ADVERTISEMENT

Sue Paterno (and the whole Paterno family) need a wake up call....

Mack_Daddy

Oct 7, 2001
Any Game of Thrones fans here?

Remember in season one (been a while since I saw it, btw) when the Kings right arm found out the queen had a lover. And, the Queen convinced the right arm not to tell the King by manipulating his own better angel against himself.

Then, the right arm was convinced a confession would save his family, although he was innocent.

In the end, the King was dead; the Queen went free. What happened to the kings right arm? OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Take the high moral ground, I'm certain the Paterno's have been told that by friends (and foes). And, it's been used against them. In fact, makes them appear weak and fragile. Taking the high moral ground has accomplished what, exactly?

Here's the thing, Joe Paterno is labeled a pedophile enabler. There isn't one piece of evidence to support that. In fact, Paterno's whole life indicates just the opposite.

There's zero reason to take the high moral ground anymore. The Paterno's should come out swinging - Sue, included. Fvck PSU, Freeh and the NCAA. Fvck them all.

High ground, low ground, or something in between, thanks to our BOT, nothing will change the public narrative about the roles of Penn State and Joe Paterno in the Sandusky Scandal. Throughout history, certain things are forever tied together. The Great Chicago Fire and Mrs. O'Leary's cow. The 1919 World Series and the Black Sox. Pickett's Charge and Gettysburg. Joe Paterno/Penn State and pedophile Jerry Sandusky. If Sue had a billion dollars and spent it all she could not change the public perception of Joe. That perception is unjust and unfair, but it is also unalterable.

So apparently the things about which you know very little is not limited to King George III and Thomas Jefferson

He's right on one thing ...

the strategy (which you were a strong advocate for) of suing the NCAA didn't really pay out. It was a waste of $$$ and time.

Last edited:
High ground, low ground, or something in between, thanks to our BOT, nothing will change the public narrative about the roles of Penn State and Joe Paterno in the Sandusky Scandal. Throughout history, certain things are forever tied together. The Great Chicago Fire and Mrs. O'Leary's cow. The 1919 World Series and the Black Sox. Pickett's Charge and Gettysburg. Joe Paterno/Penn State and pedophile Jerry Sandusky. If Sue had a billion dollars and spent it all she could not change the public perception of Joe. That perception is unjust and unfair, but it is also unalterable.
IF:

C and S and S were acquitted on all charges.

and

The "Paterno Plaintiffs" (which included much more than just JVP Estate, initially) had won defamation/disparagement suits against members of the BOT.

Would THAT have - just maybe :) - altered the "narrative" a bit?

As opposed to C and S and S heading off to prison...... and the "Paterno Suit" dying on the vine?|

Ya' think?

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy

the strategy (which you were a strong advocate for) of suing the NCAA didn't really pay out. It was a waste of $$$ and time.
Any lawsuit is a crapshoot. There is a maxim, "He who goes to law holds a wolf by the ear". It is easy to look back and be critical of the attempt, but at the time the lawsuit was filed, I favored the strategy.

the strategy (which you were a strong advocate for) of suing the NCAA didn't work. It was a total waste of $$$ and time.

a strong advocate for? I thought it had potential, but also felt it had some limitations.

the judge's ruling early in the lawsuit that all depositions must be kept sealed, kind of limited the impact the lawsuit could have, at least in the near term. It basically meant that the Paterno Family needed to win the lawsuit, and be allowed to disclose the information discovered, for it to reach its potential to the greater public. The NCAA fought the lawsuit pretty aggressively, and also floated a number of settlement offers to the family. Interestingly, the offers went a good way toward what the family was seeking, but in most cases would not have been all that helpful for the greater public. I give the family credit for rejecting the offers, and holding out for something of value to them and to the larger PSU community.

In the end, something that occurred independent of the lawsuit, combined with a ruling by the judge in the lawsuit, pretty much hamstrung the family's options. It's rather unfortunate, as they had made a great deal of progress in their depositions in exposing the sham that took place.

was it a waste of time? that remains to be seen. It didn't accomplish all that the family wanted, or what many PSU fans hoped for. It's too soon to evaluate whether or not it was a waste of time.

was it a waste of money? I generally refrain from telling other people how to spend their money. It wasn't my money that was spent on the lawsuit, or your money that was spent, so I don't think either of us can say with any certainty whether or not it was a waste of money

actually, neither what the OP posted, nor what you said in reply, show that the OP was right on anything

True dat. The outcome was already known even back then, most likely, which is why keeping everything under seal was so important.

IF:
C and S and S were acquitted on all charges.
and
The "Paterno Plaintiffs" (which included much more than just JVP Estate, initially) had won defamation/disparagement suits against members of the BOT.
Would THAT have - just maybe :) - altered the "narrative" a bit?
As opposed to C and S and S heading off to prison...... and the "Paterno Suit" dying on the vine?|
Ya' think?

Actually, no.
When individuals are accused, like C/S/S, are thought to be guilty, and are acquitted, the public believes their lawyers got them off.
As to winning a suit agains the members of the BOT, that was the longest of long shots and, even if successful, the general public would not care.
Looking back on the last 5+ years, I have concluded that once Joe was fired and then died, nothing was going to change the public perception. He is, perhaps, the only one that could have done it. Were he a younger man, and in good health, he could have been on talk shows, written a book, filed his own lawsuits and participated in the proceedings, etc. That may have made a difference.

Reactions: Option Bob
a strong advocate for? I thought it had potential, but also felt it had some limitations.

the judge's ruling early in the lawsuit that all depositions must be kept sealed, kind of limited the impact the lawsuit could have, at least in the near term. It basically meant that the Paterno Family needed to win the lawsuit, and be allowed to disclose the information discovered, for it to reach its potential to the greater public. The NCAA fought the lawsuit pretty aggressively, and also floated a number of settlement offers to the family. Interestingly, the offers went a good way toward what the family was seeking, but in most cases would not have been all that helpful for the greater public. I give the family credit for rejecting the offers, and holding out for something of value to them and to the larger PSU community.

In the end, something that occurred independent of the lawsuit, combined with a ruling by the judge in the lawsuit, pretty much hamstrung the family's options. It's rather unfortunate, as they had made a great deal of progress in their depositions in exposing the sham that took place.

was it a waste of time? that remains to be seen. It didn't accomplish all that the family wanted, or what many PSU fans hoped for. It's too soon to evaluate whether or not it was a waste of time.

was it a waste of money? I generally refrain from telling other people how to spend their money. It wasn't my money that was spent on the lawsuit, or your money that was spent, so I don't think either of us can say with any certainty whether or not it was a waste of money

actually, neither what the OP posted, nor what you said in reply, show that the OP was right on anything

Tom, make our weekend. Nuke him.

Actually, no.
When individuals are accused, like C/S/S, are thought to be guilty, and are acquitted, the public believes their lawyers got them off.
As to winning a suit agains the members of the BOT, that was the longest of long shots and, even if successful, the general public would not care.
Looking back on the last 5+ years, I have concluded that once Joe was fired and then died, nothing was going to change the public perception. He is, perhaps, the only one that could have done it. Were he a younger man, and in good health, he could have been on talk shows, written a book, filed his own lawsuits and participated in the proceedings, etc. That may have made a difference.
JVP's death certainly changed the landscape.....

But if you seriously think that:
"Three Acquittals" and a Civil Judgement for Defamation .....
Vs
"Three Convictions" and the abortion of a mis-directed lawsuit.....

Wouldn't have had a positive impact??

Seriously?

And you want to be my Latex Salesman?

:)

So apparently the things about which you know very little is not limited to King George III and Thomas Jefferson

Remind me, if my father is labeled a pedophile enabler never to hire you for PR.

Hmmm...which college or pro team would hire Jay Paterno? Prior to 2011, I'm certain there would've been a dozen or so. Now, how he would do as a HC or OC, elsewhere is questionable. But, employable? Absolutely. Now, he's finsished. Why? His father is a "labeled" a pedophile enabler.

Here's what I would say if I were Scott or Jay when confronted with those allegations regarding my dad. "We were all FOOLED by Jerry. He's convicted and guilty. As for calling my dad a pedophile enabler...FVCK YOU. Show me one shred of evidence supporting that accusation. Till then...FVCK YOU."

Honestly, I think people would respect him more. That's why I think the "high moral ground" approach backfired.

But, thanks for your input. I guess.

JVP's death certainly changed the landscape.....
But if you seriously think that:
"Three Acquittals" and a Civil Judgement for Defamation .....
Vs
"Three Convictions" and the abortion of a mis-directed lawsuit.....
Wouldn't have had a positive impact??
Seriously?
And you want to be my Latex Salesman?
:)
A positive impact? Sure. But that impact would not have changed the public perception in any meaningful way.
I will admit I could be wrong. It's not likely, but I allow for the possibility. :)

Remind me, if my father is labeled a pedophile enabler never to hire you for PR.

no need to remind you. I don't do PR work, and I would not work for you

Hmmm...which college or pro team would hire Jay Paterno? Prior to 2011, I'm certain there would've been a dozen or so. Now, how he would do as a HC or OC, elsewhere is questionable. But, employable? Absolutely. Now, he's finsished. Why? His father is a "labeled" a pedophile enabler.

I'll be polite and say that you are divorced from reality

Here's what I would say if I were Scott or Jay when confronted with those allegations regarding my dad. "We were all FOOLED by Jerry. He's convicted and guilty. As for calling my dad a pedophile enabler...FVCK YOU. Show me one shred of evidence supporting that accusation. Till then...FVCK YOU."

Oh, I'm sure it might feel good for a minute or two if they said those things, but it wouldn't win anything. Jay takes the high road, and pretty much wins all the battles in which he engages on this issue. I can't speak with much knowledge as to how Scott handles things. He's on twitter a lot, but I'm rarely on that medium. Half of what you advocate is good, and is in fact what Jay does. The second half of what you advocate is foolish. When you have to resort to cursing that shows you have a gutter mouth, and more importantly, it usually indicates that your argument is weak.

Honestly, I think people would respect him more. That's why I think the "high moral ground" approach backfired.

Well then, honestly, I think you're seriously mistaken.

Oh, I'm sure it might feel good for a minute or two if they said those things, but it wouldn't win anything. Jay takes the high road, and pretty much wins all the battles in which he engages on this issue. I can't speak with much knowledge as to how Scott handles things. He's on twitter a lot, but I'm rarely on that medium. Half of what you advocate is good, and is in fact what Jay does. The second half of what you advocate is foolish. When you have to resort to cursing, that either shows you have a gutter mouth, and more importantly, it usually indicates that your argument is weak.

"pretty much wins all the battles" ..... can you list the battles that Jay has won?

I can list one battle he lost (by TKO). His lawsuit against Penn State got thrown out of court.

"pretty much wins all the battles" ..... can you list the battles that Jay has won?

I can list one battle he lost (by TKO). His lawsuit against Penn State got thrown out of court.

that's just embarrassing. how Jay deals with individuals is not even remotely comparable with how the Paterno Family handled their lawsuit.

I'm done responding to you in this thread.

that's just embarrassing. how Jay deals with individuals is not even remotely comparable with how the Paterno Family handled their lawsuit.

I'm done responding to you in this thread.

Fair enough. No answer to a straightforward question.

Remember in season one (been a while since I saw it, btw) when the Kings right arm found out the queen had a lover. And, the Queen convinced the right arm not to tell the King by manipulating his own better angel against himself.

Then, the right arm was convinced a confession would save his family, although he was innocent.

In the end, the King was dead; the Queen went free. What happened to the kings right arm? OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Take the high moral ground, I'm certain the Paterno's have been told that by friends (and foes). And, it's been used against them. In fact, makes them appear weak and fragile. Taking the high moral ground has accomplished what, exactly?

Here's the thing, Joe Paterno is labeled a pedophile enabler. There isn't one piece of evidence to support that. In fact, Paterno's whole life indicates just the opposite.

There's zero reason to take the high moral ground anymore. The Paterno's should come out swinging - Sue, included. Fvck PSU, Freeh and the NCAA. Fvck them all.

You mean Hand of the King. Hey - I'm on board. Let's hope Jay is inspired by Arya and gets to work on his list...

no need to remind you. I don't do PR work, and I would not work for you

I'll be polite and say that you are divorced from reality

Oh, I'm sure it might feel good for a minute or two if they said those things, but it wouldn't win anything. Jay takes the high road, and pretty much wins all the battles in which he engages on this issue. I can't speak with much knowledge as to how Scott handles things. He's on twitter a lot, but I'm rarely on that medium. Half of what you advocate is good, and is in fact what Jay does. The second half of what you advocate is foolish. When you have to resort to cursing that shows you have a gutter mouth, and more importantly, it usually indicates that your argument is weak.

Well then, honestly, I think you're seriously mistaken.

You, obviously, don't have the majority of the nation thinking your dad was a pedophile enabler. There's only a few things lower than that: Serial killer; Rapist; Child Molester; and, murderer.

And, my use of the word "FVCK" shows I have a gutter mouth, my argument is weak and it's usage makes me look foolish. Hmmm...

GJP says Joepa was told Jerry was anally raping a young child; Joepa was vilified in the Freeh Report; the PSU BOT turned their collective backs on Joe; Bocabella says Joe could've made "the" call; NCAA declares total victory. Yet, you take exception with my (ahem) colorful metaphors. Interesting.

What pisses you off, exactly? What would it take for you to beat the sh1t out of someone?

Civility is over rated. And, it's being used AGAINST the Paterno family. They just don't realize it.

But, thanks for your input. I guess.

I blame Jay's resume and the Spread HD offense.

Reactions: boddyebsen
Any lawsuit is a crapshoot. There is a maxim, "He who goes to law holds a wolf by the ear". It is easy to look back and be critical of the attempt, but at the time the lawsuit was filed, I favored the strategy.

Well I guess this is especially true when the judicial and justice system is every bit as corrupt and debased by self-serving political corruption as the PA Govt and the identical political corruption which was a cancer to PSU and its BOT - especially the all-powerful "Executive Committee of the PSU BOT. Our govt and judicial / justice system is run by utter scumbags and whores - lawyers turned politicians and supposed "public servants" that are nothing more than debauched, self-serving, self-dealing, scumbag, integeity-less moral-hypocrites. The justice system is no different than a computer program...."$hit in will render $hit out". Our Founding Fathers realized this as well - that it all ultimately comes down to people; and more importantly, the true "values and principles" these people hold, which is why the Founding Documents talk about "inalienable rights" and "fundamental beliefs" -- items that the Founding Fathers clearly felt were "absolute" and intrinsic to the universe, not subjective and specifically subject to the whims of the corrupt and indecent. The Founding Fathers very much believed that the universe has an intrinsic, absolute moral code that this Country's Governance and Justice System is fundamentally based upon, but our "modern society" - especially lawyers - have managed to destroy these fundamental foundation beliefs & values and turn our Great Republic into "Modern Rome".

Reactions: boddyebsen

People just need to accept nothing going to change. There is no magic smoking gun that going to change reality. All the court cases and you fools thought some truth would come out and make it all better. Sandusky was convicted, thre imcopetent administrators were convicted or press guilty. The lawsuit from the family has been dropped. The Paternos realized it so why can't everyone else? All we have is people screaming like two years olds that everyone is corrupt except those that been convicted to going to jail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT