ADVERTISEMENT

Team missed Godwin yesterday

Richard the LIONhearted

May 29, 2001
WRs were absent - Johnson and Thompkins combined for 2 catches for 16 yards. Hamilton had 45 yards receiving. Overthrows contributed.

Team too reliant on Barkley for offense output. I thought Barkley's presence alone would open up numerous options for other offensive threats?It has for Mike G. But, other RBs? WRs?

No. The Lions have the best receiving group in the B1G. Trace and the offense has a bad day caused by Pitt defense that was well schemed.

Reactions: cavic
Barkley had 18 touches. They didn't have the ball as often as they'd like. Pitt defended them well and controlled the ball with a 86-52 edge in plays run. That was their game plan and PSU still won by 19! Trace looked uncomfortable and I do not remember too many long passes. He threw a lot of passes too high. He didn't have as much time as he normally does.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
We really haven t thrown the ball down the field and stretch the defense much at all this year. Not sure why ,but i m sure it s still in JoMo s back pocket.

Reactions: cavic
WRs were absent - Johnson and Thompkins combined for 2 catches for 16 yards. Hamilton had 45 yards receiving. Overthrows contributed.

Team too reliant on Barkley for offense output. I thought Barkley's presence alone would open up numerous options for other offensive threats?It has for Mike G. But, other RBs? WRs?

I remembermy frustrations at the beginning of last season. Team is doing the same things.

I'd like to see a power running game at some point instead of handing Barkley the ball with three defenders in his face but it is not to be.

Given our offense we have too many rbs.

Ldn

Reactions: Hero17
No. The Lions have the best receiving group in the B1G. Trace and the offense has a bad day caused by Pitt defense that was well schemed.

+1. Makes sense that Narducci would be the first coach to have a team really well prepared for the PSU offense. But other DCs are going to be doing the same thing.

The thing they did -- which teams like Wisconsin didn't do last year - was have their DTs occupy the middle, have their ends maintain contain and pressure McSorley with a blitzing LB.

That way McSorley is stuck in a shrinking pocket. If he doesn't have passing lanes, if he can't see the middle of the field, he is nowhere near as effective..

Used to like it when the steelers would put in brunner (a 2nd te) and go to a power running attack with bam Morris but they also had a blocking fullback. Wish PSU would put in that package with Robinson at fb.

I was at the game yesterday and trust me, there were open receivers.
It wasn't Godwin we were missing, it was that Trace played his worst game ever.

Reactions: rudedude
I wonder if McSorley is not yet comfortable with the group of receivers because he doesn't have a go-to like Godwin. Just a thought. I do not pretend to know what McSorley is thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT