ADVERTISEMENT

Spare ribs with soy sauce and sesame oil...

Garlic rub? I'm actually cooking them in the air fryer...
Oh. Gotcha! My bad. I get all randy at the prospect of using the smoker or grill and got a little ahead of myself. Ive never used the air fryer for ribs. But, garlic or garlic salt seems appropriate for that.

Reactions: brupsu
Wrestling match this Friday night with yuengling beer!
So, please allow me to tell you a story. When my wife and I were at the Whiteout game against Auburn(yeah, im the obnoxious Auburn guy that drove up from Alabama for the game) we found some guy's driver license on the ground in the stadium at the end of the game. No way we were gonna find him in the 200k fans that were there. So, we got back to the hotel in Williamsport and i got to work online trying to find the guy. Couldnt find him, but found his wife on google listing him as her husband on her company profile. So, i called her work number Monday morning. She confirmed that was him and how grateful she was because they had a trip to Aruba in a week and he was freaking out because he couldnt get a replacement in time to fly. Told her we would be in Hershey until the next Thursday. So, he insisted on driving over from their home in Philadelphia to get it instead of me mailing it or leaving it at the desk at the resort for him. Wednesday evening, we are eating at the restaurant there at the resort and he shows up, and as a thank you, he gave me a case of Yuengling Beer. Im almost exclusively a bourbon drinker, and know nothing about beer. Well, i get back to Alabama, throw them in the garage refrigerator. Next thing I know, i only drink Yuengling beer exclusively when i drink beer. Ive been taking it to all of our tailgates in Auburn for the last 3 years.

The end...

Last edited:
...been marinating for a day now, anything else needed?
Dirty little trick I've discovered: when you're ready, place ribs in pan/ tray, cover with foil, cook at 325 for at least 3 hours. I know some prefer the grill, but I have used this in the oven and they come out with the meat falling off the bone.

If you do a rub, make sure you don't have any salt in it. The soy sauce should give it plenty.

Here are some recommendations for additions to your marinade:
Chopped onion
Minced garlic
Ground ginger
Brown sugar or honey

Dig up a recipe for a honey glaze to brush on them while cooking. You need to cut the saltiness of the soy sauce.

Don't do it now since you already added pork. But a good test is to taste your marinade before adding meat. If it's bad (aside from being salty), it will likely not flavor meat well.

Dirty little trick I've discovered: when you're ready, place ribs in pan/ tray, cover with foil, cook at 325 for at least 3 hours. I know some prefer the grill, but I have used this in the oven and they come out with the meat falling off the bone.
This sounds pretty good, though I'd baste and stick under the broiler for few min. to crispin up the outside when done.

So, please allow me to tell you a story. When my wife and I were at the Whiteout game against Auburn(yeah, im the obnoxious Auburn guy that drove up from Alabama for the game) we found some guy's driver license on the ground in the stadium at the end of the game. No way we were gonna find him in the 200k fans that were there. So, we got back to the hotel in Williamsport and i got to work online trying to find the guy. Couldnt find him, but found his wife on google listing him as her husband on her company profile. So, i called her work number Monday morning. She confirmed that was him and how grateful she was because they had a trip to Aruba in a week and he was freaking out because he couldnt get a replacement in time to fly. Told her we would be in Hershey until the next Thursday. So, he insisted on driving over from their home in Philadelphia to get it instead of me mailing it or leaving it at the desk at the resort for him. Wednesday evening, we are eating at the restaurant there at the resort and he shows up, and as a thank you, he gave me a case of Yuengling Beer. Im almost exclusively a bourbon drinker, and know nothing about beer. Well, i get back to Alabama, throw them in the garage refrigerator. Next thing I know, i only drink Yuengling beer exclusively when i drink beer. Ive been taking it to all of our tailgates in Auburn for the last 3 years.

The end...
Great story. Typical of Yuengling drinkers.

Here's another story...I grew up about 13 miles from Yuengling brewery. Everybody drank it when I was a kid. Your father, grandfather, Aunt Jennie, you name it. I've been to Kentucky a number of times and until recently they couldn't get Yueng in KY. I was offered high top quality bourbons for cases of Yuengling. It's weird. It's a decent beer don't get me wrong. I think the quality and down home flavor of Yuengling speaks more to what total shite most of USA beers have become.

Reactions: SH0RTS
As to the OP I'd say a little Worcestershire and a cup or so of brewed coffee. Often overlooked in a marinade. Adds a lot of depth of flavor to beef or pork.

Reactions: Psugo823

Here's another story...I grew up about 13 miles from Yuengling brewery. Everybody drank it when I was a kid. Your father, grandfather, Aunt Jennie, you name it. I've been to Kentucky a number of times and until recently they couldn't get Yueng in KY. I was offered high top quality bourbons for cases of Yuengling. It's weird. It's a decent beer don't get me wrong. I think the quality and down home flavor of Yuengling speaks more to what total shite most of USA beers have become.
Lived in Lexington for 3 years. Wife and I say to each other at least once a month "why did we leave Lexington?". I loved that town. Been a closet UK football fan since.

Been meaning to ask- is Yuengling like a big thing to folks that are native to Pennsylvania? Like, is it the consensus beer of choice? Do people drink more Yuengling than other brands?
Because we have a couple of new bourbon distilleries in Alabama, and Im telling yall now- STAY AWAY FROM THAT ROTGUT!

And, what is up with the liquor laws up there? I went into a Sheets and got two 12 packs of beer, and the guy said I could only buy one at a time. So, i paid for one, had to physically leave the store and take it to the truck, he held the other behind the counter and i had to come back in and pay for the other.

I’ve been doing my ribs in the sous vide for 36 hours at 149F.

After that they get an ice bath and can go in the fridge for a day or two before being finished on the grill.

The last few times they’ve been incredibly tender, almost buttery. I think ribs would have to be perfectly smoked to be any better.

Lager is both good and cheap. Not many beers are.

You’re right that it doesn’t stand up to a solid craft beer but show me a good craft beer that’s $20 a case.

Lived in Lexington for 3 years. Wife and I say to each other at least once a month "why did we leave Lexington?". I loved that town. Been a closet UK football fan since.

Been meaning to ask- is Yuengling like a big thing to folks that are native to Pennsylvania? Like, is it the consensus beer of choice? Do people drink more Yuengling than other brands?
Because we have a couple of new bourbon distilleries in Alabama, and Im telling yall now- STAY AWAY FROM THAT ROTGUT!

And, what is up with the liquor laws up there? I went into a Sheets and got two 12 packs of beer, and the guy said I could only buy one at a time. So, i paid for one, had to physically leave the store and take it to the truck, he held the other behind the counter and i had to come back in and pay for the other.
Yes our liquor laws are effed up. Beer can only be purchased in cases or higher quantities at licensed distributors.

Yes, I think most people east of the Susquehanna drink Yuengling.

As for KY, Lexington is where I always landed. Keeneland for the races. Beautiful country. My friends and I loved the Liquor Barn which is one stop shopping before the races. Groceries, deli, booze, cigars, beer, whatever you want. You can't get that in one place in PA. It's all graft and corruption.

It wasn't long ago you couldn't get beer at a gas station. Now you can. If they do a big enough volume to support a license.

Yes our liquor laws are effed up. Beer can only be purchased in cases or higher quantities at licensed distributors.

Yes, I think most people east of the Susquehanna drink Yuengling.

As for KY, Lexington is where I always landed. Keeneland for the races. Beautiful country. My friends and I loved the Liquor Barn which is one stop shopping before the races. Groceries, deli, booze, cigars, beer, whatever you want. You can't get that in one place in PA. It's all graft and corruption.
I lived there before the bourbon craze. The Liquor Barn on Richmond Road had a 23 yr Pappy Van Winkle in their glass case for sale for $250. It was bottled the year i was born in 69, when they hand wrote the bottle number on it. We didnt have any $$ back then, but, i had to have it. Charged it on an already damn near maxed out credit card. I still have it and have been offered over 3k for that bottle a few times.

I lived there before the bourbon craze. The Liquor Barn on Richmond Road had a 23 yr Pappy Van Winkle in their glass case for sale for $250. It was bottled the year i was born in 69, when they hand wrote the bottle number on it. We didnt have any $$ back then, but, i had to have it. Charged it on an already damn near maxed out credit card. I still have it and have been offered over 3k for that bottle a few times.
I have been there when they had lottery-style "releases". People lined up on the sidewalk in the middle of the night for a CHANCE to get a bottle of Pappy or whatever. I never gave a shit, but I understand it. Bourbon is very important to the folks down there. It's cool. Like coal, it keeps the lights on. I think the distilleries create artificial shortages which you already know. Same goes on with all consumables.

I have been there when they had lottery-style "releases". People lined up on the sidewalk in the middle of the night for a CHANCE to get a bottle of Pappy or whatever. I never gave a shit, but I understand it. Bourbon is very important to the folks down there. It's cool. Like coal, it keeps the lights on. I think the distilleries create artificial shortages which you already know. Same goes on with all consumables.
Im more concerned with the shortage of beef in America and the smaller herds. I can always find a bourbon i find tolerable.

Reactions: WaylonJ
I don't think we're there quite yet. At least I hope not.
I was watching an interview with an Illinois finishing farmer stating the drought has caused midwestern cattle farms to have smaller herds, and they are having to charge less while the meat packers and distributors charge us more. Everyone in that industry is making more except the cattle farmer, so some are phasing down. Said even if they decided to start increasing herd sizes now, it will take two years. I buy a lot of whole loins from Costco, always prime. They havent had any prime loins in damn near two years. They will have some one week, and not have any for another two months. I called their corporate, and they wouldnt give me an answer.

Reactions: WaylonJ
All I can offer is this...I get my meat from local Mennonite butchers and it's the best you could imagine. I'm sure they'll feel the pinch eventually. Might take awhile.

Hey when the shtf we're all screwed. We'll be eating bark.

One day the Amish will rule the world. That day is already here.

Last edited:
GF2Pnhoa0AAsM-_

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT