ADVERTISEMENT

Smith calls out Mouse?

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
If he actually said this -- and that poster is typically reliable (and questioned the comments himself) -- it's a real a-hole move on Smith's part. Not to mention factually incorrect and ignorant of the rules.

John indicated some disgust or disappointment with the 184 pound match at Penn State. He indicated that Matt McCutcheon has injury defaulted in 6 matches this year all of which he is losing. John indicated and most people I talked to and me all felt it was fixing to get a lot worse for McCutcheon before he defaulted. Nolan was just working up a head of steam when he defaulted. According to John McCutcheon does not sustain a loss on his record and Nolan does not get credited for a win. This is BS in my opinion. I thought if you stepped on the mat and wrestled and then defaulted it was a loss for you and a win for the opponent.

https://oklahomastate.forums.rivals.com/threads/johns-radio-show-last-night.38320/

Reactions: PSU-Knocker
The balance of power has shifted and Smitty represents the Austro-Hungarian Empire circa 1913.

He's feeling the heat and it's going to get hotter. No more plucking who he wants from the Commonwealth without a fight.

Reactions: amalone
The balance of power has shifted and Smitty represents the Austro-Hungarian Empire circa 1913.

He's feeling the heat and it's going to get hotter. No more plucking who he wants from the Commonwealth without a fight.

No more Jordan Oliver free-bies.

Reactions: lionlover
All the statements are second-hand (or maybe worse). Until I see some direct quotes, Smith gets the benefit of doubt from me.

Hard to believe Smith (& staff) don't understand the W/L rules regarding the difference between an "Injury Default" and "Medical Forfeit". Obviously, the difference is whether the match started, or not, in regards to it counting on W/L record. Given the ridiculous nature of these comments, I have to agree with you in regards to "benefit of the doubt". Why would Smith care, or make such commets, Boyd received the maximum 6 match points due to the "Injury Default"?

Last edited:
If he actually said this -- and that poster is typically reliable (and questioned the comments himself) -- it's a real a-hole move on Smith's part. Not to mention factually incorrect and ignorant of the rules.

https://oklahomastate.forums.rivals.com/threads/johns-radio-show-last-night.38320/
I went over to the site and read the entire thread.
The level of "not knowing" the rules by the multiple posters actually made my head hurt.

I truly doubt Smith made any reference to Mac using the adjective disgust, or that Smith claimed Mac has 6 injury defaults, or that they do not count on the record.

I have to believe that somewhere between Smith actually spoke and the story was retold in that thread, several folks added/subtracted enough words to more likely reflect their knowledge and intelligence than Smith's.

Last edited:
One, that's not true about the record. And two, nothing about John Smith being a snide little piss ant would surprise me
Do not know much about the man other than his wrestling history.

Couple years ago Smith did something that just impressed me. David Taylor had just beaten Tyler Caldwell for his second title, wrapped up his second Hodge trophy and was acknowledging a very a loud and appreciative Oklahoma City NCAA crowd. While the post victory applause continued Smith patiently waited at the top of the steps leading up to, down from the stage. The rest of the Cowboy corner had disappeared through the tunnel, Smith stood there waiting while DT had him moment.
What was he waiting for? He patiently waited so he could make sure he got to shake David's hand and congratulate him.
Just impressed me.

Last edited:

Couple years ago Smith did something that just impressed me. David Taylor had just beat Tyler Caldwell for his second title, wrapped up his second Hodge trophy and was acknowledging a very a loud and appreciative Oklahoma City NCAA crowd. While the post victory applause continued Smith patiently waited at the top of the steps leading up to, down from the stage. The rest of the Cowboy corner had disappeared through the tunnel, Smith stood there waiting while DT had him moment.
What was he waiting for? He patiently waited so he could make sure he got to shake David's hand and congratulate him.
Just impressed me.
As it should, I was there too. Whatever John said on a radio is small potatoes, meaningless really.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I love John Smith. He was kicking Russian tail and taking names during his world title run and made the entire USA proud. Coach Smith traveled to small town Iowa to do a benefit clinic during wrestling season for a young man who was paralyzed from a freak accident. He did this all on his own dime. This happened the same year Cael won his first title at PSU. I can't speak too what he may have or may not have said about mouse, but it sure would surprise me if he would say such a thing. Smith is highly competitive, and this year hasn't went as he hoped I'm sure, so if he said something stupid this old fan will give the legend a pass. JMO

Reactions: JBott
All the statements are second-hand (or maybe worse). Until I see some direct quotes, Smith gets the benefit of doubt from me.

Anyone remember playing Chinese Whispers in grade school. The teacher whispers something to one kid and they pass it around the room and the last one says out loud what he/she heard and it is without fail not even close to the original message. Same thing happens in real life when you hear something 3rd or 4th hand.

Reactions: lionlover
I love John Smith. He was kicking Russian tail and taking names during his world title run and made the entire USA proud. Coach Smith traveled to small town Iowa to do a benefit clinic during wrestling season for a young man who was paralyzed from a freak accident. He did this all on his own dime. This happened the same year Cael won his first title at PSU. I can't speak too what he may have or may not have said about mouse, but it sure would surprise me if he would say such a thing. Smith is highly competitive, and this year hasn't went as he hoped I'm sure, so if he said something stupid this old fan will give the legend a pass. JMO

Smith is highly competitive, and this year hasn't went as he hoped I'm sure, so if he said something stupid this old fan will give the legend a pass.

My feelings and we're not even sure what he really said.

He is an intensively competitive person. Penn State hosted the Cliff Keen National Duals at the Bryce Jordan Center in 2001. I was working the tables and ended up at one that had 3 of Okie State's matches. I had to get the coaches' signatures after each match. For the first two Coach Smith was affable and easy to get to sign. The last match with Okie State at our table was against ISU. Even though Okie State won that semi, something about the match really bugged him. He was so deep in thought after the match that I couldn't get his attention to sign the card. He started walking away and I finally had to practically yell his name to get his attention. I can see the stare he gave me now. He looked at me like he wanted to kick my a$$. He signed and just kept staring at me as he handed it to me. I smiled a little, thanked him and walked away. Never forget that stare. The look of one tough, competitive, SOB.

I greatly respect John Smith, one of the greatest (not just American) international wrestlers of all time.

Last edited:
If he quoted those stats I'm guessing he got them from somebody he trusted. He certainly knows the difference in W/L records. I'm in the nothing to see here crowd.

Reactions: T J
a number of years ago, i worked in a commercial laundry in state college. the owner's mother who worked there part time told me this story.her son had been dating a mormon woman for awhile. the mother told someone there that her son and the woman were going to get married.in about 30 minutes this info made the rounds around the plant about 40 to 50 employees. someone approached the mother visibly upset and said oh my god your son is marrying a moron. beware of rumors.

Reactions: SRATH and lionlover

Couple years ago Smith did something that just impressed me. David Taylor had just beaten Tyler Caldwell for his second title, wrapped up his second Hodge trophy and was acknowledging a very a loud and appreciative Oklahoma City NCAA crowd. While the post victory applause continued Smith patiently waited at the top of the steps leading up to, down from the stage. The rest of the Cowboy corner had disappeared through the tunnel, Smith stood there waiting while DT had him moment.
Just impressed me.
John Smith is a first class guy period.Countless times he has gotten in his car and driven to little towns across the country to help at various fund raisers( including Iowa) so you need to know what you are talking about before bad mouthing this guy.

Last edited:
John Smith is a first class guy period.Countless times he has gotten in his car and driven to little towns across the country to help at various fund raisers( including Iowa) so you need to know what you are talking about before bad mouthing this guy.
Amen to this. John is one of the best person I have ever meant. Yes he is very competitive what would you expect from a former NCAA champ and world GOLD WINNER . Don't believe this story one bit.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Amen to this. John is one of the best person I have ever meant. Yes he is very competitive what would you expect from a former NCAA champ and world GOLD WINNER . Don't believe this story one bit.
Yeah, I can't envision any college coach with at least four years coaching experience saying anything like this. Some may think it, but PR will prevent them from stating it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT