ADVERTISEMENT

SI.com lists McSorley as a Heisman front runner for 2018

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001

630814112-rose-bowl-game-presented-by-northwestern-mutual-usc-v-penn-state.jpg.jpg

Trace McSorley, QB, Penn State

With Saquon Barkley probably headed to the NFL—and possibly getting picked in the top three—McSorley will have to carry more of the load in Penn State’s offense. That should be fine for a guy who plays in a similar fashion to the quarterback who just won the Heisman. The promotion of quarterbacks coach Ricky Rahne to offensive coordinator following Joe Moorhead’s departure for Mississippi State should allow for continuity that should only help McSorley.

Reactions: Zenophile and Bob78
3rd year starting qb in a presumably explosive offense on a team that should contend for a conference title and playoff bid is going to get preseason recognition.
And why not........he was on the watch list at the beginning of this season. He was still there until PSU really started the SB campaign. He should be a frontrunner next year.

Reactions: gogolion
I have not even watched the presentation for about 6 or 7 years. I read that this year fewer viewed the award presentation than ever before. If I want to watch some clown who had to be tackled by cops get drooled all over for an hour.....I should have my head examined.
If a PSU kid wins great, but I would much prefer seeing the team win the conference and or get a bid to the CP.

I have not even watched the presentation for about 6 or 7 years. I read that this year fewer viewed the award presentation than ever before. If I want to watch some clown who had to be tackled by cops get drooled all over for an hour.....I should have my head examined.
If a PSU kid wins great, but I would much prefer seeing the team win the conference and or get a bid to the CP.

I agree with you 100%, I haven’t watched a single minute of the Heisman ceremonies in years.

Was really disappointed when I looked at the vote totals.....and looked at the wording in the award itself. It seems that there were maybe only a few voters in the entire country that took into account Mayfield’s long list of anti-Heisman-like actions.

Penn State is still toxic to a lot of fans.....and voters.....across the country. I’m convinced even if he had had a spectacular year and won the Heisman, there would have been a record number of voters that simply refused to put his name on the ballot even at the #3 spot.

He would have given one of the most humble acceptance speeches of all time.

But he was right wasn't he? You meant to say you can't see him winning it....certainly can't see anything positive where Penn State football is concerned.

Being blind toward reality isn't necessary to be a fan. I don't believe anyone here actually thinks he wins the Heisman next year. If you do then you're delusional and simply biased. I don't believe we'll be as good or better next year. You do. Time will tell

Being blind toward reality isn't necessary to be a fan. I don't believe anyone here actually thinks he wins the Heisman next year. If you do then you're delusional and simply biased. I don't believe we'll be as good or better next year. You do. Time will tell
It all depends on numbers....if Trace can put up numbers l, he can win it (as we saw this year).

It all depends on numbers....if Trace can put up numbers l, he can win it (as we saw this year).

You believe he's capable of putting up numbers like Mayfield. I don't=-especially without Barkley. Even if nothing else--Barkley's ability to create passing lanes due to him being a huge threat and ability to pick up the blitz. Hope you're right--I'm not seeing it.

You believe he's capable of putting up numbers like Mayfield. I don't=-especially without Barkley. Even if nothing else--Barkley's ability to create passing lanes due to him being a huge threat and ability to pick up the blitz. Hope you're right--I'm not seeing it.
He won't put up the same type of numbers because he's not in the Big 12....the land of no defense. There will be at least three QB's in the Big 12 next year that put up better numbers, but if he has the best numbers in the Big he will be in the discussion.

He won't put up the same type of numbers because he's not in the Big 12....the land of no defense. There will be at least three QB's in the Big 12 next year that put up better numbers, but if he has the best numbers in the Big he will be in the discussion.

McSorley has a chance to put up better numbers next year than this year. For one thing, he should continue to improve. Secondly, the offensive line will be more experienced and hopefully better next year. Thirdly, with a better offensive line and defenses not keying so much on the running back (assuming no Barkley), the running game could be better next year. Fourth, although we lose Hamilton and Gesicki, other receivers should improve with another year under their belts.

Penn State could have a better offensive line and a more balanced offense next year, which could help McSorley tremendously. Finally, Shorter may be a stud downfield threat as a freshman.

Reactions: Judge Smails

That's a big if and I still don't see how he'd match guys in other conferences. Numbers sadly matter most. Barkley proves that unfortunately

That's a big if and I still don't see how he'd match guys in other conferences. Numbers sadly matter most. Barkley proves that unfortunately
Why is that a big if? He's been the best QB in the Big the last two years in a row. He won't match some of the guys in the Big12, but that's the case every year and Big 12 QB's don't win the Heisman every year.

McSorley only stands a chance if Gus promotes him from his wizard status to conductor status.

You don't see it because as a Buckeye fan you don't want to see it!!!! Every message that you write is an attempt to disparage the PSU program in some manner ------ you are such a "great" fan!!!

Reactions: Judge Smails
Why is that a big if? He's been the best QB in the Big the last two years in a row. He won't match some of the guys in the Big12, but that's the case every year and Big 12 QB's don't win the Heisman every year.

You keep saying that he was the best. That's opinion not a fact. If he can't match guys like Kyler Murray next year then he can't win a Heisman. I don't even see how he matches Tate at Arizona or Darnold if he returns

You don't see it because as a Buckeye fan you don't want to see it!!!! Every message that you write is an attempt to disparage the PSU program in some manner ------ you are such a "great" fan!!!

So saying Trace isn't going to win a Heisman is disparaging the program. lol

You keep saying that he was the best. That's opinion not a fact. If he can't match guys like Kyler Murray next yesterday he can't win a Heisman. I don't even see how he matches Tate at Arizona or Darnold if he returns
He was the best in the Big....tell me who was better. And why can't he match those other guys? Just because you don't want him to doesn't mean he can't.

He was the best in the Big....tell me who was better. And why can't he match those other guys? Just because you don't want him to doesn't mean he can't.

Don't want him to? Seriously?
Statistically Barrett is right there with him. You can argue either one. We've discussed this
Talent wise Thorson is the best (third team Big Ten) and the draft will prove that

Don't want him to? Seriously?
Statistically Barrett is right there with him. You can argue either one. We've discussed this
Talent wise Thorson is the best (third team Big Ten) and the draft will prove that
And Ohio State's weakness has been Barrett's inconsistency....so he's out. And third team Big 10 isn't as good as second team and McSorley will be the leading candidate to be first team Big Ten next season. So McSorley will likely be the leading QB candidate for the Heisman in the Big 10, so that would put him in the discussion.

And Ohio State's weakness has been Barrett's inconsistency....so he's out. And third team Big 10 isn't as good as second team and McSorley will be the leading candidate to be first team Big Ten next season. So McSorley will likely be the leading QB candidate for the Heisman in the Big 10, so that would put him in the discussion.

Wait so third team isn't as good as second but second is better than first? Hmmm

There's a decent change McSorley is the best QB in the Big Ten next year but no QB in the Big Ten this year was in the running. Taylor is going to be the guy the Big Ten pushes IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT