ADVERTISEMENT

Silas Redd's Business Decision

I was so disappointed in Silas when he left. I understand what he’s saying about feeling that Joe and the players were not protected... but that was by the BOT and the university administration. I would hope that no player feels like that is who they’re playing for. They should be playing for their teammates, their coaches, and the Penn State family as a whole... none of whom were part of the bungled handling of this situation.

He was asked if he regretted transferring to USC? Hmmm. How can one regret meeting his future wife there and now they have a baby boy. I say it was a good business decision.:) Good for him.

It’s hard for me to criticize him too much. The NCAA set the system up to allow to him leave like he did. The school gave him every reason in the world to want to leave. The school’s administration bailed on the program and I can’t fault him for recognizing that and moving on with his life.

I was so disappointed in Silas when he left. I understand what he’s saying about feeling that Joe and the players were not protected... but that was by the BOT and the university administration. I would hope that no player feels like that is who they’re playing for. They should be playing for their teammates, their coaches, and the Penn State family as a whole... none of whom were part of the bungled handling of this situation.
He’s a Benedict Arnold. Just ask Mauti, McCloin, and Zordich...

There were adults (alumni) occupying positions of trust, who plotted to smear PSU, its FB program and JVP. They did this to protect themselves and their business interests. They then gave an average of 3 million dollars to each claimant, with little or no vetting. These agreements protected everyone at TSM, CYS and the SCUM on the BOT.Yeah, I'm gonna worry about Silas Redd.

Also very irritated Colin Cowherd was on ESPN lobbying for him to play for legendary coach Lane Kiffin and all-time great QB - Matt Barkley

Reactions: BBrown
It’s hard for me to criticize him too much. The NCAA set the system up to allow to him leave like he did. The school gave him every reason in the world to want to leave. The school’s administration bailed on the program and I can’t fault him for recognizing that and moving on with his life.
In a situation where most of the 'adults in the room' behaved in ways that did not stand the test of time, I find it harder to criticize any young adult than to praise the few that found the courage or wisdom to act in inspiring and contrasting (to the adults and organizational leaders) ways. My gut feeling is that the peers of these young adults are much more forgiving than the older and supposedly wiser ones.

Redd and Brown and a few others leaving was disappointing and frustrating at that time, and even now to an extent. Hearing Redd's story gives even more credibility to what an outstanding job Mauti and O'Brien and a handful of 21 year olds did under intense enemy and "friendly" fire to rally the troops and keep it all together.

Fester was a leader in title only. Same with the OGBOT, as it turned out. Fester was spreading so much BS that even some long-time athletic dept. staff and coaches were questioning what they had personally witnessed for decades. They pretty much all came around, though, as they figured him out and had to deal with his horrible style day after day.

I'm glad Redd called out Fester, as did Mauti in John Bacon's book. I give credit to O'Brien for his "fighter" mentality, and more to the players who coordinated the efforts to keep the core mostly intact. The laughable irony of Fester and Rodless honoring that team with the 2012 plaque on the stadium should never be lost on us.

I can forgive Redd and Brown and other players. Not so the OGBOT, the B1G, and the NCAA.

Last edited:
In a situation where most of the 'adults in the room' behaved in ways that did not stand the test of time, I find it harder to criticize any young adult than to praise the few that found the courage or wisdom to act in inspiring and contrasting (to the adults and organizational leaders) ways. My gut feeling is that the peers of these young adults are much more forgiving than the older and supposedly wiser ones.

I am sure some of them are and some of them are not. Interesting to see how Mauti and Zordich feel about him. As for me, I didn’t fault him or any other player for leaving given the circumstances. My biggest complaint then and to a lesser extent even now was all the articles about how the guys that left were doing at their new schools. Frankly I could care less and was more interested in hearing about how the kids who chose to weather the storm at PSU we’re doing.

I am sure some of them are and some of them are not. Interesting to see how Mauti and Zordich feel about him. As for me, I didn’t fault him or any other player for leaving given the circumstances. My biggest complaint then and to a lesser extent even now was all the articles about how the guys that left were doing at their new schools. Frankly I could care less and was more interested in hearing about how the kids who chose to weather the storm at PSU we’re doing.
Can't blame the kid at all, real reason he transferred was to get what he thought would be a better shot at the league. Not checking but I thought he may have gone undrafted and played a few years with the Skins; if so, how much $$$ could he have made. Most importantly, did he get a degree from either school and from a "business" perspective, what is he doing now. I think the WR who transferred to Oklahoma came back to PSU for his degree,

I still can’t believe there are people who go to sleep each night whose last thought is about the scandal.....only to wake up and have their first thought be about the scandal.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Can't blame the kid at all, real reason he transferred was to get what he thought would be a better shot at the league. Not checking but I thought he may have gone undrafted and played a few years with the Skins; if so, how much $$$ could he have made. Most importantly, did he get a degree from either school and from a "business" perspective, what is he doing now. I think the WR who transferred to Oklahoma came back to PSU for his degree,
He made a little over 750k in two seasons. He also collected $ from an insurance policy when he went undrafted after getting hurt.

If he feels he's at a good place in his life then he made the right decision. That's not to say he would have wound up in a bad place had he stayed at Penn State. If he stayed for the 2012 season he would have been the man in the backfield. I firmly believe he would have had a monster year and cemented himself as a Nittany Lion legend. Instead he went to USC where he was just part of a rotation. I doubt many Trojan fans reminisce about Redd's playing days there. But, as I wrote above, all that matters is where he is today. He's happy so good on him.

Was business booming after the decision? Did you respect his decision? Did he make the right decision?

I’m OK with his decision. None of us will ever know his inner thinking and the competing factors. I wondered what he would say about Joe. He defended Joe. Good for him.

Reactions: BBrown

that is the issue. only he can say whether he came out ahead or not. from a FB standpoint, I actually think he made a mistake. I think it was like 8-9 transferred, who might have had impact on the Bill OB 2012 team. had they all stayed an 8-4 team may have actually been a 9 or 10 win team. actually many would have been better off in terms of NFL position. hard to believe that Redd would have been worse off by staying. At the time, it was hard to tell, so these guys took the easy road. many players underestimate what they are going to get into by transferring. grass is not always greener - and who says you are going to just go in and take over a position.

is Redd better off in life based on his decision, only he can say. the fact he has been asked sort of indicates others see his FB biz decision may have been a mistake.

I wish this were more true for many fans, but all I have to do is read a thread about Christian Hackenberg to know it isn’t.
In fairness, most of the discussion about Hackenberg is about his ability (except for the occasional discussion of his not thanking a Franklin). There is a massive divide between two schools of thought on his ability.

fe02e6d88ae6dad0a95c4d9a9c32fa78.jpg

His transfer was about his NFL shot. He took it. USC at that point was a better path to the NFL. I’ll never fault a kid for giving it his all. Redd did that. Football didn’t work out, but he won’t grow old saying “what if?”

I wish this were more true for many fans, but all I have to do is read a thread about Christian Hackenberg to know it isn’t.

Wow more criticism of Hackenberg. I don’t get it. The kid was critical in the resurrection of the program both on and off the field. First, by still coming to Penn State when he could have went elsewhere which helped with recruiting. Second, by his play on the field. I think he gets far too much criticism and not enough credit for the times he played well. The kid was a drop back old style QB at a time when that wasn’t a good match because of the lousy OL play (due to the sanctions). He was sacked more than any QB his final season (please spare me the that was his fault because he held onto the ball too long; that may have been true on a few of the sacks, but not most of them). I won’t tell you that he wasn’t something of a disappointment given his 5 star status, but the kid came when he didn’t have to, gave his all every time he took the field, played well on more occasions than his many critics are willing to acknowledge and is loyal and true Penn Stater. I don’t get it. I really don’t.

Wow more criticism of Hackenberg. I don’t get it. The kid was critical in the resurrection of the program both on and off the field. First, by still coming to Penn State when he could have went elsewhere which helped with recruiting. Second, by his play on the field. I think he gets far too much criticism and not enough credit for the times he played well. The kid was a drop back old style QB at a time when that wasn’t a good match because of the lousy OL play (due to the sanctions). He was sacked more than any QB his final season (please spare me the that was his fault because he held onto the ball too long; that may have been true on a few of the sacks, but not most of them). I won’t tell you that he wasn’t something of a disappointment given his 5 star status, but the kid came when he didn’t have to, gave his all every time he took the field, played well on more occasions than his many critics are willing to acknowledge and is loyal and true Penn Stater. I don’t get it. I really don’t.

It would appear you didn’t even begin to understand my post, which is a shame since we obviously agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT