State of our schools

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I just read a statement from our local school board about their commitment to diversity and equity. It was signed at the bottom by each board member, followed by their preferred pronouns. It made me want to gag.

Of course I want all people to be treated fairly. But I don't even know what a diversity goal is. The racial makeup of the student body reflects the makeup of our neighborhood. Should we kick out some white families? Should the school teach more kids how to be gay or transgender?

The pronoun thing was a stunt. Why was that necessary? And the irony is that the board is all white and all of their preferred pronouns are consistent with their biological sex. If anybody isn't diverse it's the board.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
I just read a statement from our local school board about their commitment to diversity and equity. It was signed at the bottom by each board member, followed by their preferred pronouns. It made me want to gag.

Of course I want all people to be treated fairly. But I don't even know what a diversity goal is. The racial makeup of the student body reflects the makeup of our neighborhood. Should we kick out some white families? Should the school teach more kids how to be gay or transgender?

The pronoun thing was a stunt. Why was that necessary? And the irony is that the board is all white and all of their preferred pronouns are consistent with their biological sex. If anybody isn't diverse it's the board.
Ok Boomer.

Wake up, this isn't a just school thing. My company starts each meeting with a diversity message. It's nice to see some coworkers who I never knew were gay, feel comfortable about sharing that information with the group. My son is in high school and he tells me that many kids are now comfortable being openly gay or bi. I went to school in the 80's and nobody would dare admit they were gay or they would be endlessly bullied.

franklinman

Apr 5, 2011
Pa and Fl
Ok Boomer.

Wake up, this isn't a just school thing. My company starts each meeting with a diversity message. It's nice to see some coworkers who I never knew were gay, feel comfortable about sharing that information with the group. My son is in high school and he tells me that many kids are now comfortable being openly gay or bi. I went to school in the 80's and nobody would dare admit they were gay or they would be endlessly bullied.
Well i went to school in the 50s and the only gay i knew owned the local Variety Store. Um, Variety store, older man ,gay.

BoulderFish

Oct 31, 2016
Ok Boomer.

That's a cool story, but what does it have to do with the question/concern bdgan raised in his post?

LioninHouston

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2005
Ok Boomer.

How exciting.

Reactions: m.knox

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Ok Boomer.

What a waste of time!

When I went through diversity training the instructor asked why I seemed uncomfortable. I told her that I played on several sports teams and we always focused on our common goal which was to win. We respected each other and focused on that goal. We had different races and possibly different sexual preferences but that wasn't important. It was the red team against the blue team. I told her I thought that management / employees should also focus on our common goals but this was the third straight day of training and we never talked about that. The whole thing was focus on us understanding that we were all different. IMO that was counterproductive.

LioninHouston

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2005
What a waste of time!

When I went through diversity training the instructor asked why I seemed uncomfortable. I told her that I played on several sports teams and we always focused on our common goal which was to win. We respected each other and focused on that goal. We had different races and possibly different sexual preferences but that wasn't important. It was the red team against the blue team. I told her I thought that management / employees should also focus on our common goals but this was the third straight day of training and we never talked about that. The whole thing was focus on us understanding that we were all different. IMO that was counterproductive.
So true. Don’t forget though, that the primary goal of “diversity” training is to punish white, straight males. It is done to create guilt.

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
So true. Don’t forget though, that the primary goal of “diversity” training is to punish white, straight males. It is done to create guilt.

And for nothing that they did, which is why such policies will create backlash.

The Left just doesn't get it. Simply enforce anti-discrimination laws already on the books and we are good to go. Companies should have ethics policies (mine did) that encompass the issue of discrimination. Violate policy and you are gone.

Same goes for immigration. Enforce. It's the lack of enforcement that creates the problems.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003

All while they reduce testing, relax grading, and allow kids to believe 2+2 is 5. It's gone from education to indoctrination.

Reactions: Jerry and Ski

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
All while they reduce testing, relax grading, and allow kids to believe 2+2 is 5. It's gone from education to indoctrination.

LOL... How timely a comment.

MERIT VS. WOKENESS: UNIVERSITIES MUST CHOOSE.​

https://humanevents.com/2021/12/02/merit-vs-wokeness-universities-must-choose/

We graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology 50 years ago. Though it was a tough place academically, MIT taught us our crafts and the essence of problem-solving and enabled us to thrive in our chosen careers. We owe much to ”the ‘tute,” as it is fondly known, and have demonstrated that financially over the years.

But no more.

Today, the 160 year-old-institution, once a bedrock of science and innovation, has caved to the demands of “wokeness.” In autumn of 2020, MIT sent an email to students, including those already registered and attending, informing them that if they failed to undergo instruction in “diversity, equity, and inclusion,” and “sexual assault prevention ongoing: healthy relationships,” they would be unable to register for spring classes. “You will have a registration hold placed on your account and will be unable to register for [Independent Activities Period] and/or spring 2021 classes if you do not complete both trainings by the November 2nd deadline,” the email read.

Portions of the actual training materials are available here. The training turns out to be what you would expect: a bunch of compulsory videos that cannot be fast-forwarded, containing deftly-worded but fatuous questions that let you know (without coming right out and saying it) that straight white males are the “intersection” of all oppressive behaviors. Everyone else is an oppressed victim of some sort, with extra victimization points for being a member of multiple minorities. (Fortunately, the passing score is zero, so most students will be allowed to resume their studies.)

This new policy is just one instance of a dangerous trend: MIT’s administration is acting in ways that we consider unfair, hypocritical, and harmful to the university, its student body, and academic freedom generally.

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
What a waste of time!

And what was her response?

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
This is what corporate D&I is. Brag to the world why you're not a straight white male.
The problem with almost all organizational "DEI" programming is that it's developed and presented by DEI consultants, who as a rule are neither the sharpest knives in the toolbox nor in any way accountable for the effectiveness of what they present. As a result, it is almost invariably a vapid harangue, and therefore almost invariably ineffective.

By contrast, the most effective DEI training that I have participated in has involved my work colleagues simply sharing their stories, whether they entailed racial, sexual, sexual orientation, medical or other barriers to them becoming the best work colleague they can be (or, how small individual personal gestures enabled them overcome barriers to become the best work colleague they could be). Because they are concrete, personal, from a credible source, and relevant to the organization, rather than something out of an unoriginal DEI cookbook.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjw165

bdgan

May 29, 2008
The problem with almost all organizational "DEI" programming is that it's developed and presented by DEI consultants, who as a rule are neither the sharpest knives in the toolbox nor in any way accountable for the effectiveness of what they present. As a result, it is almost invariably a vapid harangue, and therefore almost invariably ineffective.

By contrast, the most effective DEI training that I have participated in has involved my work colleagues simply sharing their stories, whether they entailed racial, sexual, sexual orientation, medical or other barriers to them becoming the best work colleague they can be (or, how small individual personal gestures enabled them overcome barriers to become the best work colleague they could be). Because they are concrete, personal, and relevant to the organization, rather than something out of an unoriginal DEI cookbook.
DEI consultants don't know anything about your business and what it takes to become more successful. They just think if you listen to their presentation rainbows and unicorns will take care of the rest.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
What a waste of time!

I think those LGBTQ students who can now openly live their lives without harassment would disagree that stressing diversity is a waste of time. They have clearly benefited from this new change in culture even if it bothers an old white Boomer.

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
DEI consultants don't know anything about your business and what it takes to become more successful. They just think if you listen to their presentation rainbows and unicorns will take care of the rest.
the only thing that gets taken care of is checking the box.

Classic story re: business compliance/ethics training. Mrs. Aardvark, RN decided to sign up with CVS to do covid injections early on in the pandemic. Good for everyone right? Well, naturally, with CVS being ginormous, everyone, including part timers and independent contractors has to go through compliance training, right? So she shows up the first day for training, and the training guy isn't there. No problem. She can take it remotely. Ah, but there is no unique training curriculum for nurses doing Covid injections!!!! Well, use the next best thing! So Mrs. Aarvark sat through approximately 5 days of pharmacist compliance training, which focused extensively on the proper billing codes for continuous glucose monitoring devices under Medicare. But dammit, they got their box checked.

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
I think those LGBTQ students who can now openly live their lives without harassment would disagree that stressing diversity is a waste of time. They have clearly benefited from this new change in culture even if it bothers an old white Boomer.

Yeah, corporate DEI endeavors have just made worlds of difference in the LGBTQ community. Clearly you don't work in the corporate environment

Reactions: Sullivan and Ski

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Yeah, corporate DEI endeavors have just made worlds of difference in the LGBTQ community. Clearly you don't work in the corporate environment
I already stated my company starts each meeting with a message about diversity. I’ve worked for a mega Corp for over a decade.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
LOL... Typical liberal.

Turn our education system upside down to accommodate 5.6% of the nation that is LGBTQ. Or is it more like you turn the education system upside down to accommodate your FEELINGS?

Liberal mantra - the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many.

"Change in culture"... lmfao... You actually believe yourself.....

PSUEngineer89

Aug 14, 2021

Why would you ever vote for those idiots again for school board?

Replace them with Americans.

Not a bunch of sickos worried about pronouns.

Reactions: Jerry

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I think schools should focus on teaching things like math and science instead of convincing young boys they might really be girls.

FWIW I never felt compelled to discuss my heterosexuality in school. It never came up during history class.

Monlion

Jul 9, 2001
They could do that when I went to Penn State more than 45 years ago, they could do that at the company I retired from two years ago and they can do that in my extended family. This was all done with people just acting like decent human beings and without DEI training. If anything the DEI training is going to be counter productive, creating anger and resentment.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
They could do that when I went to Penn State more than 45 years ago, they could do that at the company I retired from two years ago and they can do that in my extended family. This was all done with people just acting like decent human beings and without DEI training. If anything the DEI training is going to be counter productive, creating anger and resentment.
They most certainly couldn’t do that in my high school in the late 80’s. There wasn’t a single out gay student in my entire high school.

tIUguy2

May 25, 2016
They most certainly couldn’t do that in my high school in the late 80’s. There wasn’t a single out gay student in my entire high school.
At the current 5.6% (assuming over time that the number was static) it is entirely possible that your high school didn’t have any gay students in attendance.

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018
I already stated my company starts each meeting with a message about diversity. I’ve worked for a mega Corp for over a decade.
Why don't you favor us with some of the more useful and intelligent diversity messages you have received at work. How has diversity policy positively affected your company in specific ways.

I would mention that there are many examples of spectacular successes of non-diverse organizations and countries. For example, the transistor and computer chips were initially the product of mostly American white men, such as Shockley & Bardeen as well as the people behind Intel. Same with products developed by Steve Jobs, including the Iphone.

Going way back, Florence Italy was not diverse but produced spectacular successes, such as Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Gallileo, & Brunneschelli (sp) South Korea is a very successful country and has very little diversity. All I have seen are cliches about diversity being productive -- not real studies.

On the other side of the ledger we have diversity hires, like Kamala Harris who are completely incompetent and have nothing to offer.

Want to make clear that all work should be merit based without favoritism to one race or ethnic group and that the US, pre-wokeness has had a good record of success [not perfect of course] in providing opportunities for non-white, non-Europeans such as the Chinese and Indians.

Last edited:

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018
Still waiting for you to favor us with some of the more brilliant and useful diversity messages that you have received. You've stated that you get them every day. Very useful messages should be right at the tip of your tongue.

Reactions: Sullivan

Steve G

May 29, 2001

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Still waiting for you to favor us with some of the more brilliant and useful diversity messages that you have received. You've stated that you get them every day. Very useful messages should be right at the tip of your tongue.
You still don’t get it. I already stated that these messages created an environment where several co workers felt comfortable enough to disclose to the team that they were gay. It’s about them, not me.

Sullivan

Nov 24, 2001

The Scandalous Hidden Meaning Behind McDonald's Golden Arches | Reader's  Digest

Jerry

May 29, 2001

Most of these school boards are just mindless pawns in a much larger game extending far beyond the institution of public education.

That game is to first normalize disordered behavior...then celebrate it...then coerce others to join the celebration...which entails marginalizing age-old standards of morality and those who hold to them.

That's what all this is about: a program implemented under the umbrella of catchwords like "diversity," which are accepted at face value by masses of idiots like those on your school board.

HartfordLlion

Sep 28, 2001
You still don’t get it. I already stated that these messages created an environment where several co workers felt comfortable enough to disclose to the team that they were gay. It’s about them, not me.

You sure??? From what I can tell you are 50s white male with no woman in your life. If that doesn't scream gay I don't know what does.

• Haha
Reactions: Gnat91

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
You sure??? From what I can tell you are 50s white male with no woman in your life. If that doesn't scream gay I don't know what does.
Come on I thought everyone here knew about my wife’s 6 figure government salary. ;)

PSUEngineer89

Aug 14, 2021
Why don't you favor us with some of the more useful and intelligent diversity messages you have received at work. How has diversity policy positively affected your company in specific ways.

I would mention that there are many examples of spectacular successes of non-diverse organizations and countries. For example, the transistor and computer chips were initially the product of mostly American white men, such as Shockley & Bardeen as well as the people behind Intel. Same with products developed by Steve Jobs, including the Iphone.

Going way back, Florence Italy was not diverse but produced spectacular successes, such as Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Gallileo, & Brunneschelli (sp) South Korea is a very successful country and has very little diversity. All I have seen are cliches about diversity being productive -- not real studies.

On the other side of the ledger we have diversity hires, like Kamala Harris who are completely incompetent and have nothing to offer.

Want to make clear that all work should be merit based without favoritism to one race or ethnic group and that the US, pre-wokeness has had a good record of success [not perfect of course] in providing opportunities for non-white, non-Europeans such as the Chinese and Indians.
You mean smart, hard-working people are rewarded.

Dont tell the worksite that Indians are the highest earning group in the USA.