ADVERTISEMENT

Some random thoughts..................

A few other random comments:

1. Pitt lost big because of bad coaching, bad weather and bad special teams. Unfortunately, we can’t take full credit for the blowout, but a positive step since app state none the less
2. I don’t know that I saw Reid out there. Maybe this was discussed elsewhere
3. Still haven’t seen much of Luketa, which is surprising given the rave reviews in camp
4. I don’t recall seeing a missed tackle, Kudos to Pry
5. I think we have one of the top few punters in the country, might be player if the game
6. Trace spent a lot of time looking for open receivers...that was concerning given that pitts secondary was poor and the conditions
7. Shame on Pitt fans abandoning their team on national TV when the game was still relatively close
8. Sean Clifford - that was a great throw for his first collegiate pass
9. Secondary played well despite not being challenged

• Pitt is the worst OOC opponent on the schedule, yet they still gashed PSU for 200 yards in the first half. Good news is adjustments were made and it did get better. I honestly thought after the first half it was going to be a repeat of 2 years ago...kudos to Pry and the defense for turning it up a few notches.
  • Doozi is toast, don't think they win a single ACC game this year to be honest. You have to recruit at least decent in a P5 conference and he recruits at non P5 level. He really needs to STFU and learn how to recruit or else he will finish up his career as a DC...which seems likely.
  • Hamler is just an insanely good football player. Sweeps, catches, Returns....does it all.
  • Noticed Hansard and E. Jordan out there a ton in the second half getting a lot of reps. Good news is they were not getting gashed and seemed to be out there on quite a few of the 3 and outs with Miller and Matos.
  • WR's for PSU need to have a gut check, all of them as a unit. If not you are going to see the younger guys sooner rather than later. JJ and Thompkins are supposed to be the leaders, but they continue to drop passes. I think it was around 7 drops last night...rough guess there.
  • Sanders is a really good RB, but he needs to do what he does best...north and south. Glad he gashed Pitt in his hometown.
  • Slade got a lesson last night...tough night with a wet ball...hopefully this makes him better down the line.
  • By the time we play tOSU, Parsons and Luketa will be seeing the majority of snaps IMO.
  • I love Franklin and the TD pass to Mac H was a big enough FU to Doozi who earned that one, no need at all for that last review though. I love he wants to compete on every play, but a 45 point lead and a minute to go...dial it back and look like you have been there before. No matter how much of a prick the opposing coach is, take the high road when possible.
  • There is still a ton of room for improvement on this team. I'm hopeful that the light went on at halftime last night for that defense, but I honestly think Pitt folded halfway through the 3rd Q.
Also....Freiermuth can block.

I'm re-watching the game now. On Pitt's failed 4th and 3, Duzzie arrogantly elected not to send a single receiver into the end zone as a decoy. All eleven Pitt players were inside the tackle box, leaving us with a 3-on-2 situation where Nick Scott came in untouched and just stoned the RB about 3 yards deep in the backfield. I can see this in "4th and inches" situation but goddam was that ever a bad call on 4th and 3! Wow!

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I'm re-watching the game now. On Pitt's failed 4th and 3, Duzzie arrogantly elected not to send a single receiver into the end zone as a decoy. All eleven Pitt players were inside the tackle box, leaving us with a 3-on-2 situation where Nick Scott came in untouched and just stoned the RB about 3 yards deep in the backfield. I can see this in "4th and inches" situation but goddam was that ever a bad call on 4th and 3! Wow!

At first I thought it was PSU that called the TO to give its defense a breather as Pitt had just marched down the field. Stupid call by the Douze.

Didn't realize that. If Cuse beats them they're looking at 4-8.

Hard to win the Heisman with 4-8. Although Notre Dame and Paul Horning managed it at 2-8. Some things never change.
pitt will be lucky to end up 4-8 this year. Next year they lose a lot of seniors and have no replacements because of Narduzzi's putrid recruiting. I look for them to become the Browns on the Ohio River in the near future.

Makes me wonder if the officials were kind of sticking it to Franklin for requesting a review when his team was up by 45 points with :50 left in the game.

I think there was some of that, and the fact that it was an ACC review team. They probably would have been firebombed on their way to their cars had they overturned the fumble in a situation like that.

I felt bad for Slade. The first fumble could have happened to Saquan Barkley or anyone. The Pitt defender simply had a perfect hit on the football and the wet conditions compounded things. It happens. As for the second called fumble, that one I don't understand. The replay showed Slade was down (elbow, knee, and hip) when the ball was ripped out of his hands, yet the officials didn't overturn the call after watching the replay. Makes me wonder if the officials were kind of sticking it to Franklin for requesting a review when his team was up by 45 points with :50 left in the game.

Myself and everyone in our place watching the game thought it was a fumble. DL from Pitt had the ball moving before Slade went down, have to finish the play. PSU and non PSU fans so not biased, he's got to hold on to that ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT