ADVERTISEMENT

Smith-Schuster & Iloka got a game each

I think an over-reaction to Gruden/McDonough. I thought
Gronk deserved his. Not these two.

I usually think all of the criticism on Goddell is over hyped, however, I think the NFL really needs to look at its discipline in this case and compare what Gronk did to what Shuster did.

Gronk maliciously went after a guy that was down, after the play was over and intended to inflict pain on a guy.
Shuster blocked a guy hard, he did that during the game, and in a way that players have always done things. It is one thing to flag him for that or fine him, but the same suspension as a dude who tried to hit a guy and drove his forearm into his head, this makes no sense.

I think an over-reaction to Gruden/McDonough. I thought
Gronk deserved his. Not these two.

<Disclaimer>This post is written by a Pats fan.</Disclaimer>

I agree that Gronk deserved his for the cheap-factor in the hit: the play was over, the player he hit was down, he hit the player in the head and it was basically a temper tantrum.

I think Smith-Schuster and Iloka both deserve suspensions for the risk of injury to all of the players involved. Both hits were at full speed and involved the suspended players using their helmet as a weapon. The player being hit in the head is at significant risk for a concussion. Go back and look at the play where Shazier was hurt last night to see what can happen when you are leading with your helmet.

With all of the publicity and litigation around concussions, the NFL has to go out of their way to penalize shots to the head.

<Disclaimer>This post is written by a Pats fan.</Disclaimer>

I agree that Gronk deserved his for the cheap-factor in the hit: the play was over, the player he hit was down, he hit the player in the head and it was basically a temper tantrum.

I think Smith-Schuster and Iloka both deserve suspensions for the risk of injury to all of the players involved. Both hits were at full speed and involved the suspended players using their helmet as a weapon. The player being hit in the head is at significant risk for a concussion. Go back and look at the play where Shazier was hurt last night to see what can happen when you are leading with your helmet.

With all of the publicity and litigation around concussions, the NFL has to go out of their way to penalize shots to the head.

Smith-Shuster was not using his helmet as a weapon on that hit. Other than that I'm okay with the argument.

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
Smith-Shuster was not using his helmet as a weapon on that hit. Other than that I'm okay with the argument.
Just re-watched the Smith-Schuster hit and I agree. I think there was some helmet-to-helmet contact but it was if anything the side of Smith-Schuster's helmet, not the crown. The impact came more from the shoulder/upper body than from the helmet.

Went back and looked at it again, and it looked to be shoulder to shoulder at the contact point. JuJu should be fined for taunting and upping the tension in the game, but not for the hard, clean hit. Whether or not it was a hit on a known out of control player on not.

Last edited:
Went back and looked at it again, and the shoulder to shoulder in the contact point. JuJu should be fined for taunting and upping the tension in the game, but not for the hard, clean hit. Whether or not it was it hit on a known out of control player on not.

Legal good hit. Suspension for grandstanding over him I guess.

Legal good hit. Suspension for grandstanding over him I guess.

A fine for taunting and even that is somewhat questionable in light other incidents not addressed. It seemed he was more celebrating
The hard hit than taunting, but a fine for even that is appropriate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT