt be in the 30rh-40th range at nationals. (Though at least Pitt finished higher than Rutgers at the Scuffle.)

There is more than enough talent in PA/NJ/OH/NY for the ACC schools to siphon off and be every bit as competitive as the 2nd tier of B10 schools, and maybe finish top 5 at nationals from time to time. NC State figured it out. And the sport would be better for it.

I'd like to see a BIG/ACC challenge weekend early in the season with doubleheaders such as VA/VA Tech or NC/NCState vs two Big Teams on a Friday at one venue and switch the venue for a Sunday double header. Probably not going to happen because of limitations in competition dates unless NCAA allowed a variance for something like this.

I'd like to see a BIG/ACC challenge weekend early in the season with doubleheaders such as VA/VA Tech or NC/NCState vs two Big Teams on a Friday at one venue and switch the venue for a Sunday double header. Probably not going to happen because of limitations in competition dates unless NCAA allowed a variance for something like this.
There could be a way to pull off something like this -- it would be complicated, but here goes:
1) 6 tri-meets -- 2 B10 teams and 1 ACC team. This would count as 1 competition date for every team. 2 B10 teams would be left out each year.
2) Mix it up so that no ACC school has to face 2 B10 powers -- i.e., not PSU and Iowa in the same day.
3) For the 3 matches hosted by B10 teams: the other B10 team is slated to travel there anyway (example, NW at PSU this year).
4) For the 3 matches hosted by ACC teams: the two B10 teams would have to be not slated to face each other (example, PSU and Indiana this year) -- or a B10 team would have to agree to waive one home dual (unlikely, and would be effectively an extra non-conference competition date for both).

That could work -- if both conferences were to go along with it. Not much incentive other than "good will" and "improve the sport," which doesn't carry much weight at B10 HQ, but who knows.

It wouldn't be extra competition dates for B10. One more for ACC, though they have fewer conference matches and thus more competition dates to play with.

It would also take some work with B10 scheduling -- teams might want that to be the only competition of the weekend. But road teams might want to do 2 weekend matches to save on travel costs.

Could also see some gamesmanship with coaches -- for example, resting the last 3 weights for the next dual if winning big.

There could be a way to pull off something like this -- it would be complicated, but here goes:
1) 6 tri-meets -- 2 B10 teams and 1 ACC team. This would count as 1 competition date for every team. 2 B10 teams would be left out each year.
2) Mix it up so that no ACC school has to face 2 B10 powers -- i.e., not PSU and Iowa in the same day.
3) For the 3 matches hosted by B10 teams: the other B10 team is slated to travel there anyway (example, NW at PSU this year).
4) For the 3 matches hosted by ACC teams: the two B10 teams would have to be not slated to face each other (example, PSU and Indiana this year) -- or a B10 team would have to agree to waive one home dual (unlikely, and would be effectively an extra non-conference competition date for both).

That could work -- if both conferences were to go along with it. Not much incentive other than "good will" and "improve the sport," which doesn't carry much weight at B10 HQ, but who knows.

It wouldn't be extra competition dates for B10. One more for ACC, though they have fewer conference matches and thus more competition dates to play with.

It would also take some work with B10 scheduling -- teams might want that to be the only competition of the weekend. But road teams might want to do 2 weekend matches to save on travel costs.

Looks like you may have thought about this before. Might not get the conferences to go along with all teams participating, but if 4-6 of the BIG and ACC teams started, it might get some traction. VA/VaTech and NC/ NCSt make for reasonably decent logistics. A doubleheader something like PSU/VA and Purdue/VaTech at Tech on Friday or Sat, then switch the matchups on Sunday at VA. Could a Sat/Sun be considered one competition date?

Looks like you may have thought about this before. Might not get the conferences to go along with all teams participating, but if 4-6 of the BIG and ACC teams started, it might get some traction. VA/VaTech and NC/ NCSt make for reasonably decent logistics. A doubleheader something like PSU/VA and Purdue/VaTech at Tech on Friday or Sat, then switch the matchups on Sunday at VA. Could a Sat/Sun be considered one competition date?
They already changed the rule this year, where two duals in a three-day span counts as a single date up to twice per year (grouped in with the multi-day tournament exemption).

Reactions: nittinsc
Purdue's 197, Bruner injury defaults to Pagano. Did not look good for Bruner. Pagano had Bruners rt leg elevated and tripped Brunner down and Bruner's left knee gave out. Bruner had to be helped off the mat. Clean move by Pagano and you could tell he did not want to win that way.

Purdue's 197, Bruner injury defaults to Pagano. Did not look good for Bruner. Pagano had Bruners rt leg elevated and tripped Brunner down and Bruner's left knee gave out. Bruner had to be helped off the mat. Clean move by Pagano and you could tell he did not want to win that way.

Wasn't able to watch today -- thanks for the info.

Reminder. tOSU vs Minny on BTN right now.

Got a late start on this one, but nice work by Smith to go all out for the major with just 7 seconds left on a restart. Ryan fired up!

EDIT: And Romero follows it up w/ a winning takedown with 0:08 remaining in his match vs. Skatzka. If Jordan "upsets" Webster here, yikes for Minny.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnstownsteel
While we were busy watching other things:

165 – Kennedy Monday (North Carolina) TF David McFadden (Virginia Tech) 21-6, 6:21

That's 3x AA McFadden, who had given up bonus only 1 other time in his career, as a true freshman in 2016.

Reactions: danoftw
I saw that. I wonder if McFadden is hurt or has some other physical problem?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT