ADVERTISEMENT

Sixteen Days To Kill! Meet A Real Viking Woman Warrior!

DavidM

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2002
Annapolis, MD
Asa was a young woman who avenged a personal assault, was forced to become a warrior and leader during her family’s travels, and ultimately became responsible for defending Birka, one of the great Viking trade centers. This actual Norse woman made her mark during a violent time.

A Viking burial found on the Swedish island of Birka, identified as Bj.581, contained what was recently identified as the remains of a woman warrior and leader. What was found there confirmed that she was female and presented herself as such. Testing also suggested that she traveled a lot when she was young. What we cannot know for sure is how she grew into the role which typically was filled by men in the Norse culture.

This story is a riveting but plausible reconstruction of her life during a turbulent time in European and human history. It provides a realistic context based on our limited knowledge of the period, and creates a sequence of events which could have led to her becoming the extraordinary woman that she surely came to be.

Fans of the fiction of Bernard Cornwell, Robert Low, and James L. Nelson will appreciate this historical novel. Mullaly’s first two novels deal with a later period of Viking history.

Amazon product ASIN B08KQDYQXN

FIFY

yh8KXMM.jpg

Tough one to pronounce.
Birka listen .... (Birca in medieval sources)
I meant Asa (with the o above it it's a gal, without it's a guy's name). Pronounced Oh-sah. Had a gal with that name (and pronounced it wrong the first time) on my co-rec soccer team. Div 1 quality player. Not a tall blonde type though, but quite nice. She was working as a local au pair and called the city soccer office to find a team, and we got lucky.

Funny story with that too. The brother and father of an old roomie of mine played on an opposing team. Asa was a pretty quite gal, but one day she let loose some loud Swedish at my buddy's brother during a game. What she didn't know was that my buddy's dad had married a Swede--and my buddy's brother spoke it, including the "naughty bits" as Python used to call it.

So next week (most of the team already knew), I asked her about the incident the previous week. I then said, Did you know his mom was Swedish?? She very quietly said "oh, my..." and blushed. One of the reddest faces I'd ever seen (one of the other ones was my old penpal, who had a streaker come out right next to her at the Vet back in the day).

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT