ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: #1 MLAX Recruit Brennan O'Neil (PSU Commit)

It’s becoming huge in the wealthier areas around Austin, though baseball is ENORMOUS here.

I don’t have first-hand knowledge as my kids don’t play sports, but I assume the kids like the fast-pace and the cool gear in particular. There were never many public school boys teams where I grew up in Delco - it was played by the rich kids at Episcopal, etc, but that looks like it has changed drastically.

But Delco and rest of SEPA was always a female lacrosse hotbed. Half our national teams were from there generally it seemed.

The fact that simply keeps referencing "lax bro" shows his bias. That is oftentimes a negative descriptor of a lacrosse player.
This is who I think of when I hear “lax bro”. Most don’t bash their girlfriend’s head in during a drunken rage - most were just entitled dicks from Landon, Woodberry Forest, Haverford School, etc. I’m glad more middle-class kids are taking it up so it won’t be solely the province of dudes named Hutch or Gabby.

yeardley-love.jpg

It’s becoming huge in the wealthier areas around Austin, though baseball is ENORMOUS here.

I don’t have first-hand knowledge as my kids don’t play sports, but I assume the kids like the fast-pace and the cool gear in particular. There were never many public school boys teams where I grew up in Delco - it was played by the rich kids at Episcopal, etc, but that looks like it has changed drastically.

But Delco and rest of SEPA was always a female lacrosse hotbed. Half our national teams were from there generally it seemed.

I'm forcing my kids to go to public school, at least for now, and it's funny that, while we live amongst a grouping of well-off towns, the kids that have gravitated toward lax in this area are the more middle-class kids. In the spring, the rich kids are either doing baseball or soccer. It'll be interesting to see what happens when/if lax picks up popularity with the better athletes across the board. When the next Saquon, or Miles Sanders, picks up a spoon instead of the rock, how will the lax bros respond? Which sport will they gravitate toward next? Tennis bros? Hockey bros? Men's field hockey bros?

You have been gone too long. Lax is huge in SE PA and Delco.
Yeah - crazy growth. When I was growing up in the 80s, it was Long Island, Upstate, Baltimore region, Main Line and other wealthy areas around a few mid-Atlantic/New England cities, and a tiny pocket in Colorado.

While I was at Penn, we had great teams under Tony Seaman. I rehabbed my knee with several of the lacrosse players. In 1988, we lost in the Final Four on an “Air Gait” goal by Gary Gait of Syracuse with 3 seconds left. Otherwise, we had a very good chance to win it all as Syracuse won the final pretty easily. Great sport to watch, though I only goofed around with it to help my sister who was a goalie for our high school.

I'm forcing my kids to go to public school, at least for now, and it's funny that, while we live amongst a grouping of well-off towns, the kids that have gravitated toward lax in this area are the more middle-class kids. In the spring, the rich kids are either doing baseball or soccer. It'll be interesting to see what happens when/if lax picks up popularity with the better athletes across the board. When the next Saquon, or Miles Sanders, picks up a spoon instead of the rock, how will the lax bros respond? Which sport will they gravitate toward next? Tennis bros? Hockey bros? Men's field hockey bros?
Evan Royster was a highly recruited lacrosse player (UVA and Hopkins) but he chose football here.

I'm sure you weren't aware of the story (being from Mass) Chris Hogan played lacrosse at Penn State before transitioning back to football.

So, the question is, with basically no real future, beyond college, in the sport comprised of failed baseball players, why would anyone who was good enough to go wherever they wanted chose PSU when you could go to Johns Hopkins, Yale, Penn, Cornell, etc. and still play top level competition? Get the best education you can out of these sports that don't have legitimate professional futures (in the short-term), kids.

You’re an idiot if you’re implying what I think you are....

not to mention: baseball players essentially just stand around and pick their ass most of the time... successful lax coaches are tapping BASKETBALL players as their best prospects as the fundamentals are already there... beyond that, fewer and fewer kids are even thinking/dabbling in baseball these days... I’m seeing more football-defectors in lax than baseball kids

Lax players, the good ones as well as the less-skilled, hafta be real tough bastards who dish out / absorb some viscious hits...

Breaking news: charlie hough would have been killed playing lacrosee (though he could have at least burned someone with his cigarette)

Last edited:
Reactions: ram2020

This has already happened in NY (Long Isl. and Central/Western NY in particular) quite some time ago

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
You’re an idiot if you’re implying what I think you are....

I'm pretty sure I didn't imply anything ... I stated it outright.

not to mention: baseball players essentially just stand around and pick their ass most of the time... successful lax coaches are tapping BASKETBALL players as their best prospects as the fundamentals are already there... beyond that, fewer and fewer kids are even thinking/dabbling in baseball these days... I’m seeing more football-defectors in lax than baseball kids

Football and lax are different seasons. True story.

I'm speaking to early adopters. Youth.

Lax players, the good ones as well as the less-skilled, hafta be real tough bastards who dish out / absorb some viscious hits...

Grrrr!

Breaking news: charlie hough would have been killed playing lacrosee (though he could have at least burned someone with his cigarette)

Cool story. What does this have to do with anything?

Jim Brown, I like him very much, but he no hit curveball.

The truest measure of an athlete....can he stand still and swing a stick and make contact with a baseball. Forget speed, agility, jumping ability......just can he hit a fastball with a bat. Lax players play lax because they simply can't produce that feat of mankind. They also are not adept at standing around and chewing tobacco while the game drones on. They are told this at a young age, call it 10 years old, that they will never be able to do it, so why don't they just pick up lacrosse...same seasons.

Yes, my son coached d for GVHS and had four AA long poles while coaching for LI legend Frank Urso.
Years ago I saw Frank the crank draw up his 'circle ' offense. had 6 guys in a circle around the goal, basically just threw it around to somebody had a shot.

The truest measure of an athlete....can he stand still and swing a stick and make contact with a baseball. Forget speed, agility, jumping ability......just can he hit a fastball with a bat. Lax players play lax because they simply can't produce that feat of mankind. They also are not adept at standing around and chewing tobacco while the game drones on. They are told this at a young age, call it 10 years old, that they will never be able to do it, so why don't they just pick up lacrosse...same seasons.

Lax players play lax because they're pretty good (at least) athletes. Lax players try lax because they can't throw or hit a fastball. You're catching on.

Now recommence "this guy totally goes against your statement" anecdotes ... annnnnnd ... GO!

Lax players play lax because they're pretty good (at least) athletes. Lax players try lax because they can't throw or hit a fastball. You're catching on.

Now recommence "this guy totally goes against your statement" anecdotes ... annnnnnd ... GO!

Im good with all of it minus the part about guys that can't hit a fastball play lacrosse. Maybe....maybe that was true in the 70's, but its just not now and it really does not even make sense. Are you suggesting that youth coaches in baseball actually tell kids who LOVE baseball to hang it up at 10 years old if they can't hit? To go play lacrosse? Or are you suggesting that a kid that again, LOVES baseball, acknowledges he is'nt good at baseball so he voluntarily leaves baseball to play lacrosse? If the kid is good at lacrosse, he is probably fast...athletic and has tremendous hand/eye coordination. If he was playing the same sport as Bartolo Colon.....he made the right move switching to lacrosse.

Can we take a poll right now? I'm confused which sport I'm supposed to like. Please place in order of precedence so I am no longer confused.

Baseball
Basketball
Bowling
Football
Golf
Hockey
Lacrosse
Slow pitch softball
Track and Field

Feel free to add any I missed.

I put SimplyConstipated on the Ignore List quite awhile ago but decided to see who and what you were responding to -- an obvious reminder of why he's on that list.
SimplyConstipated ……… that describes this tool completely!!!! I grew up in upstate NY a long time ago …… let's just say that when I was young, Ben Schwartzwalder was the SU coach ……. when we were in high school, the three sports that the "stars" played were football, wrestling, and lacrosse. Some guys played BB in the winter but baseball was a "poor" afterthought. Jim Rosecrans starred with Greg Buttle at PSU but went to our HS and was a better lacrosse player than football player in HS ……. this BS about lacrosse being a new thing that "failed baseball players" pick up is as big 'a piece a crap' as "SimplyC" is!!!!

I have read that to be proficient in any sport takes a 10,000 hour commitment. Every sport has its unique challenges. Hitting a pitched baseball is very difficult. Hitting a still, on the ground golf ball is difficult. Mastering the QB position is difficult. Running a marathon is difficult. Try triple jumping 58' .... we could go on.

My first men's lax game as a spectator was as an undergrad. Great sport to play and a great spectator sport. Not surprised as to how it has gained in popularity throughout our country. It is huge in SE PA.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Way OT: I know the assistant coach from that '88 Penn team. Our daughters play together in college.

That semi-final was an incredible game. You can still watch it on Youtube. "Air Gait" is at 7:30-ish and again at 14:40
Cool. I rehabbed with a guy named Tom Burns who sat out that year. I also knew the Kelly brothers (Mike and Tom?). I think they all went to Ward-Melville in Suffolk County. I played soccer with one of their classmates at Penn for a year.

From what I can remember, the lacrosse team was like a feeder to Penn’s FIJI chapter

My nephew was just offered by Villanova. He just visited UVA and Denver is calling. PSU is a school he’d love to hear from. Also being recruited by some D1 basketball programs on west coast, the Ivies and in between.

Years ago I saw Frank the crank draw up his 'circle ' offense. had 6 guys in a circle around the goal, basically just threw it around to somebody had a shot.

I'm told Joe and PSU spoke with him about playing football at PSU. He did get a free agent tryout with either the Colts or Skins.

I love baseball and lacrosse. That being said, we got another one for the the rarefied "ignore" list.

FTR - Brown played both lacrosse and baseball at Syracuse, although he mainly pitched, so I'm not sure how good a curveball hitter he was..

He played lacrosse, football, basketball and track & field at Syracuse. He did not play baseball.

Last edited:
My nephew was just offered by Villanova. He just visited UVA and Denver is calling. PSU is a school he’d love to hear from. Also being recruited by some D1 basketball programs on west coast, the Ivies and in between.
Must be quite an athlete.

I couldn't tell you who the better athletes were when I was growing up because lacrosse was not an option. It was as foreign to me as cricket. I wasn't exposed to it until college and I quickly gained a hatred for the lacrosse players who lived above me in the dorm. They insisted on bouncing those balls on the floor at all hours. They may as well have been beating a bass drum for those of us below them. A few of us went to watch them play and we got a good laugh when they came out in their pads and helmets. They had their faces painted up with eye black. They looked tough until they started playing. It reminded me a lot of floor hockey.

I am in no way agreeing that they are baseball rejects (although I do have 2 nephews in NJ that quit baseball after sitting the bench and ended up being decent lax players). I just wanted to share the silly reason why I didn't like lax players.

Our lax team is high school was mostly made up of kids who grew up playing and soccer players the lax coach recruited who didn’t play spring sports. We had one or two starters from the baseball team come over, both played d1 lacrosse and one now coaches it so I’d say it worked out. The kids who weren’t good enough to hack it in baseball weren’t athletic enough to hack it in lacrosse.

So, the question is, with basically no real future, beyond college, in the sport comprised of failed baseball players, why would anyone who was good enough to go wherever they wanted chose PSU when you could go to Johns Hopkins, Yale, Penn, Cornell, etc. and still play top level competition? Get the best education you can out of these sports that don't have legitimate professional futures (in the short-term), kids.

Baseball?? Hilarious. "Hey, mom, I've decided to go to State U so I can be on the path to the big leagues." Too funny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT