ADVERTISEMENT

Stewart Mandel says we'd have made the playoffs in 5 of the last 7 years

And and as others have mentioned, we'd also be going on the road against a top 5 team for the 1st round....how's that proven to work out for us?
well, it works out that you are a playoff team.

from a brand exposure, revenue and recruiting perspective, that's pretty valuable.

Reactions: step.eng69
And and as others have mentioned, we'd also be going on the road against a top 5 team for the 1st round....how's that proven to work out for us?
Not true. Top four have a bye.

And several years we were at our best at the end of the season. So rated 6-9 we have home games in 1st round.

This is good if the past is an indicator of the future.

Last edited:
well, it works out that you are a playoff team.

from a brand exposure, revenue and recruiting perspective, that's pretty valuable.
Sure. Its just a pointless hypothetical and I can see it now with our social media team "penn state would have made the playoffs in 5 of the last 7 years...roar!" How many playoffs would we have made if it was expanded to 24 teams, or 48? Basically penn state has fairly consistently been a top 12-7 team since Franklin has been around. Some like it, some don't, but its hardly revelatory.

Sure. Its just a pointless hypothetical and I can see it now with our social media team "penn state would have made the playoffs in 5 of the last 7 years...roar!" How many playoffs would we have made if it was expanded to 24 teams, or 48? Basically penn state has fairly consistently been a top 12-7 team since Franklin has been around. Some like it, some don't, but its hardly revelatory.
No it’s not pointless. We are not going to 24 or 48 but are certainly doing 12. So if we are consistently rated 6-10 in most years….means most years we get in. Plus, many years we get a home playoff game.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU2UNC
Know it’s not pointless. We are not going to 24 or 48 but are certainly doing 12. So if we are consistently rated 6-10 in most years….means most years we get in. Plus, many years we get a home playoff game.
Yeah. Tell the Diamondbacks it was pointless or TCU. It is certainly more pointed than a meaningless game in the Rose Bowl against Utah or the Fiesta Bowl against Washington.

No it’s not pointless. We are not going to 24 or 48 but are certainly doing 12. So if we are consistently rated 6-10 in most years….means most years we get in. Plus, many years we get a home playoff game.
Im not saying going to 12 is pointless, and yes, it WOULD have benefited Penn State greatly had it been in place for the last 7 years. I understand exposure, recruiting, revenue.....all the externalities associated with getting into a game of this magnitude, a playoff game. What I am arguing as pointless, is the talk about how we WOULD have been in a playoff had a system, not yet conceived, had been in place formally. Maybe we would have made 5 of the last 7 years, other teams can claim 3 or 4 of the last seven years. All it proves is an abject fact....Penn State has been close, a top ten, but not top 4, type of team over the last 7 years. Again, we knew that.

Im not saying going to 12 is pointless, and yes, it WOULD have benefited Penn State greatly had it been in place for the last 7 years. I understand exposure, recruiting, revenue.....all the externalities associated with getting into a game of this magnitude, a playoff game. What I am arguing as pointless, is the talk about how we WOULD have been in a playoff had a system, not yet conceived, had been in place formally. Maybe we would have made 5 of the last 7 years, other teams can claim 3 or 4 of the last seven years. All it proves is an abject fact....Penn State has been close, a top ten, but not top 4, type of team over the last 7 years. Again, we knew that.
Last I checked in the last 7 years our record vs Ohio State and Michigan is a sterling 4-11. Hence the reason we have to create the hypothetical IF there was a 12 team playoff the last 7 years.

Last I checked in the last 7 years our record vs Ohio State and Michigan is a sterling 4-11. Hence the reason we have to create the hypothetical IF there was a 12 team playoff the last 7 years.

Precisley.

Nice to know but really not meaningful going forward. The sledding for PSU gets considerably more challenging next year. We are no longer a clear #3 in the Big Ten we now need to also contend with USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington. The later two are #5 and #6 in the first CFP Playoff ranking. While we might have made it more often than not with the Big Ten schedule we have been playing I now see the ceiling record dropping from 10-2 to 8-4. Look at our schedule next year.... we go 10-2 or better against that slate we should be top 5 but I just don't see that happening.

Nice to know but really not meaningful going forward. The sledding for PSU gets considerably more challenging next year. We are no longer a clear #3 in the Big Ten we now need to also contend with USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington. The later two are #5 and #6 in the first CFP Playoff ranking. While we might have made it more often than not with the Big Ten schedule we have been playing I now see the ceiling record dropping from 10-2 to 8-4. Look at our schedule next year.... we go 10-2 or better against that slate we should be top 5 but I just don't see that happening.
Hmmm... Of course you don't. However, we don't play them all and they all play a tough schedules, too. Time will tell. Over time we have fared well over the left coast but I know times change. However, the one thing we do that the newbies don't do much is field a defense. Again, we shall see.

A 12-team playoff really won’t change anything for me. It’s just going to create a facade that we’re actually competing. We’ll get in, sure, and maybe beat the likes of an Ole Miss or Tulane or Washington, only to shit the bed when James has to face an elite program.

I do look forward to an extra game or two with true “meaning” but this OSU lost cut my last thread of hope that we were going to get over the hump.

12 team playoff is better than 4, but does anyone here truly think it gives us any better of a shot at winning a Natty with CJF? Or even a BIG for that matter.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with your entire post but your point goes both ways. Washington and Oregon wouldn’t be ranked where they are currently if you throw PSU, OSU, and Michigan on their schedule this year.

I actually think the “sledding” gets much harder for PAC schools when they bring those soft flimsy offenses to the Midwest and East in October and November.

PAC schools will need to adjust how they recruit in the trenches if they want any shot at regularly competing in the BIG. Look at our last two PAC opponents in bowl games - all we heard about were the vaunted Washington and Utah defenses and we shoved the ball down their throats to a tune of 35 ppg.

A 12-team playoff really won’t change anything for me. It’s just going to create a facade that we’re actually competing. We’ll get in, sure, and maybe beat the likes of an Ole Miss or Tulane or Washington, only to shit the bed when James has to face an elite program.

I do look forward to an extra game or two with true “meaning” but this OSU lost cut my last thread of hope that we were going to get over the hump.

12 team playoff is better than 4, but does anyone here truly think it gives us any better of a shot at winning a Natty with CJF? Or even a BIG for that matter.
You are correct if the past is any predictor of the future then we won't sniff a NC even if we are in the expanded 12 team playoff. It will be like March Madness where a team can get to the Sweet 16 but never breakthrough to the Final Four.

I agree that Franklin has shown no ability to knock off an elite team and until he can demonstrate that one of his teams can do it then it doesn't matter if the playoff is 4 or 12.

Holding out hope that Franklin can pull off the upset on 11/11 but that is my heart not my head.

Means nothing now. Looking at nexts year’s schedule a 10-2 record is the absolute ceiling. Expect 2-3 losses in that tough 5 game stretch sandwiched around a bye. Open with 4 wins then UCLA, @ USC, bye, @ Wisky, O$U, and Washington. Finish with 3 wins. More likely 9-3. Fortunately they’ll have a returning QB.

Means nothing now. Looking at nexts year’s schedule a 10-2 record is the absolute ceiling. Expect 2-3 losses in that tough 5 game stretch sandwiched around a bye. Open with 4 wins then UCLA, @ USC, bye, @ Wisky, O$U, and Washington. Finish with 3 wins. More likely 9-3. Fortunately they’ll have a returning QB.
10-2 isn't the ceiling. USC and Washington are losing their star QBs. UCLA isn't great. 11-1 is probably the ceiling since we can't beat Ohio State but less than 10-2 isn't acceptable with Allar as a junior.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT