ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee forfeiting out the rest of the tourney.

This whole thing is a complete mismanagement. They brought him back to win the NCAA team title under clearly negative circumstances with the injuries. Brands publically came out this season and proclaimed he's the greatest ever before the job was done. What good comes from that? Brands hang on by a thread with him.
Part of me wonders if there's a world where he did irreparable damage wresting without ACLs and he knows that he's not gonna be able to hang internationally so he needed this to cement his legacy.

Remember a few years back when Dylan Ness gave it everything he had left and finally had to MFF his last match in the consolations? When he got on the podium, the entire crowd gave him a standing ovation. I'll bet that Lee will get the same if he shows up today. If he doesn't even show for his medal, he's going to make himself, his family and the Iowa program look pretty bad.

Remember a few years back when Dylan Ness gave it everything he had left and finally had to MFF his last match in the consolations? When he got on the podium, the entire crowd gave him a standing ovation. I'll bet that Lee will get the same if he shows up today. If he doesn't even show for his medal, he's going to make himself, his family and the Iowa program look pretty bad.
As much as I always thought that Spencer did a lot of thumbing his nose at all of us good guy fans, I would love to see him at least show back up for his trophy and not from a place of derision.

Reactions: AgSurfer
He's been under an incredible amount of pressure since his first title.
You've seen small cracks in the last few years. He put a ton of pressure on himself but Iowa has put on more.
That part is sad, from the outside it hasn't looked like he's been enjoying the journey.
Still an all time great.
The separate tab on the team site, the t shirts, the GOAT talk podcasts, the endless write ups - they killed the golden goose

I would have liked to have seen Spencer come out today, register two first period falls, and take 3rd.

I think it would have been great for the sport to see him step on the podium after doing so and allow the adulation take place. It would have been a truly special moment.

But if he can’t go, then he can’t go.

I just think it would have been a great way to go out. Even better than winning four titles in some ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Without anyone asking for it, here is my opinion. One should not be overjoyed at someone else's set back. Is it ok to cheer for your opponents opposition? Absolutely. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. However, I think some people are being a little hard on Spencer. Roughly 12 hours ago, his lifelong dream came to an abrupt end when he was 2 matches away. Do I think he should have wrestled today if able, yes. But I do not have any inside information on why he's not. He's one of the best college wrestlers ever to date. A 3x Piaa State Champ, a 3x NCAA Champ, age level international champ. It has been a hell of a career so far, and I hope he's healthy enough to make a run on the senior level. If not, regardless of what singlet he decided to wear in college, it was a joy watching such dominance.
This version of Spencer will never make a splash on Senior level.

He is going to need at least another year to heal, then train.

I think it’s pretty ironic that the wrestler who went to Iowa to bring them multiple NCAA team championships just clinched another PSU win.
in interviews Tom Brands says Spencer could have made the easy choice and went to PSU, but he made the right choice and went to Iowa. I think at Iowa, putting team first lead to an injury filled career because the team depended on him. I can’t help but feel that at PSU, he would have been allowed to get 100% healthy since the team wouldn’t live and die by him. He should have wrestled for PSU. Iowa was the wrong choice.

I just spent a few minutes on the Iowa board and am ashamed of those PSU fans who danced on the grave. We need to have more class than to pile on to people who, as fans, are really hurting.
They have people on HR? Damn! Who?

The kid didn’t die, he lost a wrestling match.
How did you react when Bubba stuck David? And that wasn't nearly as crushing as losing your opportunity to become a four timer.

We are supposed to be the place that strives for success with honor! This should be especially true when we have been so blessed to have Cael choose PSU and bring this kind of domination. I just think the our fans should have the same humility as our team and just be grateful.

I believe that clinches the tournament for PSU, given that Lee's max possible points over two matches exceed the points PSU would've needed to clinch on their own.
Is this confirmed? Does that lower Iowa's max possible points to under 116.5 ?

not quite, we need to get a bonus win or iowa needs to not win by bonus, whichever happens first.
Thank you. That sounds good. It means that the probability of team victory is high enough that I'll avoid frayed nerves. :)

Just in case anybody is interested. Spencer mff to 6th leaves PSU 1 point short of clinching.

Win the first by fall 5.5 points
Win placement match by fall 3 points
8.5 off the table, 125.5 team Max possible reduces to 117. PSU at 116.5.

Bartlett win clinches title

Reactions: mn78psu83
Did anyone read the article about SLee choosing Iowa because of Terry Brands…? It talks about Larry Lee being concerned because Spencer is wired very similarly to Terry. If you watched the documentary “Terry” on FLO, it talks about a very similar situation when World Champ Terry loses in the ‘96 OTT and the “dark place” is sent him to. Royce Alger described the situation as “like a death in the family; you just didn’t talk about it.”

I would love to see Lee battling this morning, allowing the fans one last chance to show their appreciation. He was a great talent who I would’ve loved to have seen in the banded blue singlet. I get why he’s MFF out, but I wish he wasn’t.

How did you react when Bubba stuck David? And that wasn't nearly as crushing as losing your opportunity to become a four timer.

We are supposed to be the place that strives for success with honor! This should be especially true when we have been so blessed to have Cael choose PSU and bring this kind of domination. I just think the our fans should have the same humility as our team and just be grateful.
Everyone that competes in the sport as family, friends, those that Walter, and those people really want to Luanne. When they lose, they feel the pain is their friend family member. He is no more better or special to anyone else and I don't care that he's going Straight tile. Be a lot of guys on the way home some dreams, and they had to learn to deal with it.
As for fans, Busting balls that's not usually my style, but peoples done it to me and people continue to do it forever. If you can't handle that part get a different hobby.

This version of Spencer will never make a splash on Senior level.

He is going to need at least another year to heal, then train.
Another thing he’s going to have to overcome at the senior level is his gas tank. If he doesn’t manage to horse his opponent early he hits a wall. Hawk fans were blaming it on Lyme Disease, etc. but who knows? Most of the stuff their “insiders” post on HR turns out to be B.S.

I was so hyped at the turn of events during the match and even though Ramos had the lead secured because of back swipes, the fall came with :02 seconds left on the clock. So close to the end.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT