ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Peyton Manning while @ Tennessee

He's a civil rights activist. The point of the article is to suggest white athletes are getting better press than black ones. His contrast here is Manning versus Newton.

He's a civil rights activist. The point of the article is to suggest white athletes are getting better press than black ones. His contrast here is Manning versus Newton.

Why didn't he use Winston then if he was going the RIGHT NOW vs pre-facebook/Twitter? Newton hasn't had any crap like this dropped on his plate in spite of his past. Sexual assault is a notch above stealing, at least IMO.

Not to shoot the messenger, but this Shaun King is a less than trustworthy source. And we all know how court documents can be used to frame a narrative for media folks.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
Not to shoot the messenger, but this Shaun King is a less than trustworthy source. And we all know how court documents can be used to frame a narrative for media folks.

I agree and that is why I didn't want to put the words sexual or assault in the title to make the post seem like I was saying he was guilty of anything. We don't really know these guys but I would hope that he wasn't capable of something like that.

Reactions: Tri-Power65
In all honesty what's exactly news here? Im a big Colts fan and can remember reading about this early in Peytons career. This stuff has been known for years now. Why is King acting like no one has ever reported about it other than Brennan?

This kind of just came out of left field but isn't this then basically what slander is?

Not really out of left field. There have been articles written about this incident for years by people other than Christine Brennan and Shaun King.

"Slander" is spoken. "Libel" is printed. For something to be libelous it has to be demonstrated to be false. I doubt that you will see the Mannings sue.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
In all honesty what's exactly news here? Im a big Colts fan and can remember reading about this early in Peytons career. This stuff has been known for years now. Why is King acting like no one has ever reported about it other than Brennan?

Timing is everything and King may very well have an agenda. Let's say that he does. Next question: is the story true or not?

Not really out of left field. There have been articles written about this incident for years by people other than Christine Brennan and Shaun King.

"Slander" is spoken. "Libel" is printed. For something to be libelous it has to be demonstrated to be false.
I'll disagree-slightly. It's libelous if it IS false. But it does have to be proven to be false in order to hold the writer legally responsible for libel

Probably to make himself a splash and I contributed to his cause like an idiot just by posting it.

I follow everything pretty closely and I have never heard of this but to bring it up now is a really cheap tactic especially just on a whim from a comment directed at him from a random person.

And Art, I knew one way or other I was going to mix up libel or slander. I remember it going back and forth about Paterno for years about if some of the things being said/written were one or the other then his death actually becoming a part of the reason why the crap that was being said was not either.

I'll disagree-slightly. It's libelous if it IS false. But it does have to be proven to be false in order to hold the writer legally responsible for libel

I don't think so. My reading is that a statement has to be false in order for it to be defamatory.

In any case, the Mannings haven't previously sued any number of writers who have written similar stories. Doubt that they start now.

This is what stuck out to me. Along with a lot of the other statements it does stink.

"Before she left, though, two staff members of the school, according to the documents, asked Naughright if she would consider blaming the entire incident not on Manning, but on another athlete — a black one. According to Naughright, the staff members (named as Mr. Wyant and Mr. Rollo), went so far as to actually name a specific black athlete she could blame it on. Of course, she refused (see pages 18-19).

In her remaining time at the university, Naughright testified that Manning, in her presence, on two separate occasions, deliberately reenacted the sexual assault on other student athletes to terrorize her. On another occasion he allegedly called her a "bitch" in front of other athletes after snatching a marker used to label drug-test specimens from her hand and throwing it across the room (see page 22)."

Probably to make himself a splash and I contributed to his cause like an idiot just by posting it.

I follow everything pretty closely and I have never heard of this but to bring it up now is a really cheap tactic especially just on a whim from a comment directed at him from a random person.

And Art, I knew one way or other I was going to mix up libel or slander. I remember it going back and forth about Paterno for years about if some of the things being said/written were one or the other then his death actually becoming a part of the reason why the crap that was being said was not either.

Stories go back ten years or more.

I don't think so. My reading is that a statement has to be false in order for it to be defamatory.

In any case, the Mannings haven't previously sued any number of writers who have written similar stories. Doubt that they start now.
Correct, it has to be false. But if it's false, it's libel. My point was only that- libel is libel. Proven or not, it is what it is.
But to hold the writer accountable, you must prove it- and I think you also have to prove that the writer KNEW it was false, and acted with malice. That's why so many "writers" get away with it.

Correct, it has to be false. But if it's false, it's libel. My point was only that- libel is libel. Proven or not, it is what it is.
But to hold the writer accountable, you must prove it- and I think you also have to prove that the writer KNEW it was false, and acted with malice. That's why so many "writers" get away with it.

Agree. Don't doubt for a minute that the writer is trying to tar Peyton Manning. But it doesn't help Manning's case that he might have provided the tar.

Great timing. Tear down another American success story because we should all strive to be equal and not better than everyone else. Give Cam a participation trophy and be done with it!

It does seem like this is the time of year for them to get especially bored in the journalism profession.

It does seem like this is the time of year for them to get especially bored in the journalism profession.

Certainly true. But then one could also ask why Peyton had to include mention of Naughright in his book when he was long removed from Tennessee and had a non-disclosure agreement in hand. You wanna' play dirty, don't expect that a different set of rules to apply to you.

While I agree the timing of this is rather suspect and admit I don't know the writer, damn, that's a whole bunch of eye witness testimony against Manning's version of events. I've never seen or read anything on this until now. It's not hard to imagine Manning being an entitled, arrogant shyte when he was younger given his family pedigree, or his family trying to protect his/their image in the wake of possible issue. I'd like to see a little more info on the situation, doubt that will ever happen though.

I never trust a story that paints one person as an absolute perfect human being. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. This story is so slanted it's obviously aimed at trashing Manning.

Reactions: marshall23
Guys...let me point something out. First off, the story is not new at all. But some new court documents are....not before made available or at least revealed in the media. Peyton Manning is extremely lucky that he did this in a time when there was no Facebook, no twitter etc. This Shaun King guy is a clown but these court documents released are very damning of the Manning family. Don't ignore those.

make no mistake...Peyton manning absolutely did this...and admits it. He says however that he was just mooning a buddy and accidentally tea -bagged the trainer. However, the buddy who was there agreed with her side of the story and he later lost his scholarship....coincidence??? I do think Manning is probably a pretty decent guy who did something stupid 20 years ago...however, the lengths that his family went to make this go away is the sinister part of the story. Very sad!!!

While I agree the timing of this is rather suspect and admit I don't know the writer, damn, that's a whole bunch of eye witness testimony against Manning's version of events. I've never seen or read anything on this until now. It's not hard to imagine Manning being an entitled, arrogant shyte when he was younger given his family pedigree, or his family trying to protect his/their image in the wake of possible issue. I'd like to see a little more info on the situation, doubt that will ever happen though.

I have heard about this 'event' before (but it was long after Manning left Tennessee. It was buried when he was there). This has had several people's testimony over it and statements before as well as been in SI (or some similar sports site) so it's not a writer just trying to take down a big player. The issue is that there are members of the sports press who had no idea about this story. Many of them do seem to live in their own little isolated worlds.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Interesting how so many people want to shoot the messenger when their sports hero's image gets some dirt on it. I have heard accounts from people who were there about his infidelity in Florida. I laughed when he made the carefully crafted comment about hugging his wife and kids (before binge drinking Budweiser). None of what was written in that article surprised me much.

You would think that Lance Armstrong's saga would have taught us not to buy into the sports hero concept. It also gave a nice example of how far people will go to protect their extremely valuable image. How long did Jared Fogle keep up his lucrative facade?

I have heard about this 'event' before (but it was long after Manning left Tennessee. It was buried when he was there). This has had several people's testimony over it and statements before as well as been in SI (or some similar sports site) so it's not a writer just trying to take down a big player. The issue is that there are members of the sports press who had no idea about this story. Many of them do seem to live in their own little isolated worlds.
Remember this was the Fullmer era at TN - very similar to the current era at FSU - Phil was a tool and so is Jimbo so blame the victim is still the SOP there.

"Where you live probably determines how much you know or care about Southeastern Conference football. But in small- to medium-sized cities across the south — places like Knoxville, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Gainesville — SEC football is just a little more important than God."

lol... where have we heard this before?

"To say that her problems with Peyton Manning boiled over in 1996 would be understating it.

On Feb. 29 of that year, Naughright, at that point the university's director of health and wellness, was in a training room, examining what she thought might be a possible stress fracture in Manning's foot. At 6 feet, 5 inches, his feet dangled off the edge of the table. Manning allegedly then proceeded to scoot down the training table while Naughright examined his foot. At that point, she said, he forcefully maneuvered his naked testicles and rectum directly on her face with his penis on top of her head. Shocked, disgusted, and offended, Naughright pushed Manning away, removing her head out from under him (see pages 14-15). Within hours, she reported the incident to the Sexual Assault Crisis Center in Knoxville (see page 18)."

Reactions: Taylor ham
Don't even know what to think about this, especially given who the source was of the original articles that were buried(Chritine Brennan). Hopefully his act isn't all just a good show because he really does seem like a decent guy.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/natio...eaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395

I have no idea what happened, but the writer for the New York Daily News has a hard on for Manning. The article was a joke. It was taking the women's side of the story and presenting it as unassailable fact.

Guys...let me point something out. First off, the story is not new at all. But some new court documents are....not before made available or at least revealed in the media. Peyton Manning is extremely lucky that he did this in a time when there was no Facebook, no twitter etc. This Shaun King guy is a clown but these court documents released are very damning of the Manning family. Don't ignore those.

make no mistake...Peyton manning absolutely did this...and admits it. He says however that he was just mooning a buddy and accidentally tea -bagged the trainer. However, the buddy who was there agreed with her side of the story and he later lost his scholarship....coincidence??? I do think Manning is probably a pretty decent guy who did something stupid 20 years ago...however, the lengths that his family went to make this go away is the sinister part of the story. Very sad!!!

I think you hit the nail on the head. Manning has admitted that something did happen. There were two other people in the room besides Manning and the woman. One guy backs Manning and the other backed the woman. I think Manning did something stupid that he should have copped to, but like you I do think he he a good guy. From what I understand about the situation there was animosity between Manning and the accuser from the time he stepped on campus.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the world of college football, has ignored a grown man shoving his balls, penis, and anus, forcefully, on a woman, for 20 years, while crucifying an elderly man for not knowing that one of his assistants had concealed to him, and all of law enforcement, his crimes as a pedophile?

ok, that's what I thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT