ADVERTISEMENT

Some random thoughts..................

LaJolla Lion

May 29, 2001
Cumberland line
  • Pitt is the worst OOC opponent on the schedule, yet they still gashed PSU for 200 yards in the first half. Good news is adjustments were made and it did get better. I honestly thought after the first half it was going to be a repeat of 2 years ago...kudos to Pry and the defense for turning it up a few notches.
  • Doozi is toast, don't think they win a single ACC game this year to be honest. You have to recruit at least decent in a P5 conference and he recruits at non P5 level. He really needs to STFU and learn how to recruit or else he will finish up his career as a DC...which seems likely.
  • Hamler is just an insanely good football player. Sweeps, catches, Returns....does it all.
  • Noticed Hansard and E. Jordan out there a ton in the second half getting a lot of reps. Good news is they were not getting gashed and seemed to be out there on quite a few of the 3 and outs with Miller and Matos.
  • WR's for PSU need to have a gut check, all of them as a unit. If not you are going to see the younger guys sooner rather than later. JJ and Thompkins are supposed to be the leaders, but they continue to drop passes. I think it was around 7 drops last night...rough guess there.
  • Sanders is a really good RB, but he needs to do what he does best...north and south. Glad he gashed Pitt in his hometown.
  • Slade got a lesson last night...tough night with a wet ball...hopefully this makes him better down the line.
  • By the time we play tOSU, Parsons and Luketa will be seeing the majority of snaps IMO.
  • I love Franklin and the TD pass to Mac H was a big enough FU to Doozi who earned that one, no need at all for that last review though. I love he wants to compete on every play, but a 45 point lead and a minute to go...dial it back and look like you have been there before. No matter how much of a prick the opposing coach is, take the high road when possible.
  • There is still a ton of room for improvement on this team. I'm hopeful that the light went on at halftime last night for that defense, but I honestly think Pitt folded halfway through the 3rd Q.

• Pitt is the worst OOC opponent on the schedule, yet they still gashed PSU for 200 yards in the first half. Good news is adjustments were made and it did get better. I honestly thought after the first half it was going to be a repeat of 2 years ago...kudos to Pry and the defense for turning it up a few notches.
  • Doozi is toast, don't think they win a single ACC game this year to be honest. You have to recruit at least decent in a P5 conference and he recruits at non P5 level. He really needs to STFU and learn how to recruit or else he will finish up his career as a DC...which seems likely.
  • Hamler is just an insanely good football player. Sweeps, catches, Returns....does it all.
  • Noticed Hansard and E. Jordan out there a ton in the second half getting a lot of reps. Good news is they were not getting gashed and seemed to be out there on quite a few of the 3 and outs with Miller and Matos.
  • WR's for PSU need to have a gut check, all of them as a unit. If not you are going to see the younger guys sooner rather than later. JJ and Thompkins are supposed to be the leaders, but they continue to drop passes. I think it was around 7 drops last night...rough guess there.
  • Sanders is a really good RB, but he needs to do what he does best...north and south. Glad he gashed Pitt in his hometown.
  • Slade got a lesson last night...tough night with a wet ball...hopefully this makes him better down the line.
  • By the time we play tOSU, Parsons and Luketa will be seeing the majority of snaps IMO.
  • I love Franklin and the TD pass to Mac H was a big enough FU to Doozi who earned that one, no need at all for that last review though. I love he wants to compete on every play, but a 45 point lead and a minute to go...dial it back and look like you have been there before. No matter how much of a prick the opposing coach is, take the high road when possible.
  • There is still a ton of room for improvement on this team. I'm hopeful that the light went on at halftime last night for that defense, but I honestly think Pitt folded halfway through the 3rd Q.

Agree with everything you said.
I was shocked but pleasantly surprised the field held up as well as it did.
I was expecting a repeat of the LSU bowl game.

I'm going to give the WR's a mulligan because of the weather but c'mon guys do better.

Gilikin was back to being an NFL punter. He was awesome last night.
Shout out to Pinegar as well. Brutal conditions.

Even in the first half I didn’t really get the same feeling that I got in 2016. They were effective running the ball, but unlike 2016 you never got the feeling that Pickett was ever really going to be able to push the ball downfield or in the intermediate passing game at anywhere close to the level that Peterman was able to. Pitt put forth a pretty complete offensive effort in 2016, and even when they were effective running the ball we made them pretty one-dimensional from the opening whistle.

I think Pitt’s ineffectiveness throwing the ball wasn’t even something the staff expected. I think the staff came in with a gameplan that respected Pickett a little more than he deserved; once the staff adjusted and pinned their ears back to attack the run, their run game disappeared entirely.

I liked the challenge just as much as I liked icing the kicker against Georgia State. If you ask your kids to play hard the entire game, why should you not coach that way too. Plus I think it instills a little bit of trust with Slade that he was going to do everything he could to try to get that fumble off his stat line.

PSU had 390 yds vs Pitt 300 yds. That doesn't seem like enough of a spread for a 45 pt win.

PSU had 390 yds vs Pitt 300 yds. That doesn't seem like enough of a spread for a 45 pt win.
Pitt ran six more plays, had almost 100 more penalty yards, and were pinned deep in their own territory almost every drive. Penn State averaged two more yards per rushing attempt, and almost twice as many yards per passing attempt.

Reactions: Cosmos and royboy
Defense was bend but don’t break. Rushing yardage Pitt got in the first half was disappointing, but clamped down in the second.
WR’s had a bad night. Wet ball explains most of it, but not bad blocking. Ugh.

Pitt ran six more plays, had almost 100 more penalty yards, and were pinned deep in their own territory almost every drive. Penn State averaged two more yards per rushing attempt, and almost twice as many yards per passing attempt.
Great point. His team totally lacks discipline. Doozi runs his mouth before the game...Franklin does it during the game. That is the difference.

I liked the challenge just as much as I liked icing the kicker against Georgia State. If you ask your kids to play hard the entire game, why should you not coach that way too. Plus I think it instills a little bit of trust with Slade that he was going to do everything he could to try to get that fumble off his stat line.

I don’t “like” it and probably wouldn’t have done the challenge myself, but you know that at the end of the year some CFP selection committee suit could easily cite a small difference in turnover margin as one of the reasons that one 2-loss team was chosen over another — we are not going to be happy campers if we’re on the wrong end of that.

Also, in a few years, when Slade enters the draft, the number of fumbles on your college stat sheet will have some negative correlation to your contract size, I have to imagine without actually analyzing the data.

If Franklin is thinking along these lines I can’t really blame him.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Cosmos
Great points. Yes, pitt quit about half way through the third quarter. I wonder why? Did we hammer them physically like Paterno's teams used to do to pitt? Were they reacting to Narduzzi's antics? The pitt crowd started to leave about the time they quit. Were they reacting to lack of fan support?

To me the bottom line on this game is the athletic ability of the players. Penn State is stocked with 4 and 5 star elite athletes. This is the first year that pitt is stocked with Narducci's 2 and 3 star Akron level athletes. As the game wore on the athletic ability of the players dictated the results. Narducci sucks as a recruiter. He won't be at pitt much longer. He is to pitt football what Stallings was to pitt basketball. A good X's and O's guy who can't recruit.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Great points. Yes, pitt quit about half way through the third quarter. I wonder why? Did we hammer them physically like Paterno's teams used to do to pitt? Were they reacting to Narduzzi's antics? The pitt crowd started to leave about the time they quit. Were they reacting to lack of fan support?

Did they do their water bottle dance thing?

Reactions: BBrown
Biggest issue for me last night was how bad they were on 3rd down. The offense still needs some work to do and JJ needs to turn it up a notch. Still think the switch with Menet and McGovern is part of the problem with the oline. Hopefully that works itself out with more reps.

Reactions: Cosmos
Biggest issue for me last night was how bad they were on 3rd down. The offense still needs some work to do and JJ needs to turn it up a notch. Still think the switch with Menet and McGovern is part of the problem with the oline. Hopefully that works itself out with more reps.
A big part of that was the drops. There were a ton of catchable drops last night...yes the weather sucked, but some were very good throws. Trace should have been about 20-30 last night easily.

Agree. Franklin was squashing that pesky Pitt roach! Next year will be worse finally ending the series at 100 games!

I can't recall a game where there were so many face mask penalties by one team. And it wasn't like they released the grasp but rather held on and wrenched the neck of our players. Lucky no one had any serious injury. Not saying it was intentional but more often than not a player will release his hold once he has grabbed the face mask.

Punt returns, Muffed punt recovery, and short fields all night long. Like BBrown stated...Gilikin was back in a big way. The thing is Pitt had 240 in the first half...60 in the second.

Gilikin was huge.

Franklin said that the DEs weren't "spilling" in the first half. Says they were getting penetration but not "wrong shouldering" the tackles and getting taken out by the guards. He also mentioned that they went to more basic formations. It looked to me that they lined up more 4-3 instead of 5-2 and that made a big difference.

Tackles:
7 Givens
7 Parsons
5 J. Johnson
4 Brown
1 Farmer

A big part of that was the drops. There were a ton of catchable drops last night...yes the weather sucked, but some were very good throws. Trace should have been about 20-30 last night easily.

Yea the dropped passes, especially by Johnson and Thompkins is concerning. I'm hoping it was just the weather but Hammler didn't seem to have any trouble. My God that kid is fun to watch.

I can't recall a game where there were so many face mask penalties by one team. And it wasn't like they released the grasp but rather held on and wrenched the neck of our players. Lucky no one had any serious injury. Not saying it was intentional but more often than not a player will release his hold once he has grabbed the face mask.

Agree and the refs missed at least 2 others on the pitt team.
Last week it was "cut blocks" this week it was "facemarks".
Maybe the coaches on the board can explain but I thought maybe thats what happens when you have slow guys trying to catch or contain fast guys. Just reaching out and grabbing anything they can.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and psuken
Gilikin was huge.

Franklin said that the DEs weren't "spilling" in the first half. Says they were getting penetration but not "wrong shouldering" the tackles and getting taken out by the guards. He also mentioned that they went to more basic formations. It looked to me that they lined up more 4-3 instead of 5-2 and that made a big difference.

Tackles:
7 Givens
7 Parsons
5 J. Johnson
4 Brown
1 Farmer

Gilikin was excellent, especially considering the weather.
Farmer will be 2nd string by the Illinois game.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Only quibble I have is this:
Doozi is toast, don't think they win a single ACC game this year to be honest.

Pitt will win a few. The conference is looking really weak over the first few weeks.

Reactions: BBrown
Only quibble I have is this:
Doozi is toast, don't think they win a single ACC game this year to be honest.

Pitt will win a few. The conference is looking really weak over the first few weeks.
The thing is....they really appear to be the weakest in a weak conference. They lack discipline and maybe they win 2 more games? They won't be UCF or ND....so maybe @Uva?

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
The thing is....they really appear to be the weakest in a weak conference. They lack discipline and maybe they win 2 more games? They won't be UCF or ND....so maybe @Uva?
They can't possibly be that bad. They'll beat UVa, Syracuse, North Carolina and Wake. Lose to Miami (who is pretty stinko with a terrible QB), the two Techs and ND.

Bowl or no bowl is going to depend on Duke. What a terrible position to be in where your whole season depends on a must-win game against Duke. All for the chance to play in the Military Bowl.

I do like their chances to be 1-3 though with Ga Tech next week followed by UCF.

Take away the long run by Ollison from out of the endzone and how do their stats look. I'll give them the first drive but after that they didnt do anything.

They can't possibly be that bad. They'll beat UVa, Syracuse, North Carolina and Wake. Lose to Miami (who is pretty stinko with a terrible QB), the two Techs and ND.

Bowl or no bowl is going to depend on Duke. What a terrible position to be in where your whole season depends on a must-win game against Duke. All for the chance to play in the Military Bowl.

I do like their chances to be 1-3 though with Ga Tech next week followed by UCF.

Syracuse is better than Pitt. They are 2-0 and are averaging 58 points a game. Pitt was shut out in the second half against Albany.

And here’s the ever elusive ‘offensive face mask’ in the wild (pic 1). Was this called? I missed the first half.

I put North Carolina on the list, as well, as a possible. Wake is also not out of the question.

Thought that they may have tightened things up after week one, but I must say that the PSU front 7 on defense is getting moved around and leaving space. App St. and Pitt had some wide gaps and open spaces in the pit. When the PSU D faces some big skilled o-lines in the B10 that could get ugly. Hoping that the playing time for the young players helps them adapt and create some chaos at the DL and LB levels.

Defense was bend but don’t break. Rushing yardage Pitt got in the first half was disappointing, but clamped down in the second.
WR’s had a bad night. Wet ball explains most of it, but not bad blocking. Ugh.

Here's the problem with the wet night excuse. Hamler didn't drop any balls. The one he "dropped" was definitely underthrown by Trace and a difficult catch. JJ dropped balls in week 1 also when it was dry and Thompkins...well, that spoke for himself. I think they can all improve and I have confidence in that happening but their performance yesterday spoke for itself.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Syracuse is better than Pitt. They are 2-0 and are averaging 58 points a game. Pitt was shut out in the second half against Albany.
Didn't realize that. If Cuse beats them they're looking at 4-8.

Hard to win the Heisman with 4-8. Although Notre Dame and Paul Horning managed it at 2-8. Some things never change.

LOL

You’re digging deep :)

PSU played much better in the second half but the game could have been a lot different if Pitt hadn't shot themselves in the foot so often. Missed XP, missed FG, dropped punt, and 14 penalties for 116 yards.

I felt bad for Slade. The first fumble could have happened to Saquan Barkley or anyone. The Pitt defender simply had a perfect hit on the football and the wet conditions compounded things. It happens. As for the second called fumble, that one I don't understand. The replay showed Slade was down (elbow, knee, and hip) when the ball was ripped out of his hands, yet the officials didn't overturn the call after watching the replay. Makes me wonder if the officials were kind of sticking it to Franklin for requesting a review when his team was up by 45 points with :50 left in the game.

Give Rahne credit for getting a lot out of the running game and points without any down field threat. I agree that further stone hands by the starters will bring on Shorter and Dotson. I think it smart that coach is saving their four games for when we need them most thus giving him the option of blowing their red shirt if we continue to lack down field receiving.

Serious? Or TIC?

Both, in a way. I think they’re fairly ridiculous rationales but not technically incorrect — and also think Franklin is detail oriented enough (the guy alphabetizes his kitchen cabinets and makes sure all labels are facing out...) to think this way. No idea what he said about it postgame, he must have been asked.

Disagree with your "first point" (and find it amusing that your "first thought" is so typically "Eeyore style" over-the-top negative even in a 51-6 win....quite the "PSU fan" lmfao!). Just as Blackledge pointed out - PSU's defense is "playing it's way" into being an outstanding defense - the defense played outstanding in the 2nd Half while ASWP was still in the game. IOW, the defense came out and executed on all cylinders and completely stuffed ASWP every way possible including having them going backwards on several drives such as the safety.

ASWP was not able to consistently run the ball as you claim in the first half - as evidenced by the fact that they could not get the ball in the endzone after their 1st TD drive on their 2nd possession of the game despite moving the ball deep into PSU territory on multiple drives off the back of big SINGLE plays given up by PSU. As Todd Blackledge also pointed out, PSU's defense features a lot of talent, but it is going to take them some time to "gel" and eliminate mistakes, missed-assignments, etc... because there are so many new starters on the defense (especially along the Front 7). This is especially true because of the lack of real-game action and preponderance of non-contact drills in preseason training. It means that PSU's defense is going to make exponential improvement as they see more-&-more action at true "game speed" (defense will gel, players will take better angles, players will have better synergy with one-another, etc....).

Again, ASWP continually stalling-out after big plays that took them deep into PSU territory is strong evidence that they COULD NOT run the ball consistently on PSU's Defense, but did gash them for some big plays which went for naught as ASWP's special teams are so bad they completely abandoned even attempting a FG from the 3 yard line! If ASWP was able to run the ball so easily and consistently as you claim, why didn't they simply pound the ball into the endzone on any of these drives deep into PSU territory???

The reality is that the vast majority of ASWP's 1st Half running yardage came off a couple plays - half of it came off of the long runs by ASWP's WR on ASWP's 2nd Drive and Ollisons long run on ASWP's 4th drive. Ollison 119 yards on 21 carries for the game (5.7 ypc) - however, 68 of those yards were on one carry during ASWP's 4th possession in the first half where he ran the ball from his own 4 yard line deep into PSU territory at the PSU 28 yard line (68 yard run). But importantly, he was easily caught from behind (i.e., slow) and ASWP's drive stalled specifically because they couldn't run the ball consistently or do anything with the great field position resulting from the big play (opposite of what you claim and try to imply that ASWP was running the ball at will on PSU in 1st Half and controlling LOS - they weren't, as their inability to score outside of their 2nd possession of the game PROVES quite dramatically!). Sans that one rush by Ollison that ended up resulting in zero points precisely because ASWP couldn't run the ball consistently, Ollison gained 50 yards on 20 carries (2.5 ypc), but this is strong evidence according to you of how dominating and consistent ASWP's running game was??? LMFAO, no I don't agree that we got dominated at the LOS in the 1st half - ASWP ripped off some big runs due to some "growing pains" on the defensive side of the ball, but was absolutely unable to consistently move the ball AFTER the big play outside of their 2nd possession (IOW, diameteic opposite of a dominating run game as evidenced by all the possessions flaming out after a big play took them into PSU territory - one of those big plays in 1st half being a turnover in PSU territory that ASWP was able to do nothing with! Why were they able to do nothing with this field position and got zero points if they were able to run at will on PSU??? Mighty strange - could you explain oh great sage of football??? LMFAO!).

More than anything else, the 2nd Half demonstrated that this PSU Defense is beginning to gel and "come of age" (i.e., playing their way into a good defense just as Todd Blackledge said), but you entirely skipped that part of the story - go figure! Again LMFAO!

Here's the problem with the wet night excuse. Hamler didn't drop any balls. The one he "dropped" was definitely underthrown by Trace and a difficult catch. JJ dropped balls in week 1 also when it was dry and Thompkins...well, that spoke for himself. I think they can all improve and I have confidence in that happening but their performance yesterday spoke for itself.
Hamilton had four drops in the opener last year against Akron and many posters were calling for him to get benched. They’ll get better.

Good summation of all the completely obvious points from this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT