ADVERTISEMENT

Some Reflections after Saturday’s heartbreaker

TheWhiteOut26

Sep 4, 2018
Like I assume many of you, it’s been a full range of emotions these past 48 hours, from denial to anger to hope to now acceptance (7 stages of grief I suppose? Or is it 5 stages?). Anyway, after having some time to think about this game (I’m can’t get myself to rewatch), and reading through a few comments on this board, I figured I’d through out a few thoughts:

• Franklin’s post game comments about going from “great” to “elite” have really stuck with me, because they are very spot on. From the coaching staff down to the players (McSorley and Hamler not included), we are not at an elite level... yet.
  • A lot of blame is being thrown around for the loss, but as Hamler tweeted recently, it was a collective effort for why the game was lost. The coaching staff is not at an elite level (obviously the 4th down call was terrible, the “Lion” package was anger-inducing), and the players still are not yet at an elite level. Could we, and should we, have won this game, absolutely. But to take that next step as a championship contender, we can’t have the missed tackles and the dropped passes that we have seen this season.
  • That said, as many have pointed out, we are moving in the right direction and the future is bright. While a trip to the playoffs seem unlikely, a top 10 finish and top 10 recruiting class(es) will go a long way for Coach to show us fans that we are close.
  • Regarding the game, the parallels of the 2016 White Out game are scary, just with the roles reversed. We outgained them and outplayed them, but couldn’t finish with TDs in the first half and left them hang around. An unlikely game-changing play in 4Q (our field goal block in 2016, and OSU’s 50 yard TD reception to make it a one score game) sparked a momentum changer (Meyers comments further hammered home my thoughts on when the game changed). While extremely frustrating, we have obviously closed the gap and I am excited to see us continue to get better.
  • One thing that stands out to me mightily on the 4th and 5, (and really most of the game from what I remember) is that Ohio State had no respect that our receivers could win the one on one matchups, and once Hamler left the game it was even more magnified. On that dreaded 4th down call, OSU lined up man to man and dared us to beat them. While I can perhaps see why the run was called, it is telling that our coaches also didn’t have the confidence in our WRs to win a one-on-one matchup for a 1st down.
  • While it may seem obvious, McSorley, Hamler, Freiermuth deserve special recognition - they were the best players on the field at their positions. On defense, we played pretty well across the board - as some have mentioned we don’t quite have that game-changer (in the way of Hamler) and that seems to hurt us. The talent is there but we lack consistency. Really the only player that stands out from a physical standpoint is Parsons and I wish the coaching staff would have given him more snaps and more reps early in the season to get him more comfortable at LB.
Moving forward we still have a great opportunity to have a successful season, finish with a top 10 ranking and win a New year’s 6 Bowl. Recruiting has been great but not yet “elite. Except for 2018, I would say we are quite at an elite level there just yet (ranked 14-20 over the prior 3 years) - I think our staff is continuing to make strides there and hope to see us bring in top 10 classes on a consistent basis.
We have a lot of work to do the rest of the season, the schedule is still pretty brutal, but I’m excited about the future of the team, and the program, and the awareness Franklin has that this isn’t good enough is encouraging.

We Are!

Reactions: ELDADDY and PSU87
I honestly did not feel too bad after the game. This was about my daughter's 20th game and she had never seen them lose. She took it pretty hard.

IMO, we lost that game for 2 reasons - No placekicking game and lack of depth on D. The game gave me confidence that we are better than the rest of the teams on our schedule.

IMHO, a big key to the game was one major x and o change that Meyer/Day made at halftime. They finally realized that our Dbacks could not handle their speed guys on the edge. Couldn't run with them and couldn't tackle them when they had a shot.

They just got the ball out quick to the receivers in space and let them do their thing. Still not sure about our D strategy on those plays. Final OSU TD was mind boggling D for us from a formation standpoint. OSU sends 3 wideouts in a bunch formation on the top of the formation. All other 8 guys are about as far away from those 3 as possible. PSU defense has 3 guys guarding those 3. Given the space, there is no way a 4th guy could get out there quickly enough. So, all OSU needs if for their 2 WRs to make blocks or run their man off and then the guy who got the ball just had to beat 1 guy to take it to the house. Reid misses the tackle and it is done, easy TD. Need to have a 4th guy out there before the snap even happens.

I honestly did not feel too bad after the game. This was about my daughter's 20th game and she had never seen them lose. She took it pretty hard.
After the game, a group of a few students walked past me and commented on how depressing the music was that was playing (sounded like Frank Sinatra or something along those lines). One of them asked me if they always play something so sad when we lose, and that the “winning” music is so much better. I asked her if she had ever seen us lose before, and she had not...and had been to every game as a student...and is in her Junior year.

That’s pretty good.

After the game, a group of a few students walked past me and commented on how depressing the music was that was playing (sounded like Frank Sinatra or something along those lines). One of them asked me if they always play something so sad when we lose, and that the “winning” music is so much better. I asked her if she had ever seen us lose before, and she had not...and had been to every game as a student...and is in her Junior year.

That’s pretty good.
That says a lot about what Franklin has done, IMO. Good post.

IMHO, a big key to the game was one major x and o change that Meyer/Day made at halftime. They finally realized that our Dbacks could not handle their speed guys on the edge. Couldn't run with them and couldn't tackle them when they had a shot.

They just got the ball out quick to the receivers in space and let them do their thing. Still not sure about our D strategy on those plays. Final OSU TD was mind boggling D for us from a formation standpoint. OSU sends 3 wideouts in a bunch formation on the top of the formation. All other 8 guys are about as far away from those 3 as possible. PSU defense has 3 guys guarding those 3. Given the space, there is no way a 4th guy could get out there quickly enough. So, all OSU needs if for their 2 WRs to make blocks or run their man off and then the guy who got the ball just had to beat 1 guy to take it to the house. Reid misses the tackle and it is done, easy TD. Need to have a 4th guy out there before the snap even happens.
I agree. I was anticipating the OSU adjustments and half and unfortunately was correct. They got the ball out of Haskins hand quickly and ran a lot of screens (RB and WR) and Pry didn't anticipate it or seem to make the adjustments. Conversely, I didn't see much from Rahne on the run game. I know that the QB draw was working well, but would have been nice to get Sanders going. Do we even run a RB screen?

I agree. I was anticipating the OSU adjustments and half and unfortunately was correct. They got the ball out of Haskins hand quickly and ran a lot of screens (RB and WR) and Pry didn't anticipate it or seem to make the adjustments.

Good point. We haven't really defended the WR screen well this season. I think it was against Illinois (or maybe even Kent State) that we got continuously gashed on that play. Surprised we didn't tighten up coverage when it became clear we weren't able to slow that down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT