ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: McQuade drops whistleblower suit

Why? Wasn't it easy money like everything else in this case? Don't tell me someone finally stood up and told mike they were going to call his bluff (i.e., shred him on the stand).

It's not like he dropped it without taking a huge settlement from the fine donors to penn state university.

Reactions: Sproul
Why? Wasn't it easy money like everything else in this case? Don't tell me someone finally stood up and told mike they were going to call his bluff (i.e., shred him on the stand).
Problem is they already had that opportunity and did so well at it that the jury awarded Mike $12 million. All this means is that a settlement was reached that was closer to $12 million than it was to zero.

Problem is they already had that opportunity and did so well at it that the jury awarded Mike $12 million. All this means is that a settlement was reached that was closer to $12 million than it was to zero.

Not necessarily. PSU has little incentive to settle at or near the amount of the jury award. Additional legal fess? Pfffttt, chump change as PSU regularly demonstrates.

From McQueary's standpoint, there is he risk that the award is reduced on appeal (not an infrequent occurrence). Further, it could be years before he ever sees a dime if the appeals process runs a full course. Do you think that Stroko........er, McQueary wants to take that risk?

Not necessarily. PSU has little incentive to settle at or near the amount of the jury award. Additional legal fess? Pfffttt, chump change as PSU regularly demonstrates.

From McQueary's standpoint, there is he risk that the award is reduced on appeal (not an infrequent occurrence). Further, it could be years before he ever sees a dime if the appeals process runs a full course. Do you think that Stroko........er, McQueary wants to take that risk?
If I was Mike I would have settled too in order to get the money. No doubt PSU lawyers could have tied it up for years. No matter what, Mike is now a rich man, not like he settled for five bucks and a cup of coffee.

Reactions: 91Joe95
why would his ex-wife get any money? Didnt the money come after the marriage was dissolved?
They were married when the incident (Sandusky arrest) and MM's subsequent removal from his position at PSU occurred. I could not answer when their divorce/or if it is final.

If I was Mike I would have settled too in order to get the money. No doubt PSU lawyers could have tied it up for years. No matter what, Mike is now a rich man, not like he settled for five bucks and a cup of coffee.

No doubt, which is infinitely more than he deserves. All because some nimrod in administration decided that he would be treated differently than the other coaches who were terminated. Now, McQueary can pay off his gambling debts.

No doubt, which is infinitely more than he deserves. All because some nimrod in administration decided that he would be treated differently than the other coaches who were terminated. Now, McQueary can pay off his gambling debts.

He can also upgrade his phone for one with a better camera for those dick pics. POS that he is.

Indeed--and that's HR 101.

Reactions: Bob78
Which is to say not deserving at all.
I suppose you could interpret it that way. I have more sympathy for the ex wife, it must have been difficult to deal with the public attention and then find out about the other issues with your husband. I believe there is a daughter as well. If so, I hope she is too young to use the internet. I count these two among the many who were hurt thru no fault of their own.

Indeed--and that's HR 101.

It is shocking how the Penn State administrators, (not to mention the university lawyers), allowed that to happen.

Even if Erickson, Joyner and company really were that stupid, you'd expect the lawyers would not allow them to open up the university to losing another $12 million.

It likely speaks to how out of touch with reality and arrogant they all were thinking the rules didn't apply to them. (Not to mention the lack of opposition or any questioning by the full BoT).

Not sure how the PSU lawyers still have jobs at Penn State after the incompetence.

It is shocking how the Penn State administrators, (not to mention the university lawyers), allowed that to happen.

Even if Erickson, Joyner and company really were that stupid, you'd expect the lawyers would not allow them to open up the university to losing another $12 million.

It likely speaks to how out of touch with reality and arrogant they all were thinking the rules didn't apply to them. (Not to mention the lack of opposition or any questioning by the full BoT).

Not sure how the PSU lawyers still have jobs at Penn State after the incompetence.
I think they may know where the skeleton is hidden.

Can someone refresh my memory... how was MM treated differently?

they didn't give him his bonus money due to the bowl game. they took away his car and some other fringe benefits. basically treated him like he was fired when all that was done was he was put on paid leave. but the biggest issue appeared to be that he wasn't hired on by BOB and that the way PSU treated him prevented him from getting another coaching job. so essentially he tallied up what a typical Div 1A position coach makes, multiplied it by a lifetime of employment and that is how the $12 million figure was arrived at.

off the top of my head, ....
he wasnt allowed to coach any longer
they took away his dealer car
they took away his PSU issued cell phone
he wasnt paid for the bowl game (they did pay him much later)
I dont think he even got an interview with B'OB like the others did

I suppose you could interpret it that way. I have more sympathy for the ex wife, it must have been difficult to deal with the public attention and then find out about the other issues with your husband. I believe there is a daughter as well. If so, I hope she is too young to use the internet. I count these two among the many who were hurt thru no fault of their own.
Understand, but Penn State shouldn't be paying for all that. MM himself should.

Reactions: RussianEagle

Baldwin set the standard that few ever achieve.

Maybe it was intentional. Another ember to keep the fire going when the rest burn out in the minds of the public and media. Nothing would surprise me.

You're missing one... perhaps the craziest one... one that was definitely pointed out to the jury in McQueary civil trial.

On Sunday 11/13/2011, PSU formally banned McQueary from any football facilities.

Contrast that with the fact Sandusky was out on bail at the time, and that Sandusky was never banned from any football facilities.

30jgsg2.jpg

You're missing one... perhaps the craziest one... one that was definitely pointed out to the jury in McQueary civil trial.

On Sunday 11/13/2011, PSU formally banned McQueary from any football facilities.

Contrast that with the fact Sandusky was out on bail at the time, and that Sandusky was never banned from any football facilities.

30jgsg2.jpg

JimmyW, you're going to have to write the book on this catastrophe. I don't think I'd trust anyone else.

Wow, considering he was the second most responsible for this mess after JS... I know a guy who also wasn't allowed to coach any more despite doing exactly what he was supposed to. It seems that PSU really owes him an apology.

Now, Art, Joyner is not just "some nimrod". He is a terrific nimrod.

And he was all ours just at just the right moments in our history.....

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Maybe it was intentional. Another ember to keep the fire going when the rest burn out in the minds of the public and media. Nothing would surprise me.
Doubtful, but they weren’t following good guidance if they’d received it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT