ADVERTISEMENT

Starting D tackle spot beside Dvon Ellies

cyrizzle

Jan 10, 2010
I think it will be very interesting to see who gets the other starting D tackle spot beside Dvon Ellies. I would imagine it’s a very intense three horse race between Hakeem Beamon, Zane Durant, and Coziah Izzard. All three have shown plenty of flashes throughout their careers, and this position could be a huge factor in terms of the defenses success.

I think it will be very interesting to see who gets the other starting D tackle spot beside Dvon Ellies. I would imagine it’s a very intense three horse race between Hakeem Beamon, Zane Durant, and Coziah Izzard. All three have shown plenty of flashes throughout their careers, and this position could be a huge factor in terms of the defenses success.
Not sure the other starter matters. I think the proper situational rotations at DT will be more important. Also ensure everyone is fresh for the 4th quarter, especially against the power teams (Iowa, Illinois, Michigan).

Really hoping either Izzard or Durant takes a big step forward this season. That would be the icing on the cake for this impressive defense.

Reactions: RickinDayton
DT will be critical against particularly Michigan, who pound the ball north to south. Last year we could not stop them with off-tackle plays. Need stay at home size and strength.

I don't believe it's a 3 player race for the 2nd DT starting spot. Rather a 5 player race for the 2 starting DT spots between Ellies, Izzard, Beamon, Durant and vand den Berg.

Ellies is the most experienced, along with Beamon who seems to have finally settled into a reasonable weight for a DT.
Izzard was the most disruptive DT the 2nd half of 2022 after his mistery absence.
Durant has put on muscle and been complimented for his play.
And van den Berg was the talk of winter workouts and getting lots of compliments from the staff this fall.

As mentioned above the PSU defense will need all 5 of those DT's to play well and play within Diaz' system, and also for Townley and Artis to improve and be ready to play some minutes when any of the top 5 get dinged.

Might be Van Den Berg. Just saying, dude was unblockable at the scrimmage and I think he's "that guy" that could make the difference when Michigan tries to come up here and play that same bully ball game they played last year.

For all the Penn State Defensive Linemen, all things come down to Ohio State and Michigan.

That will be the real test.

In the meantime, all we can do is hope for the best.

For all the Penn State Defensive Linemen, all things come down to Ohio State and Michigan.

That will be the real test.

In the meantime, all we can do is hope for the best.
I'm looking at the new tackles at Mich and seeing a slight downgrade from last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT