ADVERTISEMENT

Something I saw too.

It was my thought as soon as I saw it too. Deer in the headlights.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/03/jared-goff-crumbled-before-the-super-bowl-even-began/
Despite the Rams being a more talented team than the Patriots (the Chiefs were too), there never was any way that a team quarterbacked by Jared Goof was going to beat a team quarterbacked by Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. Brady almost is like a Lebron James, in that he singlehandedly can transform what would be a borderline playoff team into a championship team, and that's extremely hard to do in a sport like football.

The only good thing for the rest of the NFL is that Brady now is 40 or 41, and his athletic life is almost over, and when he leaves, the Patriots are going to fall hard and fast. However, it would be good if the other garbage teams in their division would become more competitive.

Despite the Rams being a more talented team than the Patriots (the Chiefs were too), there never was any way that a team quarterbacked by Jared Goof was going to beat a team quarterbacked by Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. Brady almost is like a Lebron James, in that he singlehandedly can transform what would be a borderline playoff team into a championship team, and that's extremely hard to do in a sport like football.

The only good thing for the rest of the NFL is that Brady now is 40 or 41, and his athletic life is almost over, and when he leaves, the Patriots are going to fall hard and fast. However, it would be good if the other garbage teams in their division would become more competitive.

Meh, Brady didn’t play particularly well. They won that game because of the defense.

Doesn’t this make Nick Foles look even better in hindsight? He saw a very similar defense last year and shredded it. Belichick brings the pressure with extra guys and different types of zone behind it. If a QB can make pressure throws, big plays are out there.

Goff was toast

Local guys had some interesting comments about Baker Mayfield and Goff. The speculation was that if Mayfield was on the Rams they'd be champions today. It was the usual notion of Mayfield being much more mobile etc. But one comment struck me: Mayfield played on the biggest stage next to the super bowl in the NCAA playoffs and played well (2 OTs). Goff, playing at Cal, had no real meaningful games in college. He led the Rams to a playoff last year where they got beat by the Falcons and only scored 13 points. Not to say Goff isn't good, to say he is not experienced in big time games.

Also have to say he made some great throws in the 4th and it simply didn't look like his guys were open at any time (sans the blown coverage Goff missed late when the Pats S was able to get over and knock away a sure TD). I have no idea why the Rams abandoned Gurley the last two games.

Meh, Brady didn’t play particularly well. They won that game because of the defense.
Agree....plus, they simply played smash mouth football. They physically overwhelmed the Chargers, Chief and Rams to win the championship. So much credit to Beliechek who just finds a way to win. Romo said it late, Rams couldn't stop Pats running game in the 4th quarter because of the body blows the Pats delivered in the first 3 quarters. They simply made no mistakes coming down the stretch.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Give NE’s D the credit they deserve. The first half of the KC game they were outstanding.....and the entire LA game they were outstanding.

Agree....plus, they simply played smash mouth football. They physically overwhelmed the Chargers, Chief and Rams to win the championship. So much credit to Beliechek who just finds a way to win. Romo said it late, Rams couldn't stop Pats running game in the 4th quarter because of the body blows the Pats delivered in the first 3 quarters. They simply made no mistakes coming down the stretch.
Similar to UK closing out the Citrus Bowl.

Reactions: Ski and Obliviax
Couldn't the writer support his point with a picture of Goff before the game?

The NFL is blocking the direct feed of the video. Click on "Watch on You Tube" and watch for the 48-49 second mark.

Last edited:
Doesn’t this make Nick Foles look even better in hindsight? He saw a very similar defense last year and shredded it. Belichick brings the pressure with extra guys and different types of zone behind it. If a QB can make pressure throws, big plays are out there.

Goff was toast

IMO ... Makes Doug Pederson look even better.

Reactions: sluggo72
Brady was so-so That game was won by the Patriot defense and Edelman, as well as the Patriots OL giving Brady time to throw.

I can't tell if Goff was missing reads or if the Pats defense was confusing him or whatever, but when he threw the ball he wasn't missing open receivers. They were generally well covered. There was one play they showed on replay, going left to right, where the QB threw deep to a WR at the top of the screen when over the middle another WR was wide open that the QB didn't see. I think that was when the Rams had the ball but I'm not certain.

They keep saying Gurley wasn't hurt. Okay, if not then why would the Rams use him so little? That's a mystery. He was fantastic in 2018 when healthy.

ETA: Edelman had a great game but him getting the MVP shows how silly the concept of MVP is. The Rams have a really good offense and the Patriots held them to 3 points and yet the MVP was an offensive player. Why do they have to pick one player anyhow? The entire Patriots defense should get it.

Brady was so-so That game was won by the Patriot defense and Edelman, as well as the Patriots OL giving Brady time to throw.

I can't tell if Goff was missing reads or if the Pats defense was confusing him or whatever, but when he threw the ball he wasn't missing open receivers. They were generally well covered. There was one play they showed on replay, going left to right, where the QB threw deep to a WR at the top of the screen when over the middle another WR was wide open that the QB didn't see. I think that was when the Rams had the ball but I'm not certain.

They keep saying Gurley wasn't hurt. Okay, if not then why would the Rams use him so little? That's a mystery. He was fantastic in 2018 when healthy.

ETA: Edelman had a great game but him getting the MVP shows how silly the concept of MVP is. The Rams have a really good offense and the Patriots held them to 3 points and yet the MVP was an offensive player. Why do they have to pick one player anyhow? The entire Patriots defense should get it.
Agree...but Goff missed the only throw when the Pats blew a coverage and had a guy WIDE open. Goff saw him late and threw a duck. Pats S got over in time to knock it away. Late in the Game, Goff threw some bullets but it was too late. Pats wore out the Rams D with the TOP and Rams had nothing left to stop the Pats power run game.

Said it before, leave it to the NFL to give the MVP award to a offensive player when the O only scored 13 points and only gave up 3.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Great job by Gladys on the Anthem, by the way. Lovely and fit at age 74, she delivered a stirring rendition.

Shows you what can happen when they put something in the hands of a professional adult instead of some "kids".

The biggest play was Goff being about 10 seconds late on the throw to the back middle of the end zone. The NE defensive back that came in to break up the pass at the last minute wasn’t within 15 yds of the play and made up the ground only because the pass was late and lazy. Should have been an easy TD because of NE’s broken coverage.

Reactions: flash86

I thought they said Gurley's knee wasnt the problem, as I remember thinking, ok, what is? Hammy??

The biggest play was Goff being about 10 seconds late on the throw to the back middle of the end zone. The NE defensive back that came in to break up the pass at the last minute wasn’t within 15 yds of the play and made up the ground only because the pass was late and lazy. Should have been an easy TD because of NE’s broken coverage.

Yes, now that you mention it that was awful, and even if the Pats defender didn't get over there it would have been a tough catch for the WR because the ball was too high. That was a 7 point miss on Goff's part.

Shows you what can happen when they put something in the hands of a professional adult instead of some "kids".
Read an article in a marketing magazine two weeks ago. The article was spurred by Harley Davidson's recent downturn. HD, one of the greatest brand creations of all time, has a huge problem. Kids aren't tuning into the Harley brand. They then went on to name several other brands that were or would have problems moving forward. The NFL was one. The music industry is another. They are approaching the inflection point where they have to turn over the brand which will alienate long time patrons (baby boomers) and there is no guarantee of success. So you get commercials like Doritos (Chance the Rapper putting a spin on the Backstreet Boys "I want it that way") and the NFL watering down the gap between generations with pop and rap music. will be fun to watch.

Edelman had a great game but him getting the MVP shows how silly the concept of MVP is. ... Why do they have to pick one player anyhow? The entire Patriots defense should get it.

An entire squad set apart from all other players as the single most valuable player. Brilliant!

Edelman has a great game. Several Pats did, especially on the defensive side.

An entire squad set apart from all other players as the single most valuable player. Brilliant!

Edelman has a great game. Several Pats did, especially on the defensive side.

I guess what I meant was that the notion of a single most valuable player is flawed in a sport that depends on so many. Putting the Pats defense aside then Edelman is the clear MVP but being MV in a sport that relies on so many isn't really such a big deal. Having an MVP in the first place is a marketing thing.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Give NE’s D the credit they deserve. The first half of the KC game they were outstanding.....and the entire LA game they were outstanding.
Yes. They generate a very good pass rush, and cover very well; team speed is excellent. Stephon Gilmore #24 was terrific; the Pats gave him a big contract as a free agent coming over from Buffalo, and it's been a good investment.

I guess what I meant was that the notion of a single most valuable player is flawed in a sport that depends on so many. Putting the Pats defense aside then Edelman is the clear MVP but being MV in a sport that relies on so many isn't really such a big deal. Having an MVP in the first place is a marketing thing.
I’m ok setting one guy apart if he had a great game. Makes for colorful contract negotiation.

But to your point, I like soccer’s “man of the match” phrase better. It’s an award for the guy who gets the glory. It’s the Herbstreit-esque “looks test” guy on the winning side. If value was the really the point, just imagine how many MVPs Orlando Pace should have won!

Local guys had some interesting comments about Baker Mayfield and Goff. The speculation was that if Mayfield was on the Rams they'd be champions today. It was the usual notion of Mayfield being much more mobile etc. But one comment struck me: Mayfield played on the biggest stage next to the super bowl in the NCAA playoffs and played well (2 OTs). Goff, playing at Cal, had no real meaningful games in college. He led the Rams to a playoff last year where they got beat by the Falcons and only scored 13 points. Not to say Goff isn't good, to say he is not experienced in big time games.

Also have to say he made some great throws in the 4th and it simply didn't look like his guys were open at any time (sans the blown coverage Goff missed late when the Pats S was able to get over and knock away a sure TD). I have no idea why the Rams abandoned Gurley the last two games.
Goff did have two passes , that could have been TDs . But he did seem in a fog most of the game. He's young. He will learn and move on. Did you see he was in kindergarden when Brady was in his first SB ?

Reactions: Obliviax
The NFL is blocking the direct feed of the video. Click on "Watch on You Tube" and watch for the 48-49 second mark.

The writer is reaching. He is trying to build off Goff's poor play with, "You knew what was going to happen if you were paying attention like I was." There's nothing there. This is today's media. Goff hardly had a Shermanator-at-the-dance moment.

That was the surprise. Last year--no defense at all, and we were hearing about how the game was changing to basketball on grass. This year? Just the opposite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT