ADVERTISEMENT

Spitting Hairs: OSU DB's Tech & The Saben Shuffle

ColinPSU

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2015
Radnor
Lions Den,

Now seems as good as a time as any to talk OSU, specifically their DB's, and everyone's, favorite thing to talk about - footwork and hips!

The first thing to talk about is what their base is: OSU loves to run a solid mix of Cover 1, Cover 2, and (if they bring 6) Cover 0. What this means for our WRs all really depends on how the DBs are aligned. If OSU has DBs on an outside tech - meaning the DBs are lined up on the WR's outside shoulder, they are most likely going to see cover 1 since DBs will want to flow WRs to that safety help. Same concept with C2: DBs will line up with inside tech to try and force WRs to the sideline/safety help over top. If they are lined head-on-head expect Cover 0, no help and man. These are generalizations but by and large, the DB alignment (along with motion and dumby counts) help Offenses diagnose what is happening pre-snap. That's the coverage shell they like and is fairly standard in CFB these days from a defensive standpoint so let's talk press and the footwork OSU uses.

OSU runs almost exclusively press coverage, pretty much if a DB is on the field, they are going to be in press. Towards the end, we will talk about what PSU can do to counter/play calls we should expect to see.

All clips are from TCU this year, as this is pretty much what we should expect on Saturday.

NOTE: Look at how the DBs don't change depth.

Without getting into crazy Defensive theory - press takes away quick passes and relies on a great DL to get pressure/force a bad pass. You need great athletes outside the numbers and DEs who are very quick. OSU has both so they have run this for the last 2/3 years. OSU is in a Dime (I think, obviously don't know their roster well) rushing 4 (3 DL and an LB) with the Mike in a spy look. We will see this look on Saturday, they won't take a chance with 9's legs. In the clip above you'll see the bottom of the screen that the WR is just manhandled (QB's throwing side mind you) and taken away from the play. Top of the screen DB gets beat by the WR (good job by TCU dropping his shoulders to slip by) but ultimately doesn't matter since the pocket collapses almost immediately. Within OSU's DB position, you see three main footwork techs - backpedal, jam, and "the Saben Shuffle."

Backpedal is what you know and love, DB is aligned - doesn't hand fight and takes his three read steps to diagnose the play type (run, pass) and - if pass - QBs steps and shoulder height (steps help ID routes, shoulders down mean quick throw/route, shoulders up mean longer throw/route.) Footwork we want to watch on this play is at the top of the screen.

C2 so CB has inside tech, does his read and flows toward the play while maintaining contain. Good play, really a better stalk block by TCU on this play. If jet got a little more outside could have gotten some more yards there. I like jet running towards the strong side here trying to suck the safety up for a potential post route. Now the easiest to ID, Jam.

Jam is one of the better ways to take away WR because of the DB's leverage advantage. A DB lines up with his feet shoulder with planted and hips are down, while a WR lines up with their feet split. This means a DB can move better side to side and control the line of scrimmage. Look at the DB in the top of the screen for a good job getting his hands on the TCU receiver.

I really like how OSU gets his hands on the WR does his punch then immediately looks inside to see the play. Half decent stalk, but OSU was in good position. Jam obviously is advantageous for disrupting pass timings as well as slowing down a WR's release. DBs need to be strong and aggressive to pull this coverage off. Again, at the end, we can talk how WRs get around Jam (from a footwork, formation, and route standpoint.)

Last thing that you will see is the Saben Shuffle. I think this is really just called a shuffle step, but I was at a camp once where the coach said Sabin was slow when he played so he had to shuffle, not backpedal, to not get beat and I'll take any chance to take shots at Saben. It's a popular tech now because a DB can open his hips up, read the play, and still react without really compromising much. We will be looking at the same corner as Jam in this time bottom of your screen:

Look at his hips just flip open and keep everything inside. Because OSU always presses, this tech "baits" offenses into trying to throw deep on a fade. This shuffle step gives the defender an easy go in defending deep route while maintaining good position for inside routes. Another reason I picked this play as it also highlights some issues that PSU will exploit with our RPO. That action freezes the LB and lets the Z float into the middle of the field right behind the LB. Great play call by TCU.

Because these DBs can run all three and the OSU DL can get pressure quickly, press means our WR need to get separation quickly, and eat the DB's cushion or break the Jam. One way we (well, try) to do that is through motion, and getting the defense moving.

OSU wants to press, and they want to be physical at the LOS. TCU takes advantage of that by moving the defense one way, picking the LB to help the TE get open and throwing to where they ain't. My hope is that we also let JJ be physical and dare OSU to Jam him. He is far stronger than their DBs and needs to dominate them. JJ should get excellent stalks since OSU is so close to him. For our smaller Y and Z guys I would like some Trey looks so the TE is lined up on their side and they can take a step or two back giving them some separation from just scheme. From a general footwork/WR break standpoint, JJ will be taking a half step forward to square up his split stance with the DB and help get better leverage. From there, expect him to hand swipe or rip through to help get separation - Jam lets WR easily stack routes. 12 on OSU looks lost at times in his safety coverage so we should take our deep shots when we can. Use motion and scheme to get OSU off balance and help our WRs get an advantage.

That's all - thought it was interesting how OSU was playing Jam, always in press, and the variety of footwork they use.

Side note - 20 (LB) on OSU gives up big plays. He looks young and not quite ready for CFB. I would play with tempo to get him lined up incorrectly - the same thing that TCU did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News