ADVERTISEMENT

Singleton tearing it up at All American Bowl practices....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Along with Allar, DDS, and Wylie, but this is a pretty high praise among an impressive group of peers....

ALPHA DOG: NICHOLAS SINGLETON, RB (Penn State)

The nation's No. 1 running back prospect once again excelled in a setting frequently regarded as not conducive to showcasing the position. Nevertheless, Singleton twice made lemonade out of lemons on two carries during inside run drills as he quickly realized he had nothing in the box and bounced to the perimeter, outrunning multiple defenders to the edge as he erased their advantageous pursuit angles. He continued to catch the ball well and scored on a wheel-route touchdown grab during red-zone 7-on-7 competition. Singleton simply plays at a different gear than the defenders chasing him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Along with Allar, DDS, and Wylie, but this is a pretty high praise among an impressive group of peers....

The nation's No. 1 running back prospect once again excelled in a setting frequently regarded as not conducive to showcasing the position. Nevertheless, Singleton twice made lemonade out of lemons on two carries during inside run drills as he quickly realized he had nothing in the box and bounced to the perimeter, outrunning multiple defenders to the edge as he erased their advantageous pursuit angles. He continued to catch the ball well and scored on a wheel-route touchdown grab during red-zone 7-on-7 competition. Singleton simply plays at a different gear than the defenders chasing him.

He is the #1 most important recruit we have. actually maybe he and the punter we have coming in and I'm not kidding.

He is the #1 most important recruit we have. actually maybe he and the punter we have coming in and I'm not kidding.

The thing I love about his film is the speed and decisiveness he hits the holes. I love a back that slows things down and lets the play unfold a bit, but with our offense, you simply don't have the time to do that.

The thing I love about his film is the speed and decisiveness he hits the holes. I love a back that slows things down and lets the play unfold a bit, but with our offense, you simply don't have the time to do that.
The current backs don't have the speed or the moves to wait and make things develop...Lee is a '2 step' back, if things don't develop within 2 lateral steps or moves, he needs to take it forward, hole or no hole.

He ain't running anywhere behind any Franklin o line.

He ain't running anywhere behind any Franklin
franklin better get him an OL
9 years tells you it won't happen.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
He ain't running anywhere behind any Franklin

9 years tells you it won't happen.
Yes, the OL isn't where they should be but damn if Barkey and Sanders had some good years....I still contend the problem is 30% line and 70% slow RB's and a QB that makes the decision too late weather to give or go.

Reactions: Psugo823
Yes, the OL isn't where they should be but damn if Barkey and Sanders had some good years....I still contend the problem is 30% line and 70% slow RB's and a QB that makes the decision too late weather to give or go.
I wish you were right

I wish you were right
I know I am right, yes the OL misses blocks but watch our mesh point and how long we ride the back. Also, watch when there is a hole which should be a 15-20 yard run and we get 5. If you have a back that is a threat to take it to the house on every play the CB and S have to cheat up a little bit because if it gets to them at full speed the back is gone. A defensive backfield drawn up just a few feet allow for a lot more of what we want to do.

Think about it. Right now our backs aren't fast enough to out run a DE, let alone a LB. Our backs rarely get tackled by defensive backs.

Reactions: royboy
I know I am right, yes the OL misses blocks but watch our mesh point and how long we ride the back. Also, watch when there is a hole which should be a 15-20 yard run and we get 5. If you have a back that is a threat to take it to the house on every play the CB and S have to cheat up a little bit because if it gets to them at full speed the back is gone. A defensive backfield drawn up just a few feet allow for a lot more of what we want to do.

Think about it. Right now our backs aren't fast enough to out run a DE, let alone a LB. Our backs rarely get tackled by defensive backs.
The reason we only get 5 yards is because lineman aren’t getting down field to block at the secondary line. They don’t block past the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: bison13
The way Singleton is described, it sounds like he resembles this:

Thanks for the reminder of that play. Might be the best run I've ever seen in college football.

FWIW, Singleton had track times that were better than Saquon in HS. Not to say Singleton will reach Saquon's level, but he seems to have the tools of size, speed, moves, acceleration, and determination.

I find it interesting in a post praising a running back recruit how many turn this into an opportunity to criticize Franklin. Words are powerful. You get what you speak.
You're basically talking about @Psugo823 , who has 3 posts in this thread. His "thoughts" are entirely predictable; many have found it better to put him on ignore.

Thanks for the reminder of that play. Might be the best run I've ever seen in college football.

FWIW, Singleton had track times that were better than Saquon in HS. Not to say Singleton will reach Saquon's level, but he seems to have the tools of size, speed, moves, acceleration, and determination.
Yep, that was the best run I have ever seen, at any level of football. Barkley made some pretty good athletes look like they were standing still on the cuts, and then out ran some others.

It also may be the run where the RB makes the most players on the defense get involved in the play, and all get beat by the same person. That running back....

And it is the poster play for what PSU, or any football team, is dreaming about as their feature running back. We all need to watch that play once in a while so we don't lower our standards and come to believe one of our current or near term RB's is in the same league as Saquon. Unless of course one really is.

Kind of like what I did for my two 20 something sons. They each seem to be having a hard time finding a spouse, which has been going on for a while. So I put a picture of my wife, their Mom, and I on my phone as the background, mainly showing my 20 something wife in a picture of us at a friends wedding shortly after we were married. I show it to them once in a while to remind them what they are looking for..... ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
The reason we only get 5 yards is because lineman aren’t getting down field to block at the secondary line. They don’t block past the line of scrimmage.
That's because we run the f'in spread and refuse to pull and run a lead back/H back up in there except for once or twice a game. When we do, which is not often, it usually goes for a big gain. Our guys can do it but system is dysfunctional.

That's because we run the f'in spread and refuse to pull and run a lead back/H back up in there except for once or twice a game. When we do, which is not often, it usually goes for a big gain. Our guys can do it but system is dysfunctional.
That’s not necessary true. We used TE’s and TE’s as H-backs to block. They were largely ineffective in blocking.

Reactions: rcy4499
So is the coaching advisory board officially stating that Yurich now stinks like the rest of the staff?

So is the coaching advisory board officially stating that Yurich now stinks like the rest of the staff?
No, but I think Franklin’s leadership of his coaching staff is bad. It’s clear that Franklin, Yurcich, and Trautwein are not on the same page. Depth and player development is also an issue.

Even on that run there was no hole.....Barkley gets the ball should be tackled at the line of scrimmage fakes a LB and a Safety in the hole then cuts back against the entire defense and scores......this year any of our backs get less than a 3 yard gain on that play. I do think that the scheme and blocking are a big part of the problem that Miles and Saquon hid with how good that they were in getting something out of very little blocking.

In the 80s and 90s we had tough dudes at OL and we lamented how backward our lifting schemes were.....now we have what appears to be excellent lifting regiments....and I am wondering is it the toughness of the dudes or the scheme that is lacking in opening holes....probably both.

Reactions: robmontour
Thanks. That's a backside view of "the run" that I've never seen before. It gives me a whole new reason to be amazed at how great Barkley was. So fun to watch.
And don't you love the sounds from the PSU fans as they cheer on Saquon??

Turn up the volume and watch it one more time!

Last edited:
No, but I think Franklin’s leadership of his coaching staff is bad. It’s clear that Franklin, Yurcich, and Trautwein are not on the same page. Depth and player development is also an issue.
So you can identify the problem from your vantage point at the keyboard.....yet these coaches can't. Amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT