ADVERTISEMENT

Staff experimenting with o-line changes

I believe CJF said he was experimenting with McGovern at OT. Nice to build his position flexibility but does this say something about his chances of winning the starting or backup Center job and his chances of playing or redshirting in 2016??????????

I believe CJF said he was experimenting with McGovern at OT. Nice to build his position flexibility but does this say something about his chances of winning the starting or backup Center job and his chances of playing or redshirting in 2016??????????
No inside info, but I'd think the coaches are serious about possibly playing him this year if he's getting this kind of look. In CJF terminology, sounds like a "yellow light" at least and maybe better?

No inside info, but I'd think the coaches are serious about possibly playing him this year if he's getting this kind of look. In CJF terminology, sounds like a "yellow light" at least and maybe better?

Really? I was thinking that to play this year he would have to win at least a backup job at a particular position. But yes, it seems like CJF is giving him every chance to excel and catch his eye at any of the OL positions.... Maybe he has a chance to be a backup at a non-Center position and the co-backup Center and play this year. Will be an interesting Fall camp leading up to when CJF reports the true freshmen "Greens", "Yellows", and "Reds"......

Did not see any official changes. Same starting unit from what I read. "Experimental"....

Sounds to me like all he did was flip flop Nelson to LT and Palmer to RT.

I will say, that I think Bates has won that job now, although none of them will actually say it until about an hour before kickoff against Kent State. We basically have one upgrade, and the same deal at the other guard and center, with Palmer and Nelson flip flopped.

Not what I thought would be ideal, but a start, at least.

I will say, that I think Bates has won that job now, although none of them will actually say it until about an hour before kickoff against Kent State. We basically have one upgrade, and the same deal at the other guard and center, with Palmer and Nelson flip flopped.

Not what I thought would be ideal, but a start, at least.

Miles gives his tacit approval to the change. Oh goodie!!

Reactions: Ski and Phil's Rug
Info seems to support a long look at McGovern playing.

Consider that if they chose to not redshirt him, they may want every chance for him to get playing time.

A good way to optimize his chances of getting on the field would be to get him as familiar as possible with one or two other positions. That way, if he doesn't start, he may be able to fill in at a couple spots, if he shows he is up to it.

Just a possible reason for why he may be getting looks at more than one position. Your mileage may vary.,,

"I'm not stopping until I find the absolute bottom of stupid!!"

NEVER change "21"! You are a treasure!

And you are a psycho. Following every single post I make with typed out put downs.

Takes probably about five minutes of your day, every day, and I don't even have to work at it.

Info seems to support a long look at McGovern playing.

Consider that if they chose to not redshirt him, they may want every chance for him to get playing time.

A good way to optimize his chances of getting on the field would be to get him as familiar as possible with one or two other positions. That way, if he doesn't start, he may be able to fill in at a couple spots, if he shows he is up to it.

Just a possible reason for why he may be getting looks at more than one position. Your mileage may vary.,,

That's one way of looking at it. On the other hand, they continue to talk about a "two deep", yet everyone is rotating, and when one gets hurt, it will be fill in, and slide around, as usual. You aren't going to stand here and tell me if Palmer gets hurt they are going with Jenkins, or if Nelson gets hurt, in comes Beh...they are LISTED as twos but we all know they are not coming in: It will be insert Mahon, then slide everyone around.

And you are a psycho. Following every single post I make with typed out put downs.

Takes probably about five minutes of your day, every day, and I don't even have to work at it.
Put Downs!!??

I love ya' man!!! You are all ours!! I must be your biggest fan!!

NEVER change!

That's one way of looking at it. On the other hand, they continue to talk about a "two deep", yet everyone is rotating, and when one gets hurt, it will be fill in, and slide around, as usual. You aren't going to stand here and tell me if Palmer gets hurt they are going with Jenkins, or if Nelson gets hurt, in comes Beh...they are LISTED as twos but we all know they are not coming in: It will be insert Mahon, then slide everyone around.

Perhaps so. Iirc, Penn State coaches have often liked the idea of putting in their best available OL player, if a starter has to come out.

Franklin also seems to like getting young studs playing time if possible. That may be part of a recruiting strategy too, where good players may want chances to play early as Frosh. It may help to attract more top talent, if recruits see our coaches supporting options for early playing time at PSU.

Glad the coaches are looking at expanding their options, if a young player earns a spot.

Reactions: Ski
Put Downs!!??

I love ya' man!!! You are all ours!! I must be your biggest fan!!

NEVER change!

And just think, it's all because you are so offended at the notion that the O line is not being handled correctly. Which is even more comical, since we have had the worst one in the nation for two years in a row. Regardless of sanctions, better coaching decisions could have been made.

Ryan Bates comes in and wins the job in 3 days in the spring, why in the world wasn't he playing on that line last year, and making a block or two to beat Northwestern?

Hey, it didn't matter because it wasn't like we needed two yards or anything.

Perhaps so. Iirc, Penn State coaches have often liked the idea of putting in their best available OL player, if a starter has to come out.

Franklin also seems to like getting young studs playing time if possible. That may be part of a recruiting strategy too, where good players may want chances to play early as Frosh. It may help to attract more top talent, if recruits see our coaches supporting options for early playing time at PSU.

Glad the coaches are looking at expanding their options, if a young player earns a spot.

I'd like to think that if my second team tackle earned a spot, then he would be called on if an injury occurred. This is "two deep".

If this isn't our philosophy, then fine, but I keep hearing the words "two deep" and then that is followed by a description of how that means we can sub in, by position, instead of slide in and move around.

Can't have it both ways, which is it for us? If I have Sterling Jenkins as my 2 left tackle, and Andrew Nelson, my 1 left tackle gets hurt, then in goes Sterling Jenkins, if I have a TRUE two deep.

Actually real coaches put the best players on the field. Just because someone is listed as second team on the depth chart, does not mean they are in reality the "next man up." Since we are talking about 5 interior lineman, if putting the third best guard in the lineup, and moving a starting guard to center accomplishes putting the best five on the field........that is what coaches do and have done since Rockne.

Actually real coaches put the best players on the field. Just because someone is listed as second team on the depth chart, does not mean they are in reality the "next man up." Since we are talking about 5 interior lineman, if putting the third best guard in the lineup, and moving a starting guard to center accomplishes putting the best five on the field........that is what coaches do and have done since Rockne.

Na. If Ohio State's left tackle gets hurt, Ohio State's backup left tackle comes in.

That is a fact, I looked it up.

Na. If Ohio State's left tackle gets hurt, Ohio State's backup left tackle comes in.

No one does that. You stating that is a fact means absolutely nothing. You sir are a fool.

No one does that. You stating that is a fact means absolutely nothing. You sir are a fool.
I have proof. You have no argument.

Teams that are two deep, sub in with backups at the position, they don't insert and slide. We are not two deep.

NFL teams slide players at times. It depends on the personnel which is something way too hard for you to understand. You look up one thing and it becomes fact. It explains a lot.

moving Nelson, playing Beh and giving true Frosh McGovern a long look.

Good stuff today.
Good to hear about Mark Allen as well. That is someone everyone can root for. The move by McGovern was mentioned elsewhere and he apparently does have the length to play there. They are looking for the best 5 and he is further along than most frosh we have had the last few years physically. It will come down to the mental part, but there will not be the same starting 5 as last year so yet again....Miles Kaufman is chewing on his feet.

Reactions: Ski and Bertway0
And just think, it's all because you are so offended at the notion that the O line is not being handled correctly. Which is even more comical, since we have had the worst one in the nation for two years in a row. Regardless of sanctions, better coaching decisions could have been made.

Ryan Bates comes in and wins the job in 3 days in the spring, why in the world wasn't he playing on that line last year, and making a block or two to beat Northwestern?

I.......LOVE.......YOU........MAN

And that's not something I often say to another man. :) (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

You - my good sir - are an absolute, bona-fide Original

NEVER change (even if Nurse Ratchet tries to force you down to the Electro-Shock Room)

"CJF won't....play.....the better.....guys....!!!"

Last edited:
Not necessarily. With a new offense, maybe they are just trying to make sure they have the right people in the right positions, and are giving players a chance in other positions in case someone plays better than expected with a different scheme.

Or, maybe just hedging in the event both #1 and #2 at a position go down in a game, to have other potential combos in their back pocket.

I.......LOVE.......YOU........MAN

And that's not something I often say to another man. :) (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

You - my good sir - are an absolute, bona-fide Original

NEVER change (even if Nurse Ratchet tries to force you down to the Electro-Shock Room)

Only 2 people know how to "properly" handle a D1 offensive line. Guess who they are? Not James Franklin. Not Herb Hand. Not Matt Limegrover. Not Joe Moorhead. But our very own resident experts on football 21milesofgums. The coaches with 50 years of collegiate experience are veritable lightweights by comparison. What the hell would we do without his demonstrated knowledge of football?

Because last year he wasn't good enough and made strides after the regular season?

Because why burn a kid's redshirt for one game in a season of little importance, when there are much bigger benefits to him and the team in future years by preserving his eligibility?

Because he wasn't handling Hand's complicated system, but is thriving in Morehead's new offense?

I suspect #2 myself, but could be any or all of the above.

One change. That's all I see.

Bates has won the job that Dowrey had last year.
one? come on 21 there are at least 2 mentioned, and from last year more likely 4. They moved Nelson to LT and Beh as the starter at RT, they have a new center, and most likely 1 new guards. I am guessing they leave Mahon at RG. As far as what they would do if say Nelson goes down? I would say that would depend, if PSU was winning 35-0, I guarantee Jenkins will go in at LT, OTOH if he went down tied w OSU, it wouldn't surprise me to see PP at left tackle. I agree the few switches you can make during a game, the better.

'was working at first-team left tackle and redshirt sophomore Noah Beh was the right tackle. That's a new look. Nelson, a Hershey High grad, has primarily started on the right side. The second-team tackles were redshirt freshman Sterling Jenkins (left) and senior Paris Palmer (right).'

lots of silliness in this thread.

after the past few seasons, folks are a little hyper about the OLine. I get that.

still, this is Spring Practice. Guys get held out for minor injuries, and that causes other folks to be moved around. Plus, the coaches will often try out guys at other position along the line in Spring Practice just to see how viable they would be there in an emergency. They don't like to try these experiments nearly as much in preseason practice, as by that time they're trying to focus on getting guys prepared for the season.

lots of silliness in this thread.

after the past few seasons, folks are a little hyper about the OLine. I get that.

still, this is Spring Practice. Guys get held out for minor injuries, and that causes other folks to be moved around. Plus, the coaches will often try out guys at other position along the line in Spring Practice just to see how viable they would be there in an emergency. They don't like to try these experiments nearly as much in preseason practice, as by that time they're trying to focus on getting guys prepared for the season.
maybe but I still think, and I think they think, PP is the weak link the cog. Look who started vs MSU, Nelson at LT and Mahon at RT, PP only came in on the unbalanced wildcat, and about half way thru the second quarter when they took Dowrey out. Go back and look at that tape, thru the first 1 1/2 qtrs. PSU moved the ball pretty well, and the OL looked like an OL. ( a fumble here, a pick there did not help.)
Just my observations.

Yep, there are lots of position battles going on and interesting to follow.... DT, Safety, QB and the whole OL except for Nelson. I don't believe there will be 4 new starters besides Nelson, but nothing would surprise me, with the 2015 OL kids ready to compete, the 2014 OL kids now seemingly big enough to compete, plus McGovern practicing and Menet on the way. CJF states that it's better to get the continuity going ASAP, but that may not be the case this year and there are options for replacements as the season gets started as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT