ADVERTISEMENT

Some fun - PSU at Iowa 2017 Trace was incredible.

There has never been a PSU QB with more pocket awareness and "down the field" awareness than Trace McSorley. He had "it", something that can't really be taught. You are either born with it or not.
Completely agree. If you put his heart and it factor into a strong armed and accurate passer, then that is a quality NFL QB.

Trace played about the worst first 58 minutes possible in that game, then on that last drive just completely turned a switch.

That play where he avoided the rush, headed toward the sideline, then found JJ slipping behind the secondary was a thing of beauty.

Not much to do with Trace, but IMO one of Barkley’s most underrated plays of his career was on that drive from roughly the 30 yard line. He took a pass in the backfield and literally had no angle because Jewell had positioned himself so well in man to man. Barkley pulled that slight hesitation move and stalled Jewell just enough to be able to slip down the sideline down to the 10 yard line. That play set up the final sequence to win the game. It was such a satisfying win after thinking we would lose. Based on the stats, we should’ve won that game by 30.

Trace played about the worst first 58 minutes possible in that game, then on that last drive just completely turned a switch.

That play where he avoided the rush, headed toward the sideline, then found JJ slipping behind the secondary was a thing of beauty.

Not much to do with Trace, but IMO one of Barkley’s most underrated plays of his career was on that drive from roughly the 30 yard line. He took a pass in the backfield and literally had no angle because Jewell had positioned himself so well in man to man. Barkley pulled that slight hesitation move and stalled Jewell just enough to be able to slip down the sideline down to the 10 yard line. That play set up the final sequence to win the game. It was such a satisfying win after thinking we would lose. Based on the stats, we should’ve won that game by 30.

Hate to burst your bubble but Trace didn't turn on a switch. Iowa abandoned the defense is used for the first 58 minutes and threw the kitchen sink at Barkley which allowed Trace to look like a solid QB for the remainder of the game. Iowa lost the game. The fact of the matter is, if not for a few super human plays by Barkley, we lose the game by four TDs we were that badly outplayed.

Hate to burst your bubble but Trace didn't turn on a switch. Iowa abandoned the defense is used for the first 58 minutes and threw the kitchen sink at Barkley which allowed Trace to look like a solid QB for the remainder of the game. Iowa lost the game. The fact of the matter is, if not for a few super human plays by Barkley, we lose the game by four TDs we were that badly outplayed.
Badly outplayed? Huh? Problem was we didn’t score when we should of. Take a look at the stat line.

Wow. Seriously. Talk out your ass much?

Wallace has to be a troll, how has he lasted this long? I have never heard worse/more negative posts from anyone else on this board.

Reactions: WDLion
Wallace has to be a troll, how has he lasted this long? I have never heard worse/more negative posts from anyone else on this board.
He just makes stuff up, throws it out as fact and hopes no one calls BS. Once someone disproves his BS, it’s either crickets or he moves the bar. Then he shows up in another thread slinging the same BS.

👎

Getting back to reality, Penn State was the better team that night, which is not to say iowa was bad. They had a stout defense. Penn State moved the ball downfield all night long, and it obviously wasn’t all Barkley. McSorley played very well. Credit to iowa’s defense for getting their arms up to deflect passes, as a defense should, and further credit to them for tightening up in the red zone.

Of course, Penn State came through in the red zone when it mattered most. McSorley was brilliant on that drive. He made some big throws and made a key run for a first down. As others have said, he just had a feel for the game. Big-time player.

Reactions: bison13
Today kids, we're going to learn what a dumb post looks like.....

He just makes stuff up, throws it out as fact and hopes no one calls BS. Once someone disproves his BS, it’s either crickets or he moves the bar. Then he shows up in another thread slinging the same BS.

Pot meet kettle. Go watch the game film. We were three Barkley plays from being blown out.
Good call MJG. Wally's "badly outplayed" claim was disproven by the stats. Then he moves the bar to claim it was just three Barkley plays which kept the game from being a blow out. Since we can cherry pick, I'll say it would have been a blow out in our favor if it wasn't for Iowa's RB keeping them in the game.

.......The fact of the matter is, if not for a few super human plays by Barkley, we lose the game by four TDs we were that badly outplayed.
I gotta admit, you sure do know your football.

The Hawkeyes had 273 yards of total offense. Penn State had 579.

Iowa was 3 for 11 on third downs.

Penn State had the ball for nearly 40 minutes.

Iowa had 11 first downs. Penn State had 29.

Total Hawkeye dominance, pure and simple. You a coach or something? If you don't have a blog, you should.

Last edited:
I gotta admit, you sure do know your football.

The Hawkeyes had 273 yards of total offense. Penn State had 579.

Iowa was 3 for 11 on third downs.

Penn State had the ball for nearly 40 minutes.

Iowa had 11 first downs. Penn State had 29.

Total Hawkeye dominance, pure and simple. You a coach or something? If you don't have a blog, you should.
Fantasy football stats are just that, fantasy. They are essentially meaningless. Iowa had nearly a perfect game plan that night. If they had been able to execute on a handful of defensive plays where they had the right play call, they win by three scores. Iowa played Iowa football which is rarely pretty but usually very effective. They spied Barkley with one guy until the last drive instead of the normal two which everyone else used and refused to get caught up in the trap of committing a safety and waited for the mistakes regardless of yards. The game plan was remarkably similar to the one USC adopted in the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl the year before. For reasons unknown they dumped their defensive game plan on the last series of the game in favor of what was a more traditional approach to defending #26 which opened up the passing lanes given Trace easy throws. I am very happy they did this because we won. You can keep drinking the kool-aid and relying on meaningless fantasy statistics for all I care. I am just pointing out the obvious. You just don't like what I have to say.

Fordon Wallace has exactly two arguments, and they can be applied to any and every situation and post that he makes online: (1) Trace was bad; (2) Bill O'Brien is better than James Franklin. But, to be honest, argument (1) fits into argument (2), which is where all of the "Hack was better than Trace" arguments come from.

Fantasy football stats are just that, fantasy. They are essentially meaningless. Iowa had nearly a perfect game plan that night. If they had been able to execute on a handful of defensive plays where they had the right play call, they win by three scores. Iowa played Iowa football which is rarely pretty but usually very effective. They spied Barkley with one guy until the last drive instead of the normal two which everyone else used and refused to get caught up in the trap of committing a safety and waited for the mistakes regardless of yards. The game plan was remarkably similar to the one USC adopted in the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl the year before. For reasons unknown they dumped their defensive game plan on the last series of the game in favor of what was a more traditional approach to defending #26 which opened up the passing lanes given Trace easy throws. I am very happy they did this because we won. You can keep drinking the kool-aid and relying on meaningless fantasy statistics for all I care. I am just pointing out the obvious. You just don't like what I have to say.
Jewell was spying Barkley the entire final drive.

I love when people say that this or that would have happened if they "only executed". It's football, stuff happens. You could more easily point to our lack of execution (given the statistical dominance) for the reason why we didn't blow them out. They only had 11 first downs. It's hard to say they would have blown us out by 4 TD's if Barkley didn't make 3 or 4 great plays. A couple of those plays happened on the same drive so how do they cost Iowa multiple touchdowns?

Reactions: BBrown
Jewell was spying Barkley the entire final drive.

I love when people say that this or that would have happened if they "only executed". It's football, stuff happens. You could more easily point to our lack of execution (given the statistical dominance) for the reason why we didn't blow them out. They only had 11 first downs. It's hard to say they would have blown us out by 4 TD's if Barkley didn't make 3 or 4 great plays. A couple of those plays happened on the same drive so how do they cost Iowa multiple touchdowns?
Dude. He’s a moron. Don’t waste your time.

Reactions: wilbury and BBrown
giphy.gif

Pot meet kettle. Go watch the game film. We were three Barkley plays from being blown out.
I don't know what game you were watching, but PSU had 579 yards of total offense to Iowa's 273, and 85 of Iowa's yards came on one running play. That hardly says that we were close to being blown out. We were dominating except on the scoreboard.

Shouldn't the "open passing lanes" have been more readily available when Iowa was using 2 guys on Barkley vs the final drive where they went to 1?

Or am I misunderstood?

Fantasyland isn't a good place to dwell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT