ADVERTISEMENT

Spectrum Router

dailybuck777

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
Had a question about why Spectrum required me to use their router, which was what salesperson told me. Called tech support and they said salesperson was wrong. Turns out they charge rent for the router, which explains why they would encourage you to use their router. Since lazydave responded to my question, I will leave this up.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
I have Spectrum, but I don't have their router. I've not upgraded anything in quite some time though.

My daughter recently moved and in moving and helping her set up again, I noticed she has the Spectrum router. They sent her a newer modem for her move as well.

Not a lot of help specifically, but I do know my Spectrum works without their router (which we replaced in '17-'18), but that my daughter is using the newest modem of theirs with a router they sent her last year.

Had a question about why Spectrum required me to use their router, which was what salesperson told me. Called tech support and they said salesperson was wrong. Turns out they charge rent for the router, which explains why they would encourage you to use their router. Since lazydave responded to my question, I will leave this up.
If you go to your nearest Best Buy, they would likely walk you through the process on how to change to your own modem/router. They want to sell you a router. I still had to go through my provider in order to get them to recognize my hardware, which seemed like BS to me. It was worth the extra work though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT