Suggestion to make the Big Ten a 20 team super conference

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
We add:
1. one of either UCF or USF to get Florida tv coverage and solidify recruiting
2. Ga Tech for Atlanta tv market and solidify recruiting in GA
3. One of either UVA or VA Tech solidify Virginia recruiting and the DC tv market
4. Houston, to bring in Texas TV market and recruiting. Houston is bigger metro area than and other texas school except TCU, but I hate the color purple and having NW is enough purple
5. Kansas to bring in Kansas market including Kansas City metro area and elite basketball program (who cares how bad the football team is)
6. Ok St to bring in Oklahoma market and solidify lower plains market from NE to TX

We add:
3. One of either UVA or VA Tech solidify Virginia recruiting and the DC tv market
4. Houston, to bring in Texas TV market and recruiting. Houston is bigger metro area than and other texas school except TCU, but I hate the color purple and having NW is enough purple
5. Kansas to bring in Kansas market including Kansas City metro area and elite basketball program (who cares how bad the football team is)
6. Ok St to bring in Oklahoma market and solidify lower plains market from NE to TX
None of the schools you listed, other than UVA and GTech, are remotely equivalent to most of the schools in the B1G.

Why would any conference want to dilute itself for the sake of expansion?

In what way are you looking for equivalence, academic standing, alumnI, geographic footprint?

its about TV sets…

Except that none of those teams bring TV viewers. There is a reason why they are where they are.

The pac ten/12 schools add something for sure. What does WVU add except traditional east coast rival?
Availability, geography, you will need to balance divisions or pods or whatever, and remember the real money is in the national contracts and WVU is usually pretty good.

In my opinion, any conference’s viability going forward will depend on how many major “brand” programs they have. Right now, I’d say the Big Ten is the definite (albeit distant) second best conference in this regard.

If I were the Big Ten, I’d set my eyes on the “big fish” of the Pac 12; UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, and so on. This would both limit the SEC’s ability to create a true nationwide “super league” while making it less likely that any significant programs don’t defect from the B1G.

Another thing to consider: if I were the Big Ten, I’d have some urgency and be under the impression that the SEC is planning to do the exact same thing. I have no doubt that they (and ESPN) would want nothing more than to weaken their biggest competition (B1G/FOX) and ensure they control whatever the future of college football holds.

This sea to shining sea conference or Michigan to the SEC is fugging stupid. Just add WVU and Iowa State and
stop being such cucks and demand playoff games also get played the fug north of Dallas, Texas.

Make these "just means more" dorks come to any of the cities that end in "apolis" or better yet Lambaeu for a playoff game for a change. If it means so much more come play some ball in 35 degree weather - and leave ya mocassins at home Billy Joe.

Last edited:
We add:

1. Wouldn't they go for Miami-FL, if they are seeking to hit a FL market?

2. Check

3. UVA would be the choice.

4. Texas A&M to keep them unique. They oppose Texas to SEC.

5. Check.

6. I think they would prefer Colorado before any Oklahoma program. Academic ratings.

In my opinion, any conference’s viability going forward will depend on how many major “brand” programs they have. Right now, I’d say the Big Ten is the definite (albeit distant) second best conference in this regard.

If I were the Big Ten, I’d set my eyes on the “big fish” of the Pac 12; UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, and so on. This would both limit the SEC’s ability to create a true nationwide “super league” while making it less likely that any significant programs don’t defect from the B1G.

Another thing to consider: if I were the Big Ten, I’d have some urgency and be under the impression that the SEC is planning to do the exact same thing. I have no doubt that they (and ESPN) would want nothing more than to weaken their biggest competition (B1G/FOX) and ensure they control whatever the future of college football holds.

kevin warren’s got this.

The B1G could just do nothing; the conference is pretty sound as-is. I don't see why 20 teams vs. 14 would make them much better. In fact, it's hard to imagine any combination of six that would make it better overall or even make sense.

What we need to do is just add everybody to the conference and change the name of the conference to ANCAA (for "Another NCAA.") And then within that, the 14 current Big Ten teams could make a sub-conference out of that and name it the Big Ten.

I appreciate the effort. But once a “conference” is more than 10 teams, it really isn’t a conference any longer.

I have always been a believer that schedules need to be equal among all teams in order to determine a true champ. Once you get past 10 teams, that can’t be done any longer.

There needs to be about 6 conferences with 10 teams each. Wake me up when that happens.

Reactions: WDLion and psu00
Dream World no way would happen

ga tech and vandy
UVA and Va Tech
Rice and Texas AM
Stanford, USC and UCLA
BC and ND
UNC and Duke

add these 14 play and NFL type schedule divisions, conferences snd

winner of this super league and the SEC super league play for all the marbles the week before Super Bowl screw all the others out side of the two super conferences.

Last edited:
I appreciate the effort. But once a “conference” is more than 10 teams, it really isn’t a conference any longer.

I have always been a believer that schedules need to be equal among all teams in order to determine a true champ. Once you get past 10 teams, that can’t be done any longer.

There needs to be about 6 conferences with 10 teams each. Wake me up when that happens.

I agree. A true conference is one where (a) everybody plays everyone else every year in football and (b) everybody plays everyone else both home and away every year in basketball. A giant conference is more like an association IMO. If you only play another school once every few years then what's the point of being in the same conference as them (with the answer being, obviously money).

Reactions: NewEra 2014
If the SEC adds Texas and Oklahoma, then I expect the Big Ten and ACC to battle one another for the next best conference. I expect both conferences to try to poach one another’s schools while the Big Ten tries to poach the PAC 12. If this occurs, I would not be surprised to see Penn State head to the ACC.

The pac ten/12 schools add something for sure. What does WVU add except traditional east coast rival?
Replace WVU with Notre Dame.

Look, there is already a traditional rivalry with Big 10 and Pac 10 through the Rose Bowl. Notre Dame has the most traditional rivalries with a Big 10/Pac 10 super conference and may be enticed.

While the SEC + Texas and Oklahoma could boast some awesome traditional powers, they will not represent the country the way a Big 10/Pac 10 conference would. Spanning the entire nation would be a huge selling point. Coast to coast, traditionally the biggest names and markets. We may have to ditch some Big teams who don't put eyeballs to TVs and stay at 20 teams. More than 20 is not a conference.

Last edited:
Is anyone drooling to get the Kansas TV market? The OK TV market?
The only schools and markets I am “drooling” at are certain ACC schools (UVA, UNC, Duke, Boston College, Notre Dame, and Miami) and certain PAC 12 schools (USC, UCLA, Stanford, and Colorado), all of whom would compliment the Big Ten both academically and athletically. I want nothing to do with any of the remaining Big 12 schools.

I'll play and ignore the money and television aspects. A 20 school conference would likely be broken into five team pods for scheduling purposes, with teams inside a pod playing each other every year. Two more east teams would need to be added to give PSU a pod convenient for travel and the alumni base. Very hypothetically, let's say it's UVA and UNC. 70% of our alumni live in PA, NJ, MD, VA, or NC. All those states each have more alumni than any other state in the footprint. Heck, take PA out of the equation. 32% of out-of-state alumni live in either NJ, MD, VA, or NC. Only three other states not mentioned have more PSU alums than NC - NY, FL, and CA.

If PSU could land in a hypothetical pod with UMD, Rutgers, UVA, and UNC I'd be on cloud nine. I wouldn't care what happened elsewhere in the conference.

Last edited:
As I suggested in another thread, raid the pac12 and grab USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Stanford. Then pick up one more from Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma State, and Utah. Make an East and West divisions of 10 teams. East teams play East teams and the West play the West teams. Championship week the top teams from each division play for the Big 20 championship and the same week the #2 teams play each other and so on down each divisions. Travel for each team would be about the same as now except for the last game.

Reactions: Beachwineguy
I wouldn’t want to see a 20 team B1G. I actually would prefer, for starters, that Maryland and Rutgers get booted. Though I know that won’t happen.

If I were to play along though, add ND (even though I despise them), UVA, V Tech, NC State, UNC (who I despise) and whatever team ND insists on bringing along so ND joins. Then knock a few teams over to the other division.

Last edited:
Reactions: elfman
Add Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, Kansas

For the last spot let Virginia, Ga Tech, and Duke battle it out. Or just add all 3 and go to 22.

I wouldn’t want to see a 20 team B1G. I actually would prefer, for starters, that Maryland and Rutgers get booted. Though I know that won’t happen.

It's never going to get smaller. I always thought that if they added ND, Army, and Navy, that would make a pretty neat CFB conference. But, that will never happen either. Iowa State and Kansas will probably be in the Big Ten at the end of this scenario.

There are multiple articles last night and today detailing Oklahoma State’s very strong interest in joining the big 10. They may be the most realistic university from that part of the US to join the Big Ten.

There are multiple articles last night and today detailing Oklahoma State’s very strong interest in joining the big 10. They may be the most realistic university from that part of the US to join the Big Ten.

I'm sure they are interested, and they would be a strong addition. I'm not sure why they aren't going to the SEC with OU, actually.

I like the OPs premise. Unfortunately, the ACC is pretty much off limits for at least the next ten years. I’d suggest add a bunch from the PAC 12, and create four pods of five teams each.

East: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana
Central: Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois, Northwestern and Purdue
Plains: Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Kansas
West: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington and Colorado.

Play the four other teams in your pod (two home, two away), then two games from each other pod (one home, one away). Rotate teams each year so that you’ve played each team within the conference every three years.

If we wanted to stay at a nine conference game schedule, change it to playing 2 teams in pods A and B and one from pod C, rotating each year.

The only schools and markets I am “drooling” at are certain ACC schools (UVA, UNC, Duke, Boston College, Notre Dame, and Miami) and certain PAC 12 schools (USC, UCLA, Stanford, and Colorado), all of whom would compliment the Big Ten both academically and athletically. I want nothing to do with any of the remaining Big 12 schools.

Forget the academic considerations. And ND and BC, while great schools, do not complement Big Ten schools.

BC is a major revenue drag.

The B1G is in no hurry and will bide its time.

None of the remnants of the B12 would be of much interest, esp. Iowa St. (small market and already have that covered with Iowa; same reason why the B1G wasn't much interested in adding Pitt).

PAC schools are too far away - travel times/costs plus not as CFB crazed and time zone issues.

That means looking to the ACC (10 years is relatively short in the scheme of things,), and by that, making a big splash.

In this scenario, may expand to as many as 22 teams - taking 8 ACC schools (or ND).

So 2 divisions of 11 teams (so each team plays 10 division games and 1 with a team from the other division).

Atlantic
PSU, RU, UMD, UVA, UNC, Dook, Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami, ND

Heartland
dOSU, UM, MSU, IU, PU, NU, UI, UW, Minn, Iowa, Neb

This way, it's a pretty clean cut division-wise with the old B1G schools and Neb consisting of the Heartland and Paterno's dream of an east coast CFB conf (in this case, a division) realized.

The ACC schools may be inclined to make the jump knowing that they'll always be the 2nd banana to the SEC in ESPN's eyes.

Can see the SEC taking VT and NC ST as that opens up 2 more markets for them.

Now, will need Fox to be on board with ponying up some serious $$, which they likely will be prone to doing to protect their 51% stake in BTN and their investment in CFB via FS1.

FS1 won't have to spend much $$ for the broadcast rights to what's left of the B12 (if they're interested at all) and even the PAC will be hurting to see any increase in their broadcast rights.

With a region encompassing pretty much the entire Atlantic coast (the states that care about CFB) and the midwest, BTN would be able to print $$ going to an on-demand/streaming model.

Last edited:
The B1G is in no hurry and will bide its time.

None of the remnants of the B12 would be of much interest, esp. Iowa St. (small market and already have that covered with Iowa; same reason why the B1G wasn't much interested in adding Pitt).

PAC schools are too far away - travel times/costs plus not as CFB crazed and time zone issues.

That means looking to the ACC (10 years is relatively short in the scheme of things,), and by that, making a big splash.

In this scenario, may expand to as many as 22 teams - taking 8 ACC schools (or ND).

So 2 divisions of 11 teams (so each team plays 10 division games and 1 with a team from the other division).

Atlantic
PSU, RU, UMD, UVA, UNC, Dook, Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami, ND

Heartland

dOSU, UM, MSU, IU, PU, NU, UI, UW, Minn, Iowa, Neb

Can see the SEC taking VT and NC ST as that opens up 2 more markets for them.

The longer this goes on without an official announcement, the more likely that Texas and OU don't even make the move in the first place.

The longer this goes on without an official announcement, the more likely that Texas and OU don't even make the move in the first place.

Don't hold your breath. Doubt that ESPN and Fox come riding to the rescue this time.

I think it will just come down to whether Texas wants to do it or not. They hold all the cards on this one.

Who else would hold the cards? Not sure that OU gets an invite without Texas. And if OU gets cold feet, doubt that the SEC tells Texas to get lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT