ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee...

cp4psu

Jun 26, 2003
I past he and his girlfriend at the match yesterday and did the typical best of luck, stay healthy, and told him I hope to see him in the Blue/White in 2 years...Very respectful kid, was gracious and thankful and smiled and said "That's definitely a strong possibility"

I do know his coach at FR has Iowa connections, but I just cant see him getting away from Cael....

Thoughts?
This post was edited on 2/9 9:33 AM by cp4psu

Scroll back through previous threads, there is a thread on young Lee weekly.

As there should be - kid is a bad mofo

Pennsylvania's flagship program needs to keep landing our home state superstars. Nico, Jimmy, Zain, Nolf - keep them coming.

Can't get them all, but need to (and should) get most.

He destroyed a state champ this weekend and I was shocked he didn't tech or pin him. How's that for expectations?

And just as important he seems like a really good kid from the interviews - albeit intense as hell.

Re: As there should be - kid is a bad mofo

Originally posted by Chickenman Testa:
Pennsylvania's flagship program needs to keep landing our home state superstars. Nico, Jimmy, Zain, Nolf - keep them coming.

Can't get them all, but need to (and should) get most.

He destroyed a state champ this weekend and I was shocked he didn't tech or pin him. How's that for expectations?

And just as important he seems like a really good kid from the interviews - albeit intense as hell.
A mini-Metcalf in that respect.

Originally posted by cp4psu:
I past he and his girlfriend at the match yesterday and did the typical best of luck, stay healthy, and told him I hope to see him in the Blue/White in 2 years...Very respectful kid, was gracious and thankful and smiled and said "That's definitely a strong possibility"

I do know his coach at FR has Iowa connections, but I just cant see him getting away from Cael....

Thoughts?
Interesting tidbit, but probably completely meaningless. No offense intended.

Also, I did not realize that the Franklin Regional coach has Iowa connections. Can you elaborate?

Originally posted by BruceK-PSU83:

Thoughts?

Also, I did not realize that the Franklin Regional coach has Iowa connections. Can you elaborate?
Why is this tidbit "probably completely meaningless?"

I think ...

cp4psu confused things a bit.

While Spencer attends Franklin Regional, he also is a member of the Young Guns Wrestling Club. Young Guns was started by Eric Juergens and Jody Strittmatter, both of whom wrestled for Iowa. While Young Guns have taken trips to Iowa to attend wrestling matches (I think they went to last year's PSU - Iowa match at CHA), that hasn't impacted PSU recruiting so far, as several Young Guns alums are on PSU's current roster. I believe Iowa's commitment this year from Kemerer is the 1st Young Guns member to commit to Iowa.

Franklin Regional's head coach is Eric Mausser. I believe he wrestled for Clarion in college.

Tom

I liked the tidbit - I figuratively gobbled it like a crumb

of a Snickerdoodle. Reading this stuff is better than working. Lee could have given a blasé answer like Chance did on a a Flo video just before he decommitted which some savvy viewers noted at that time as not good for our cause. But he didn't. I like to hear that these hammers are consistently showing up at Rec Hall or the BJC, taking everything in, and having a good time.

Keep the recruit updates coming fellas - I'm always starving for news down in Tx.

Re: I think ...

What Tom said.

"Iowa connections" is a fallacy that really needs to die -- the sooner, the better. Young Guns PA has sent exactly TWO wrestlers ever to Iowa. Well, technically zero so far. None have enrolled yet; only Kemerer (2015) and Young (2016) have ever committed. (Which of them would start at PSU?)

The Strittmatters have sent just as many to Arizona State (Maruca and Shields).

Meanwhile, here's a partial list of PSU wrestlers from Young Guns: Nico, Gulibon, Nolf, Cody Law, Triston Law, McCutcheon. I think Cenzo has spent time there as well. (Not sure about Stout.)

If the Strittmatters are steering PA kids to Iowa, they're the worst salesmen in modern history -- because their top wrestlers go to State College.

Originally posted by lionlover:

Thoughts?

Why is this tidbit "probably completely meaningless?"
I was referring to Lee's quote "That's definitely a strong possibility." My rationale is simply that this kid is a sophomore in high school, and kids that age tend to [a] say stuff without really thinking, and/or change their mind the next week. Maybe Lee is different than most kids in that regard (I have no clue), but after years of following college recruiting in various sports I have learned not to place much emphasis on what these kids might utter during a brief snapshot in what may be a long recruiting process.

That said, the fact that Lee was at the dual, which appeared to have a great atmosphere from TV, is a good thing. IMO, his attendance is more positive for PSU than his quote. Although, from the perspective of an Iowa fan (which I am not), having Lee watch first-hand as Iowa defeats PSU (at PSU) might not be such a bad thing either. Various ways to spin this, but I wouldn't put too much stock in his quote.

Long answer for a short question.

This post was edited on 2/9 7:42 PM by BruceK-PSU83

His coach at Franklin Regional wrestled at Clarion U. Maybe you mean strittmatter at young guns club?

I was referring to Lee's quote "That's definitely a strong possibility." My rationale is simply that this kid is a sophomore in high school, and kids that age tend to [a] say stuff without really thinking, and/or change their mind the next week. Maybe Lee is different than most kids in that regard (I have no clue), but after years of following college recruiting in various sports I have learned not to place much emphasis on what these kids might utter during a brief snapshot in what may be a long recruiting process.

That said, the fact that Lee was at the dual, which appeared to have a great atmosphere from TV, is a good thing. IMO, his attendance is more positive for PSU than his quote. Although, from the perspective of an Iowa fan (which I am not), having Lee watch first-hand as Iowa defeats PSU (at PSU) might not be such a bad thing either. Various ways to spin this, but I wouldn't put too much stock in his quote.

Long answer for a short question.

This post was edited on 2/9 7:42 PM by BruceK-PSU83

Kind of my thinking. Both teams can walk away thinking the fact that Lee was there is good for their team.

Also, had Lee said that to an Iowa fan, I would say the same thing. Of course it's a strong possibility. Lee has already had success on the world level, and realistically there are only a handful of programs he can attend to reach (what I assume) his end goal of yellow medal.

Obviously there are a lot of good things about PSU and Iowa. They have to be the front runners or "strong possibilities".

Very true, I would say the same goes for Mark Hall. I await his decision , that would be a Huge get.

Nolf and Nickal were just at Young Guns doing a clinic within the last week or 2. So.....its anyone's guess which way the Young Guns Club pushes these kids.

Originally posted by lioncrebs:

Nolf and Nickal were just at Young Guns doing a clinic within the last week or 2. So.....its anyone's guess which way the Young Guns Club pushes these kids.
The club doesn't push the kids any direction. That's what makes it a great club.

AndI'm happy that Young Guns primary mission is to give everyone who attends the opportunity to reach their potential and secure a college education where possible!

That said..... Spencer would sure help fill the BJC for years to come
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by BDB57:
AndI'm happy that Young Guns primary mission is to give everyone who attends the opportunity to reach their potential and secure a college education where possible!

3dgrin.r191677.gif
Psh David Taylor AND Ed Ruth couldn't keep BJC full when they were there, he's better off filling CHA, where he can wrestle in front of the nation's leader in attendance!

wink.r191677.gif

All in good fun of course!

Originally posted by HawkTalk3:

3dgrin.r191677.gif
Psh David Taylor AND Ed Ruth couldn't keep BJC full when they were there, he's better off filling CHA, where he can wrestle in front of the nation's leader in attendance!

wink.r191677.gif

There was exactly ONE dual in BJC when DT & ER were on the PSU team and it was a sellout and set an all time attendance record with more in attendance than have EVER been in CHA, so I would say your post is basically an outright lie. All in good fun of course, except for the lying part.
laugh.r191677.gif

Agreed, but his workout buddy and role model Nico may sway him. Just sayin'

My daughter was a wrestling cheerleader for Clarion during the Bupp era. They were annually ranked in those days.

Originally posted by lioncrebs:

Young Guns will push him to Iowa, and Willie will steer him to Penn State.

Smh, really hope these posts are sarcasm.

Speaking of Young Guns...Iowa may have beaten PSU this past weekend, but Malvern Prep (coached by two former PSU wrestlers) defeated Young Guns (coached by a former Iowa wrestler) in a very competitive youth dual in Wildwood, NJ this past weekend. MP finished 4th out of 46 National/Club Teams, the highest placing PA Team and only all club team (non National Team) in the Top 8. MP beat the YG 6th grade and under team, but lost to their 8th grade and under team at McDonogh. Always a great battle between East vs West in the State of PA wrestling and to see the best of the future of PA wrestling.

Also, I think most of you have missed that two current 113lber sophomores in Jason Renteria (#10 overall) and Justin Mejia (#21 overall) have already verballed to Iowa. Not that Spencer Lee cares, but Iowa already has two future 125lbers/133lbers verballed for that class. I'll say it again that I'd be shocked if Spencer isn't a Nittany Lion in the end. He's a great kid off the mat and would be a phenomenal get for PSU.

Originally posted by tjb249:

Also, I think most of you have missed that two current 113lber sophomores in Jason Renteria (#10 overall) and Justin Mejia (#21 overall) have already verballed to Iowa. Not that Spencer Lee cares, but Iowa already has two future 125lbers/133lbers verballed for that class.
Meh. Like you say, not that Lee cares. If Lee wants to go to Iowa, those two verbals ain't gonna stop him.

Also, I think most of you have missed that two current 113lber sophomores in Jason Renteria (#10 overall) and Justin Mejia (#21 overall) have already verballed to Iowa. Not that Spencer Lee cares, but Iowa already has two future 125lbers/133lbers verballed for that class.
Meh. Like you say, not that Lee cares. If Lee wants to go to Iowa, those two verbals ain't gonna stop him.
Sophomores verballing should not mean much to anyone...

Originally posted by RoarLions1:

Sophomores verballing should not mean much to anyone...
Agree 100%, however Bruce's point is still valid. Lee isn't going to be worried about competition in the room.

I also recall nolf stating he wanted to go to Cornell either his soph or jr year! That said hearing that Spencer said that is reason to breath a little easier. Hated to see the picture of him in the Iowa room
eek.r191677.gif

I also recall nolf stating he wanted to go to Cornell either his soph or jr year!

I think that was between those two years - and I'll never forgive him for changing his mind!
furious.r191677.gif

Just kidding, I whish him all the best, at least when he's not wrestling a Cornellian!

I bet you are a bit bummed. That said, at least you know he has great respect for the program!

And thanks for wishing him well. Everything I have seen indicates he is a class act and he will definately be fun to watch!
This post was edited on 2/11 1:27 PM by BDB57

Originally posted by NoVa Lion:

Originally posted by HawkTalk3:

3dgrin.r191677.gif

wink.r191677.gif

There was exactly ONE dual in BJC when DT & ER were on the PSU team and it was a sellout and set an all time attendance record with more in attendance than have EVER been in CHA, so I would say your post is basically an outright lie. All in good fun of course, except for the lying part.
laugh.r191677.gif
Yeah, it DT and ER did it one time. Iowa pulls in more fans on a regular basis was the point...

Go look at the all time attendance record, PSU #1, how many others belong to CHA? Please educate me how my post the Iowa is the nations leader in attedance is an outright lie
roll.r191677.gif

But it is good to see that PSU can fill BJC for at least one meet a year.
party0003.r191677.gif

Edit, maybe this link will help No Va see my point..
This post was edited on 2/11 2:04 PM by HawkTalk3

Link

Also, I think most of you have missed that two current 113lber sophomores in Jason Renteria (#10 overall) and Justin Mejia (#21 overall) have already verballed to Iowa. Not that Spencer Lee cares, but Iowa already has two future 125lbers/133lbers verballed for that class. I'll say it again that I'd be shocked if Spencer isn't a Nittany Lion in the end. He's a great kid off the mat and would be a phenomenal get for PSU.
Yeah, this is pretty much a non factor this far out. One of these two verbals could hit a growth spurt and all of the sudden Iowa would have 125, 133, and 141 (assuming with Lee). It's one of quite a few scenarios that could play out quite a few years down the road.
This post was edited on 2/11 2:06 PM by HawkTalk3

HawkTalk3, you are right on highest attendence, but that's because Iowa's wrestling arena is equivalent to the BJC at PSU. If PSU decided to put every match in the BJC, then that attendance record would be in jeopardy. I am fine with you guys having that and keeping PSU wrestling in Rec Hall.

Also, I will say that wrestling at Iowa (which I did) is one of the coolest experiences. Between the TVs showing the match in the locker rooms to the 24 piece band (something like that) that plays, it really is a cool experience. I highly suggest PSU fans go out to Iowa one year and watch a PSU match there. It's worth the price of admission and the experience.

HawkTalk3, you are right on highest attendence, but that's because Iowa's wrestling arena is equivalent to the BJC at PSU. If PSU decided to put every match in the BJC, then that attendance record would be in jeopardy. I am fine with you guys having that and keeping PSU wrestling in Rec Hall.

Also, I will say that wrestling at Iowa (which I did) is one of the coolest experiences. Between the TVs showing the match in the locker rooms to the 24 piece band (something like that) that plays, it really is a cool experience. I highly suggest PSU fans go out to Iowa one year and watch a PSU match there. It's worth the price of admission and the experience.
I am just asking, if PSU could fill BJC to similar numbers as CHA, why don't they? Seems like a way to get a little more revenue in for a sport that doesn't make money.

For instance I wish Iowa would add UNI to the Iowa City duals, because the IC duals only draws about 3000 fans. If they held it on a Saturday - instead of during the day Friday, I feel like Iowa is costing themselves 3000 fans at least (which is a decent chunk of change).

EDIT to add, I even said on Twitter last Sunday that BJC looks like an awesome place to wrestle.
This post was edited on 2/11 2:55 PM by HawkTalk3

HawkTalk, there's a major complication about using the BJC: it's legally an events venue, not owned by PSU Athletics.

Basically, PSU had to strike a deal with the devil to get the facility built. The B10 would not admit PSU without a new basketball arena. And PSU couldn't build it without PA state money.

So PA funding came with a string: PSU hoops can use it free. Otherwise it's a concert arena. Everyone else has to pay rent. Meanwhile, Rec Hall is free (and lots of people prefer it -- it's a much more intimate facility, close to downtown, next door to the Nittany Lion Inn, etc.).

We did the math a few years ago. Wrestling has to nearly sell out the BJC just to break even. That's great for a special occasion but financially risky for an entire winter season with the largest alumni bases (Philly and Pittsburgh) 3+ hrs away.

Originally posted by El-Jefe:
HawkTalk, there's a major complication about using the BJC: it's legally an events venue, not owned by PSU Athletics.

Basically, PSU had to strike a deal with the devil to get the facility built. The B10 would not admit PSU without a new basketball arena. And PSU couldn't build it without PA state money.

So PA funding came with a string: PSU hoops can use it free. Otherwise it's a concert arena. Everyone else has to pay rent. Meanwhile, Rec Hall is free (and lots of people prefer it -- it's a much more intimate facility, close to downtown, next door to the Nittany Lion Inn, etc.).

We did the math a few years ago. Wrestling has to nearly sell out the BJC just to break even. That's great for a special occasion but financially risky for an entire winter season with the largest alumni bases (Philly and Pittsburgh) 3+ hrs away.
Gotcha, thanks. I know a lot of UNI fans feel the same way about having all their duals in the small gym opposed to where the basketball team plays. Even for the big duals, so I do get that some people actually perfer that atmosphere.

Tradition is another factor in favor of Rec Hall. Like with Wrigley or Fenway, fans put up with sub-optimal capacity, lousy acoustics, uncomfortable seats, inadequate restroom and snack bar facilities and other indignities because the place just oozes history.

Originally posted by El-Jefe:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT