ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee forfeiting out the rest of the tourney.

He was injured in high school too. Some of these guys that wrestled a ton of matches throughout their lives… it doesn’t always seem to work out well health wise. Berge also comes to mind. I’d love to see statistics on it. Might aid in recruiting.

Reactions: Dogwelder and Ski
He's been under an incredible amount of pressure since his first title.
You've seen small cracks in the last few years. He put a ton of pressure on himself but Iowa has put on more.
That part is sad, from the outside it hasn't looked like he's been enjoying the journey.
Still an all time great.

I get it, he’s crushed and it hurts but I truly feel it would have been better for him mentally to show up today, the crowd would have given him a huge standing O, and he could have did his thing 2 more times.

Him not showing up today tells me the kid is in a dark, dark place.
If he doesn't need fan adulation, then he's in a dark place?

You've seen small cracks in the last few years. He put a ton of pressure on himself but Iowa has put on more.
That part is sad, from the outside it hasn't looked like he's been enjoying the journey.
Still an all time great.
Take away everything else and consider this:
How much less scrutiny would he have endured, less pressure, etc., had he been surrounded by similar achievers the past 5 years? Where he didn’t have to be a savior and rush everything to be everything to everyone.

Then again, maybe the singular greatness was the appeal for him to begin with.

I get it, he’s crushed and it hurts but I truly feel it would have been better for him mentally to show up today, the crowd would have given him a huge standing O, and he could have did his thing 2 more times.

Yes, we have all seen legends lose and come back to finish 3rd. He will regret this.

colin-jost-boo-qsrmv7jffx5zdggu.gif

Reactions: dsites52

Agree that Spencer is likely crushed (much like his mother’s eyeglasses), but c'mon man, the “dark, dark place” stuff is over the top silly.

No idea about how injured he may be, but Lee has never been in the consolation bracket at the NCAA tournament. I suspect he didn’t want to start today and really doesn’t care about trying to secure 3rd place. And the 6th place trophy may get thrown in the trash, like a previous Iowa 125 pounder allegedly once did.

Last edited:
Without anyone asking for it, here is my opinion. One should not be overjoyed at someone else's set back. Is it ok to cheer for your opponents opposition? Absolutely. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. However, I think some people are being a little hard on Spencer. Roughly 12 hours ago, his lifelong dream came to an abrupt end when he was 2 matches away. Do I think he should have wrestled today if able, yes. But I do not have any inside information on why he's not. He's one of the best college wrestlers ever to date. A 3x Piaa State Champ, a 3x NCAA Champ, age level international champ. It has been a hell of a career so far, and I hope he's healthy enough to make a run on the senior level. If not, regardless of what singlet he decided to wear in college, it was a joy watching such dominance.

Without anyone asking for it, here is my opinion. One should not be overjoyed at someone else's set back. Is it ok to cheer for your opponents opposition? Absolutely. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. However, I think some people are being a little hard on Spencer. Roughly 12 hours ago, his lifelong dream came to an abrupt end when he was 2 matches away. Do I think he should have wrestled today if able, yes. But I do not have any inside information on why he's not. He's one of the best college wrestlers ever to date. A 3x Piaa State Champ, a 3x NCAA Champ, age level international champ. It has been a hell of a career so far, and I hope he's healthy enough to make a run on the senior level. If not, regardless of what singlet he decided to wear in college, it was a joy watching such dominance.
Look, we all have a little instinct for schadenfreude. It is what it is. But when you take the next step toward outright sadism, well…

As I said Last night, I tell my kids to be for something not just against something else. Same goes for cheering, even if a little ribbing along the way happens. But no prison shanks.

Terrible look if he doesn't. He has teammates out there today that supported him when he was on the top. I hope he's there in some capacity. I get not being matside, but someplace there.
The problem is, his "excuses are for wusses" brand would denote that he's not wrestling because he just doesn't want to. Which is also not a good look. Is his legacy going to be that he quit? And for the people that wanna say to leave Spencer alone, get real. No matter how many people say otherwise, I would guarantee that most if not all of us thought it was as much a lock as there is. Him losing in the semis of his 4th tourney is a HUGE touchstone in the history of the sport. Also, it's Saturday morning, what else are we gonna talk about? Its not like the team race is in any jeopardy.

Agree 100%. I'm still processing everything I saw last night. What a night of wrestling! I'm just not going to be hard on Spencer no matter how he reacts. The guy's whole world was just crushed ... for the second time. I would love to see him try to wrestle back to third to give his fans one more chance to cheer for him. I think he should at least be matside to support his teammates. If neither of those things happen and he just wants to leave Tulsa and hide away with his parents for a while, I'm just not going to judge him for that. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be in his spot right now.

Still an all time great.
This whole thing is a complete mismanagement. They brought him back to win the NCAA team title under clearly negative circumstances with the injuries. Brands publically came out this season and proclaimed he's the greatest ever before the job was done. What good comes from that? Brands hang on by a thread with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT