ADVERTISEMENT

So has anyone taken a flight since lockdown?

I am amazed how many are still flying in to State College - I live under the short final and every time I’m out with the dog a plane is coming in.

I was thinking about going somewhere over spring break but by late February the writing was on the wall - no way you’d find me on a plane anytime soon.

Reactions: Lion84
My son and I have a flight Manchester, NH to BWI on April 26th to visit my mom and dad during my son's April break. A little under $200 each way for me, my son flies free with me under my companion pass. I had booked these months ago. I called a few days ago and pushed it back to April 29th to give a few more days for decision making. With the difference in fares I got a credit of about $150 per flight!!! I have plenty of masks and hand sanitizer. As of now we are planning on going but will make the decision much closer to the time.

Sister in law just flew from FL to CA. about 7 people on the flight and virtually no one in the airport. I would assume you have a better chance of catching COVID in a super market or any other public place. No food and beverage service on the flight and they space the passengers out as much as possible.

I’m usually on planes 3 out of 4 weeks each month for work, but haven’t traveled now since March 10. Expect it will be at least 2 more months before I’m back on a plane.

Im living in your world. My last business trip ended March 7th (CLT). Have not been near a plane or an airport since. Had a friend fly LAX to Vegas recently. He says their were eight passengers on the plane.

Im living in your world. My last business trip ended March 7th (CLT). Have not been near a plane or an airport since. Had a friend fly LAX to Vegas recently. He says their were eight passengers on the plane.
I have a flight scheduled from PHL - LAX end of May, so was wondering what the situation was like to travel - it could all be cleared up by then, but not sure. It's a pleasure trip - not work related - so it's no requirement I travel.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Airports and flights are near empty. No wait at security, and 8-10 people on a 737. Some airports like Hong Kong, Incheon, Taipei, DFW, LAX, have aircraft parked on taxiways with the engines covered. I just flew through CLT on my way to MIA......both places are empty.

I usually fly about twice a month, but haven’t been since last week of Feb. I have a business flight for the end of June, and I’d say I’m 51/49 toward going at this point with the mask and sanitizer. My brother is a pilot for American, and he’s still working but says his schedule is rearranged daily with cancellations.

Same here - it feels weird not to be away at least every other week - unfortunately I may have to make up for it in the fall. I only fly American (PHL) so it was nice they extended my status for another year.

Hey Ro - whatever became of that trip overseas you were taking with that co-worker who wanted you to pay for her airfare. Did it happen and any "good" followup stories? Asking for a friend.

Not me, but the owner of my company flies back and forth between his home in Florida and Philly every other week. In our last video call he told us that he felt safer on a plane than in a supermarket.

Hey Ro - whatever became of that trip overseas you were taking with that co-worker who wanted you to pay for her airfare. Did it happen and any "good" followup stories? Asking for a friend.
That was scheduled for July. I was supposed to go to the British Open but that got cancelled I was also to go to Greece At this point I am not sure what I will do.
She backed out altogether due to the virus.

Reactions: Fac
I would take advantage of this and do some traveling, however, there's no point in doing pleasure traveling right now because everything is closed down anyway. Argh. I'm half tempted to book airfare for July at these outrageous prices and hope that things begin to open up by then, but who knows. I see flights from BWI to South America for about $500 round trip, I'm very tempted.

Some on the board that know me....and I did share some of the news about my wife's current battle with Cancer (she is still doing very well), we fly from Nashville to go to Jefferson Hospital in Philly every 3 weeks or so.....returned from Philly this morning. 5 customers on the flight.....3 flight attendants and 2 pilots.......multiple American and Southwest flights were cancelled, had to connect in Charlotte going to Philly direct flight back this morning...... If your flight is not cancelled, it is the easiest time that I have ever flown. No one is in the parking lot. TSA are all sitting around and talking waiting for customers to go through screening......most of the restaraunts are closed.......all of the bars are closed.......they call your flight to board and basically they tell everyone to board when they want.......And the flights are cheap....flight from PHL to Nashville this morning $57 per person.....

I would take advantage of this and do some traveling, however, there's no point in doing pleasure traveling right now because everything is closed down anyway. Argh. I'm half tempted to book airfare for July at these outrageous prices and hope that things begin to open up by then, but who knows. I see flights from BWI to South America for about $500 round trip, I'm very tempted.

I got a R/T from PHL-LAX for $78. End of May. So if things open up on the ground it should be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Live in Colorado Springs and work in healthcare in Norcal wine country. Have been flying every 2 - 2.5 weeks with very little issues. My direct got canceled so now I connect in SFO.

Missed out on the family get-together over Easter so we're going to try over Memorial Day weekend. Got $150 refunded from original ticket. From the mathematician that I follow that's been charting everything he seems to think that almost all states will be three sigma past Peak by then.

where is the championship game being played next year? I am booking today in hopes of PSU making it..............

Reactions: bison13
We have a flight scheduled from Myrtle to SC in middle of June. Probably need to move the flight.

Gambit Air is still offering its "thrill of a lifetime" flights from most major airports. If you are interested and have 12 million dollars in small, unmarked bills, and are also willing to sign a 250 page liability waiver, have your people call my people.:)

on-the-wing-1.jpg

I have not flown since March 15. The Atlanta airport was a ghost town for a Sunday evening. The TSA precheck had 1 person in front of me. My flight to WB/S was only a third full, had my own row. That flight is usually sold out.

Missed out on the family get-together over Easter so we're going to try over Memorial Day weekend. Got $150 refunded from original ticket. From the mathematician that I follow that's been charting everything he seems to think that almost all states will be three sigma past Peak by then.
You talking about Dr Fraud? The guy whose first three predictions on total USA deaths were 1,400 then 3,200 then 6,000?

You talking about Dr Fraud? The guy whose first three predictions on total USA deaths were 1,400 then 3,200 then 6,000?
No a guy who got it right from the beginning saying around 50k. Basically says by may 1 we have less than .02 % chance of getting it

Was scheduled to go to Amsterdam in May for MahlerFest 2020, 100th anniversary of the first MahlerFest in 1920. Have about 400 euros in tickets I have to try and get refunded.

Flying again June 11-15 BWI. Grabbed our Orlando tickets for 12/26-01/02 today, will pick up Thanksgiving plane tickets later tonight. Probably grab some tickets for July and August for BWI to visit my parents again.

I’m usually on planes 3 out of 4 weeks each month for work, but haven’t traveled now since March 10. Expect it will be at least 2 more months before I’m back on a plane.
Yup, March 10th they told me no more flying and haven't been since but August I'll be back on at the latest. Wife is allowed to fly to Georgia and Florida June 13th. I may join her?

Headed to Vancouver for work June 7-10.
Headed to Phoenix/Tempe June 13 with my son to look for a place for him to live when he starts at ASU in August.

Took five flights last week. IAH to Boston. Boston to Charlotte. Charlotte to Pit. Erie to Charlotte. Charlotte to IAH. IAH was dead on Sunday morning. Kinda sad. Boston was dead as well. Charlotte was packed. IAH was dead when I got back on Thursday night.

All good. Still healthy. Knock on wood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT